• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody got the minolta A1 yet (1 Viewer)

pete schofield

Has anyone got one of these beasties yet, and if so what are your first thoughts and what if anything are you comparing it with.

We are thinking of having a good luck at one for her indoors, she likes the anti-shake idea. Also important is the macro capability so comments on this feature welcomed.

If Carole gets one we will have a coolpix 995/4500 going for sale.

Many thanks

Peter

I have had the Minolta Dimage Z1 for 4 weeks and never go anywhere without it. It is quite brilliant. Macro is superb and the 10x zoom is excellent if you can keep it still - tripod recommended. No good for digiscoping so far as I can see - problem keeping it still. Fantastic camera. Rechargeable batteries are a must and a large SD card 256mb.
Brian

We are shopping for one. Still getting the details of use.
I only want to purchase a SLR camera with the anti shake capabilities.
The new Panasonic DMZ-FZ-10K also has that feature.
It is quite a bit less money and it does have the optical zoom 12X. Suppose to be quite the camera[???]

Peter
If you do decide to sell the Coolpix 995 I would be interested depending on price and condition. Can collect.
Malcolm

I am sure those who have posted are aware of this, but just to make sure any one looking in is aware of it, the A1/Z1 optical cannot be compared to the FZ10 optical. The A1 is 7X, the Z1 10X and the FZ10 is 12X. While that is substantial in and of itself, the Minolta A1 starts out at 28mm, the Z1 starts at 38mm, whereas the FZ10 starts out at 35mm. So the best reach you can get with the A1 is just under 200mm, the Z1 is 380mm, whereas with the FZ10 420mm. Trust me, each of these is a significant difference, particularly that the FZ10 has a little more MP to it than the Z1. (Note: I am only referring to reach, not image quality. Since reach is of utmost importance with birds, I wanted to be sure everyone is aware of this)

Last edited:
Brian, thank you for the info..yes, am aware of it..but this is going to be our first digital camera purchase.
We are not the most experienced photographers..nor are we computer savey either.
I have come to a stumble on the Panasonic DMC-FZ-10k...some of the reviews have said it is very uncomfortable to handle[??] and that since I run a iMac OSX 10.3..that I may not be able to use it..other than in my 'Classic' mode[which is a mode that I do not use]
Its very confusing for us..since we are not computer savey at this time. Another Mac user told me to buy a card reader[???] and another said not to use the software with either the Minolta or the Panasonic..I have tried to get the info from both camera companies..but have had little response to my questions on whether or not I can use either one with the system 10.3Panther or not..they more or less just tell me that it is compatible with 'Classic' mode
So...still shopping...and trying to get educated on the cameras.
Thanks for the reply..any bit of info is very important to a novice. Its a lot of money to spend and do want to have a little knowledge with the purchase.

Hello nesting, didn't realize you were from my old stomping grounds of CA (well, depending on where you live).

Have you tried www.dpreview.com? If not, go under their forum section (you should see it on the left side once you open the home page). They have a specific Minolta and Panasonic forums, so ask there about the iMac and I guarantee somebody will know the answer to that question.

BTW, if you are not familiar with that site, go under the review section and look at the reviews of these two cameras. Phil (the owner there) does a very thorough review.

Hi nesting4
I run Macos X at school and have tried many types of digital camera, although not Minolta, and have yet to find one that iPhoto does not automatically recognise and download. Just plug any camera to the USB port and it will launch iPhoto and display thumbnails ready to download - don't worry about 'classic'.

Leigh

Thanks guys..very much appreciate any info that I can get regarding compatibility of these cameras with my new imac.

Yes Brian...we are in the Central Coast of Calif....Small Monterey Pine stand...oceanside community.
The bird life here is unbelieveable in abundance..from song birds, predtors..marsh and ocean birds seen on a daily basis..and year round.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back