• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod heads (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
Can anyone recomend the best head for digiscoping, I currently have a manfrotto 128 RC (which I cannot fit on my new tripod legs) which although a very good head I am increasingly finding it anoying when used with digiscoping, due to the fluid head re-adjustment when fully locked.

has anyone tried one of the ball heads or are they to small?

All help much appreciated.

Ashley beolens said:
Can anyone recomend the best head for digiscoping, I currently have a manfrotto 128 RC (which I cannot fit on my new tripod legs) which although a very good head I am increasingly finding it anoying when used with digiscoping, due to the fluid head re-adjustment when fully locked.

has anyone tried one of the ball heads or are they to small?

All help much appreciated.

Ball heads work, but the problem that is frequently cited is that if you loosen the head a bit too much the scope will flop over. You also have to set the tension on the ballhead precisely so that you can move the scope smoothly. Finally, there is no handle to hold onto so you have to get used to simply moving the scope itself.

I use a ballhead with a Wimberley Sidekick gimbal device attached. This allows me to balance the scope precisely on the ball head so that it is "weightless" and will not flop over. This is an expensive solution, however. I already had the ball head (for photography) and then added the Sidekick for use with long telephoto lenses. It was as a matter of in-the-field convenience that I started using this rig for my spotting scope, as well.

I actually used to use a large fluid head with the scope, and I thought it worked very well.

I use a Slik D3 tripod & head which features a handle that you twist to tighten,which I prefer to the Manfrotto head which suffered from not staying in place.I have seen people use the D3 head on a benbo tripod,so you might be able to fit it to yours.
Regards Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back