• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash setup (1 Viewer)

Nikon_Boy

So how many of you are using a flash when digiscoping?

Is it more beneficial to use one than not? Wont using one scare away your subject?

How much more distance can one get by using a flash extender?

What flashed can help you reach up to 75+ yards?

What flash set-up are you all using?

Thanks ;)

Using tele-flash/fresnel screen for digiscoping is very rare, I do have a section on it on my website but it's usefulness in the field is debatable and can be complicated compared to SLR use...it's mainly trial and error, often involving having the flash on full power (with fresnel screen) and judging the results of the exposure when reviewing the image after taking the shot.

A powerful narrow beam of flash can make a substantial amount of difference at up to 35 yards, beyond this it is just adding a small amount of extra light...though often welcome for digiscoping.
Flash can add a catchlight to the bird's eye at very considerable distances..though some would say you can add one in Photoshop anyway.

High speed flash has no effect on the subject, I've never noticed a subject even recognising the flash...let alone being scared. Watch out when using on nocturnal birds... their eye's may not be up to a bright flash. I 'd avoid using using flash on subjects close to the camera, just in case.
A major problem is the effect it has on other birders and members of the public....very annoying, so be very careful where you use it.

Flash with digiscoping is very awkward and I'd suggest that most people forget about it unless you are after birds that reside in dense woodland.

Personally, I use the Nikon SB24 + fresnel screen and an alloy bracket to take the flash further off-axis from the scope.... this reduces eyeshine problems (to a degree). As the flash is concentrated into a narrow beam, alignment with the subject can be critical.

You may be better off with remote slave flash, if you know (or have baited) where the bird is likely to turn up.
Regards,
Andy

I've been trying some night pics with my Coolpix 995, not thru the scope. So far, although the flash goes off, I have only managed some totally black pictures. I have tried lots of camera settings but to no avail. I must get the manual out and suss out what I am doing wrong.

Colin

Colin
If your using the pop up camera flash out side at night dont bother its only designed for short range inside or fillin flash if your using an external flashgun outside at night it would need to be fairly powerfull . even a flash with a guide number of 45-60 wouldnt go much over 30 feet this explain your black pictures

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back