• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (3 Viewers)

This is the big one in Russia I think, some of the guys on the UKAR forum have been and enjoyed it (some of them may have tips on where to stand, watch UKAR over winter and spring to see what they say):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAKS_(air_show)

Biennial on odd years, so it should run in 2019.

And I don't remember any flak, we were just worried about you in that bastion of open democracy where you live.... ;)

Cheers

John

Thanks John,
IIRC, I was roundly criticised by the usual mob for posting 'Warships'.

Last edited:
Andy,
There's interesting footage on YouTube if you type in Russian Airshow. It also suggests that the big event that FJ refers to was on this year so may now be annual. Alternatively, you could book for RIAT down in Fairford, though you won't see any Russian airframes. I've had honey buzzard go over which was as good as seeing the F22 Raptor do it's full display on a practice day.......Birds and Planes.
P

Last edited:
Andy,
There's interesting footage on YouTube if you type in Russian Airshow. It also suggests that the big event that FJ refers to was on this year so may now be annual. Alternatively, you could book for RIAT down in Fairford, though you won't see any Russian airframes. I've had honey buzzard go over which was as good as seeing the F22 Raptor do it's full display on a practice day.......Birds and Planes.
P

Thanks Pat,
last time I went to an airshow was at RAF Finningly in c1975.

Due to our opccasional sightings in Russia and my wife being an enthusiastic photographer, she's quite keen on the idea as well.

Over Cromer pier last weekend, unsure of his intentions....trying to drum up business with a death defying loop the loop several times, or just plane showing off! whichever I wasn't buying, especially with YAK in the registration. :eek!:

Attachments

• P1800729.jpeg   Plane over the pier 2..jpeg
    P1800729.jpeg Plane over the pier 2..jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 94
Hi Ken,

whichever I wasn't buying, especially with YAK in the registration. :eek!:

An indestructible Yakovlev Yak-52 ... :)

British aerobatics champion Neil Willams described the very similar (but older) Yak-18 as follows:

"A beautiful and graceful aeroplane to watch in flight is the Yak 18PS. Quiet and powerful, it purrs through the sequences, seemingly without effort, and it is not until one flies the Yak and notes its very high directional stability which in conjunction with the standard wing, makes the positive flick roll a little awkward, that one can appreciate the very high skill and training of the Yak pilots."

Regards,

Henning

Hi Ken,

An indestructible Yakovlev Yak-52 ... :)

British aerobatics champion Neil Willams described the very similar (but older) Yak-18 as follows:

"A beautiful and graceful aeroplane to watch in flight is the Yak 18PS. Quiet and powerful, it purrs through the sequences, seemingly without effort, and it is not until one flies the Yak and notes its very high directional stability which in conjunction with the standard wing, makes the positive flick roll a little awkward, that one can appreciate the very high skill and training of the Yak pilots."

Regards,

Henning

Cheers Henning....certainly an attractive ''little number''. :t:

While twitching a Common Crane at Coldstream in the Scottish borders (England on opposite side of the river) today we had an Apache helicopter come in and hover over the same field the Crane (and a load of Mute Swans) were in, and very close to us, giving us amazingly good views for quite an extended period of time. Eventually had 5 Apaches around as well as a Wildcat Lynx. The Crane was unphased by the Apache, as were the Swans - though once a dog spooked everything they didn't come back in until the helicopters had left.

Best pics on my Flickr page - www/flickr.com/stonefaction

a more varied selection on Twitter as well as a few phone videos.
www.twitter.com/stonefaction

Last edited:
On Thursday I went to the path I used to go plane watching with my Grandpa as it was the first anniversary of his passing. I took a special photo of his hat which I wear now on the wall with a plane flying over the path.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2226.JPG
    IMG_2226.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 84
Euan, you stirred some memories for me that hadn't come to mind for decades. There used to be a Naval Air training station just outside of Olathe, Kansas, USA where we lived at the time. Yes, as strange as it sounds a 1,000km from the nearest ocean was a Naval Airbase. My Grandfather used to take me out to sit just outside the fence at the end of the runway to watch the student pilots take off and land. Fun to watch as they were training to take off and especially land in as short of a space as possible. 1950's so still a mix of props and "modern" jets.

High activity again today, thought this was going to come to my feeder at one point.....

Attachments

• DSC_5081.jpg
    DSC_5081.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 21
Anyone else like birds and planes - somebody does!!

This Cessna 182 seaplane is normally parked up at Blackbushe for long periods, but recently I noticed it has had a significant repaint!

Maybe a bit ambitious for a spamcan.....

John

Attachments

• 20190108 (11)_G-ESSL_Cessna_182R_Skylane_Seaplane.JPG
    20190108 (11)_G-ESSL_Cessna_182R_Skylane_Seaplane.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190108 (10)_G-ESSL_Cessna_182R_Skylane_Seaplane.JPG
    20190108 (10)_G-ESSL_Cessna_182R_Skylane_Seaplane.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 25
Seeing Andy's post -- I should have posted this last year for those with any interest - water bombing helicopters using ~ 600-900kg water capacity buckets. When these things get filled to the brim it's a fair old load on the 'copter ..... not a great deal in reserve I imagine. The way some of these pilots circle round, drop the bucket on the move, take up the slack in the line to fill it, throttle up, and fly off in one continuous move is pretty tickety-boo ! :cool:

Screenshot_2019-01-13-22-47-44-1.jpg Screenshot_2019-01-13-22-47-34-1.jpg Screenshot_2019-01-13-22-47-13-1.jpg Screenshot_2019-01-13-22-45-19-1.jpg

Of course when the bushfires are a bit more serious they call on an Erickson Sky Crane ..... the one called "Elvis" being the most famous. I remember standing on the roof one year, garden hose in hand ready to save the house from the approaching conflagration .... as the the front reached the bush across the road there was an almighty eruption of red hot flame and really dark smoke a couple of times the height of the trees (the type you get when some turpentine trees vaporize and the oils just explode ! :eek!: I remember thinking that being up on the roof was possibly the worst idea I'd ever had in my life, when I felt leaked water dripping all over my shoulder as Elvis flew overhead and dropped several tones of water on the bush across the road - enough to turn the smoke white and for me to high tail it off the roof! :) Phew ! o:)

1001578-3x2-700x467.jpg

The best bet now is just to pack up and head off to stay with friends on the harbour and watch it on the news ! :news: ..... if you come back to a house well and good, if not, well ..... at least you come back ! :gn:

Chosun :gh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back