• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle optics Denali Scope (1 Viewer)

With an angled scope you can get away with a pretty low compact tripod. There are probably some models out there. The monopod just is not that good. Binoculars work in hand due to the low power and two handed holding.

Many people find a cheap window mount useful. I think the straight works better, but I do not use one.

Thanks Frank and Tero,

Regarding the Celestron, are you familiar with its carrying case? Does it provide decent protection and is it convenient to carry?

If not a monopod, any suggestions for a compact tripod?

Les

It does come with a carrying case. I sold mine to Kevin Purcell (another poster on here) a year or two ago but I do have the ED version of the scope due in any day now. I will comment on the case when it arrives. From what I remember it is certainly serviceable for general transportation but I do not remember it being a "stay on" case for regular use. I could be mistaken though.

As for the tripod question, though I do use a very sturdy B-M 3130 head with 3001 BN legs as my primary tripod I do enjoy using the Bogen Manfrotto 718B as my choice for something extremely portable (lightweight and compact). It is not the sturdiest tripod out there but I certainly find it more than serviceable when I need a solid and yet very lightweight setup that will extend up to my 6'4" height. For $80 you really cannot complain.

Frank,

As of now, I am planning on purchasing the Celestron and the Manfrotto 7188 tripod. Thanks for the information. However, I will have to wait until May of 2010 as that is when my wife will be in the US a second time. This December she will be hand carrying back to the US for me a ZEN ED 8x43 and a ZRS 10x42 and I have to broach the subject of more optics to her in a time appropriate manner (whenever that might be?).

In the meantime, I look forward to your feedback on the ED version of the Celestron as perhaps I can move my budgeted money around for the next two years (less spent on birding trips?) and upgrade a bit if the EDs prove to be worth it? Comments on the carrying case would be helpful.

Les

Les,

I would be more than happy to share my experiences with the ED version of the Celestron Ultima 65. One word of warning though, I plan on putting the Baader Hyperion Zoom on it. From what I read of the regular Celestron 65/Hyperion zoom combination the image quality is very good. I am expecting equally good if not better performance from the Baader/Ultima ED combo.

I am curious, is the issue of purchasing the scope/tripod just one of the wife's approval or is it an issue with shipping outside of the US from US retailers?

Frank,

As I have no immediate plans in going back to the states to visit, the real issue is that my wife is the one that has to lug whatever I purchase with her from the states to Mexico. With all of the other items that she will be bringing back of mine in her luggage (in particular other birding paraphanelia and lots and lots of Asian cookery ingredients) on the plane there is no way that she would also bring a scope and tripod so they will have to wait for her trip to Texas in May of next year.
Delivery to the part of Mexico that we are in is problematic at best and quite expensive.
Por ejemplo, my brother-in-law had sent to Maria three cameras about 3 years ago that never arrived.
The IRS sent a Federal tax return check to us that never arrived and now its going to be a hassle and quite time delayed to get another one.
Dealing with some of the retailers is also problematic in terms of international transactions to Mexico.
On the purchase of the two pairs of binoculars ZEN-RAY was a pleasure doing business with as I had a sister-in-law in California mail pre-signed personal checks to them and as soon as the checks cleared they were shipped and arrived safely in California and are now waiting for Maria to transport them back to me.

Les

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back