• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS - Value vs. Warranty (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I have been watching the recent threads and excitement over the Canon's.

I must admit I have not tried the IS, but am conservative in nature, and
probably never will.

I do like nice optics, and have noticed the short 3 yr. warranty from Canon,
on the IS styles. That seems very short compared to all of the others, on
regular optics, and that is one thing that would really trouble me.

I do see why many are drawn to the 10x30 selling under $350.00, as if they
do go bad after that time, the repair will be more than value, so just throw
them in the dumpster.

And how about the 10x42 L IS, which lists for $1,599.00, and still
has the 3 yr. warranty, I am wondering who would go for that deal. Also
the 10x42 weighs 37 oz. and that is a heavy load.

A recent post on Cloudy Nites, has some wondering the same, about
the short warranty, all the electronics, and how do these fit in todays,
throw away world. ;)

Jerry

I think comparing Canon IS electronic binoculars to traditional binoculars is just apples and oranges...FWIW note a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III camera which lists for $6,999 comes with a 1 year warranty.

probably never will.

them in the dumpster.

throw away world. ;)

Jerry

Well Jerry, that is an understandable opinion. If what you have works, why fix it. I get that. What I don't get is the degree of skepticism that leads to the statement you probably never will try them.

That Canon 10x42 L IS will likely equal or defeat anything you have in terms of image optics. You don't have to change over to the IS world, but you should know something about what IS represents. You don't do yourself any favors by avoiding the issue. You will learn a lot in a few minutes with that glass. Yeah it's big, but there are trade offs everyplace.

Even old guard high end makers like Leica and Zeiss with their combo rangefinders and binoculars shave warranty significantly. I think IS has a long way that it will come in short time. It is likely the wave of the future as I see it.

Most modern electronics are unfixable.
For example, Intel processors around 1500 contacts. No one could repair such a device.
So the warranty is only for a reasonable time, long enough for the device to become obsolescent.

Imo, digital optics such as cameras or IS binoculars are evolving towards a more realistic warranty period, long enough to catch infant mortality failures, but not much more, simply because there is no possibility of economic repair. This might be used as a marketing tool by the old line binocular makers who otherwise cannot keep up with the costs of electronic integration.

I guess this thread may be about the electronic and digital age, and how it does
relate to many things today. I am well aware of the technology, as I have a new
digital camera with a 1 yr. warranty, etc. The fact, that todays computers, have a
useful life of 3 yrs. or less.
Walter, does mention the short 1 yr. warranty on the high-end Canon camera, ouch!

In cameras, digital has quickly become the norm. But in binoculars, the IS tech. has
a very small part of the market. I am thinking that will be the case for many years to
come, I hope. Much of my viewing gets by quite nicely with the current technology.
I suppose it is good that sites like this do expand all of the technology available.

As one who has not tried the IS, I do hear from those who use them that the optics are not up to the standards, of many conventional makes, in terms of all of the optical
qualities that make the best try to be better. That is in, resolution, brightness, edge
quality, CA reduction, etc.

If the main thing the IS technology brings to the market, is just image "stabilization",
that may be important, but, it does come down to the "image", and isn't that what
most of us are seeking? If the image is better in the optics many are using now, and
is perfectly stable, and satisfactory, then that is why the technology is in question.

I recently posted a question about binocular ratings, and rankings. I would sure like to see how the Canons compare. These are all tripod mounted to be sure.

Jerry

I guess this thread may be about the electronic and digital age, and how it does
relate to many things today. I am well aware of the technology, as I have a new
digital camera with a 1 yr. warranty, etc. The fact, that todays computers, have a
useful life of 3 yrs. or less.
Walter, does mention the short 1 yr. warranty on the high-end Canon camera, ouch!

In cameras, digital has quickly become the norm. But in binoculars, the IS tech. has
a very small part of the market. I am thinking that will be the case for many years to
come, I hope. Much of my viewing gets by quite nicely with the current technology.
I suppose it is good that sites like this do expand all of the technology available.

As one who has not tried the IS, I do hear from those who use them that the optics are not up to the standards, of many conventional makes, in terms of all of the optical
qualities that make the best try to be better. That is in, resolution, brightness, edge
quality, CA reduction, etc.

If the main thing the IS technology brings to the market, is just image "stabilization",
that may be important, but, it does come down to the "image", and isn't that what
most of us are seeking? If the image is better in the optics many are using now, and
is perfectly stable, and satisfactory, then that is why the technology is in question.

I recently posted a question about binocular ratings, and rankings. I would sure like to see how the Canons compare. These are all tripod mounted to be sure.

Jerry

Jerry
Take it from me. Give the Canon 10x42 L IS's a try sometime. Even without the IS engaged their optics are I assure you equal to any alpha out there. With the IS on they produce the best image and the most detail I have ever seen from any binocular. Their edge sharpness is the BEST I have ever seen. I am going down to one binocular and I want the best view I can get and I am willing to hold 36 oz. to get it. I sold my Zeiss 8x32 FL's, Nikon 8x30 EII's, and my Canon 10x30 IS's. The Canon 10x42 L IS's are big but man what a view. I compared them and their was no question which binocular for me produced the best view and the winner is the Canon 10x42 L IS. Try em.

probably never will.

them in the dumpster.

throw away world. ;)

Jerry

Jerry
You can get the Canon 10x42 L IS from Amazon.com for $1100.00 with free shipping. If you don't like them you can easily return them. Read all the reviews on them on Amazon. They are rated 5 stars. Try them and see what you think. They are big but give them a chance.

Jerry

I have to agree with Dennis. The image is alpha. IS pretty much means no tripod. The image is not second rate even in the Canon models below the L IS.

As far as hearing from others that the optics are somehow second rate, maybe they are talking about something else.

You need to look at these things for yourself. When you do you might wonder some about this thread. They were for me a real experience. I am still steady enough with conventional glass but the 10x42 L IS has my attention and I am considering a pair.

Last edited:
Jerry

I have to agree with Dennis. The image is alpha. IS pretty much means no tripod. The image is not second rate even in the Canon models below the L IS.

As far as hearing from others that the optics are somehow second rate, maybe they are talking about something else.

You need to look at these things for yourself. When you do you might wonder some about this thread. They were for me a real experience. I am still steady enough with conventional glass but the 10x42 L IS has my attention and I am considering a pair.

Yes pretty much the whole Canon line is first rate and even the Canon 10x30 IS is very NEAR alpha quality and it beats almost everything in edge sharpness especially the FL. The Canon 10x42 L IS is without a doubt the best view I have seen from anything especially with the IS engaged. But it is definitely not for every birder because of the size and weight.

These do sound tempting, but I have not seen these in any of the large sporting goods
stores I go to. They cater mainly to outdoors sports such as hunting etc.
Do some of the larger camera stores, carrry the Canon, as they have the top cameras
there? I have been to a Ritz Camera, but they don't carry many binoculars.

I shouldn't be so hard on the satisfied users here, and wish you well with these.
I am a little old fashioned, and just try to keep some things simple. My optics have
to be a reasonable weight for carry, and low light use, and so brightness is another
important factor.
Also, warranty is important to me, and why I have settled in with good experiences with
Nikon and Swarovski.

Jerry

Last edited:
These do sound tempting, but I have not seen these in any of the large sporting goods
stores I go to. They cater mainly to outdoors sports such as hunting etc.
Do some of the larger camera stores, carrry the Canon, as they have the top cameras
there? I have been to a Ritz Camera, but they don't carry many binoculars.

I shouldn't be so hard on the satisfied users here, and wish you well with these.
I am a little old fashioned, and just try to keep some things simple. My optics have
to be a reasonable weight for carry, and low light use, and so brightness is another
important factor.

Jerry

If weight is a big priority forget these but really they are not that much heavier than a full size 8x42. I mean really what difference does 6oz. make? I would not recommend them for a petite woman for instance. They are like carrying a 10x50 which alot of birders do. Once you get use to the shake free view you won't go back. You pretty much have to get them online. Buy them at Amazon and if you don't like them send them back. It's very easy. Be prepared though they are going to be bigger than a Zeiss 8x32 FL!

I am a little old fashioned, and just try to keep some things simple. My optics have to be a reasonable weight for carry, and low light use, and so brightness is another important factor.
Also, warranty is important to me, and why I have settled in with good experiences with Nikon and Swarovski.

Jerry

I don't see this as you being hard on anybody but yourself ;).

Now, having admitted I am considering the 10x42 L IS, I am looking at some things differently than I would be with a conventional glass. With batteries and the physical and electronic components of the IS at play, yeah, I do see where durability can be an issue. I'm not sure it's worth a $1,500 for something that will be obsolescent in three years when the L II series comes out and a three year's warranty does seem short.

So, if I get these, I will use something on the lines of a Badlands Bino bag to keep them out of the elements as much as I can, and due to size I am less likely to pack them very far, but I see great potential for a truck glass here and use when a binocular is the biggest thing in the gear bag.

The IS bins may be great quality, optics-wise, but [in my brief usage] they simply didn't work well for birding.

Heavy, large, clunky, slow to steady, slow to focus,[and hard to do both with flying birds], as well as some weird artifacts / effects from the IS... swimming, wavering, stuttering. I found myself loosing birds all the time and found it cumbersome to try to go from close focus for bugs to farther out for birds.

For the tiny bit of shake I get from non-IS bins, the trade-off just wasn't worth it.

I think I would need a completely mechanical system, in a smallish package [with superb optics] to ever consider them. There must be some reason that you see so few in the field and I think a lot of it has to do with utility.

I don't see this as you being hard on anybody but yourself ;).

Now, having admitted I am considering the 10x42 L IS, I am looking at some things differently than I would be with a conventional glass. With batteries and the physical and electronic components of the IS at play, yeah, I do see where durability can be an issue. I'm not sure it's worth a $1,500 for something that will be obsolescent in three years when the L II series comes out and a three year's warranty does seem short.

So, if I get these, I will use something on the lines of a Badlands Bino bag to keep them out of the elements as much as I can, and due to size I am less likely to pack them very far, but I see great potential for a truck glass here and use when a binocular is the biggest thing in the gear bag.

Fortunately you can save yourself the Badlands bag. The 10x42ISL is really fully waterproof.
I clean mine under the tap.
Also the outer glass at the objective end is just an optical flat, not an expensive lens, so you don't need to add a neutral density filter to protect the lenses.
The binocs are heavy and bulky, so a good carrier harness such as the BinoManager here:
http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/M...r&hiword=MANAGE MANAGED MANAGERS bino manager
will be a useful purchase.

Otherwise, these have been easy to use and robust, at least in my experience, as well as durable.
Mine are 4 years old and have never needed service.

Also the outer glass at the objective end is just an optical flat, not an expensive lens, so you don't need to add a neutral density filter to protect the lenses.

Though that is true I'd still consider it. And a bag for toting the bin around (that never goes into the field) is a good thing.

Canon have been shown on this forum to not have the best customer support and estimated repair costs can be quite big. And as NDHunter points out the warranty is short compared to other sport optics (but not the cameras).

But IS makes a big difference. It may be a while but I suspect my next bin might be the 10x42 IS L (or a 10x30 IS L should they every make it). But for now I have the Swarovision ;)

Jerry
Take it from me. Give the Canon 10x42 L IS's a try sometime. Even without the IS engaged their optics are I assure you equal to any alpha out there. With the IS on they produce the best image and the most detail I have ever seen from any binocular. Their edge sharpness is the BEST I have ever seen. I am going down to one binocular and I want the best view I can get and I am willing to hold 36 oz. to get it. I sold my Zeiss 8x32 FL's, Nikon 8x30 EII's, and my Canon 10x30 IS's. The Canon 10x42 L IS's are big but man what a view. I compared them and their was no question which binocular for me produced the best view and the winner is the Canon 10x42 L IS. Try em.

Dennis:

I am pleased you are happy with your latest binocular purchase. I have
heard you laud the Zeiss FL, and how the Nikon 8x30 EII is the best optic
available. I am a bit disappointed you have sold those quality optics.
What if the Canon takes a poop, do you have a good backup, I hope so.;)

Jerry

Dennis:

Jerry

The great thing about Dennis is his flexibility, definitely not a slave to any brand.o:D

The great thing about Dennis is his flexibility, definitely not a slave to any brand.o:D

All I really care about is the view through the binoculars. I could care less what brand they are. I really like the Canon IS's lately because I like the steady view. They make me realize how much I am shaking and how much it decreases the detail you can see. I compared the Canon 10x42 L IS's to my other binoculars and it was easily the best view so the other ones go. It's my binocular now until something else comes along which is superior. I don't care if they last ten years because there will be something better in less time than that.

Dennis:

Jerry

I don't think it will take a poop! I have confidence in it. The Zeiss FL or Nikon EII simply didn't perform like the Canon for my eyes. I really see an advantage to the IS system. Maybe I shake more than you but I am never going back to the unstabilized image.

The IS bins may be great quality, optics-wise, but [in my brief usage] they simply didn't work well for birding.

Heavy, large, clunky, slow to steady, slow to focus,[and hard to do both with flying birds], as well as some weird artifacts / effects from the IS... swimming, wavering, stuttering. I found myself loosing birds all the time and found it cumbersome to try to go from close focus for bugs to farther out for birds.

For the tiny bit of shake I get from non-IS bins, the trade-off just wasn't worth it.

I think I would need a completely mechanical system, in a smallish package [with superb optics] to ever consider them. There must be some reason that you see so few in the field and I think a lot of it has to do with utility.

They definitely are not for everyone! They are large and heavy but that is the price you pay for phenominal optics. I don't find the Canon 10x42 L IS's slow to focus and quite the contrary I find them faster than a regular binocular to steady. I really don't see any weird artifacts. Maybe you can hold your binoculars steadier than I can but with regular binoculars I have more than a "tiny bit of shake". The difference between the IS view and a non-stabilized view is enormous for me and I think for most people it will be.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back