• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Wales and the east coast of england (1 Viewer)

Christian Falk

Hello,

from 27 may till 10 june i stay in rhayader (wales) and at the east coast near ipswich. I heard that minsmere and north warren are good for bird watching. Do anyone have another hint for my trip?

Hi Chris. The Élan Valley out of Rhayader is supposed to be very good and if you carry on you come to Cors Caron bog (just outside of Tregaron) which is a cracking spot. Rhayader itself has the kite feeding station at Gigrin Farm which is well worth a visit.

Can't help with the dry side of the bridge - sorry.

Hope you have a great trip.

Rich

Thank you very much Rich. The Kite feeding station was the reason for my trip to wales, because i like redkites very much. But i heard that it is possilble to see the chough in wales. I saw them in the extremadura, but there was only one at the castle near monfrague.

Hi Chris. Chough are on the coast but I'm not not sure where the nearest place is. I had a quick look around South Gower last week and failed. Hopefully some other Welsh birders can give you a reliable site.

I did see them at South Stack on Anglesey a couple of years ago but that's a hefty drive from Rhayader.

Rich

I saw Chough at Marloes... again a hefty drive but we stayed overnight in order to visit Skomer.

Chris, have a look in Opus, you'll get quite a bit of information on places to visit.

Chris I can recommend the south west coast of Wales, about a two hour drive I suppose but well worth it. You'll get Chough there along with a good variety of sea birds.
As for the East coast of England, Minsmere for sure won't disappoint. You might also like to visit the north Norfolk coast (I'd think a couple of hours again in the car to get there but well worth the trip) Take in Cley Marshes and Titchwell....You'll be pleased you made the trip I'm sure.

Chris,

If you have time, while in Ipswich, you may consider a sortie south into Essex. The best reserve there is probably Old Hall Marshes. It has a wild feel and you may be the only visitor on its 12/13 km trails. Although primarily a winter attraction, breeding colonies of Avocets, Reedlings, Common and Little Terns, L-r Plovers and Marsh Harriers make it interesting in summer too. It is about 10 miles S-E of Colchester. Stop off at Abberton Reservoir too en route. Private transport would be needed as accessability is not easy.

Dave

There's a decent restaurant called Y Talbot in Tregaron if you head that way Chris.

If you could make Skomer then I would recommend it. Puffins galore. But again, a heck of a drive. I'd guess 3 1/2 hours from Rhayader.

Rich

Hello Delia, Brian, Dave and Rich,

thank you for your very nice tips. Since yesterday i try to tell my wife that Pembrokeshire has got better shop than you can see in London. ;-) Thats because we like to visit London after Rhayader. ;-) Puffins are still missing in my gallery.

chris, you can see chough on the coastal walk from new quay,heading towards birdrock, about an hours drive from rhayader, you can also take a boat trip from new quay which gives good views of sea bird colony, plenty of guillemot,razorbill,kittiwake etc, but no puffins.

Chris

There are loads of great sites along the Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex coast - sure you'll have a good time here. The heaths near Minsmere (eg Westleton & Dunwich) should be good around the time you're visiting for Dartford Warbler, Woodlark and Nightjar (latter at dusk). You could also take in a walk around the huge reedbed and surrounding woodland at Walberswick.

Do you have any particular birds that you want to see on the trip? If you do, post them up here and we should be able to help out with the best places. Nearer the time, if you want to send me a PM, I'd be happy to pass on any recent news or suggestions.

cheers,

Last edited:
Hi Chris, as Rich said, the Elan Valley just outside Rhayader is excellent that time of year, oak woodlands, reservoirs and open moorland - lots to see. For Choughs, head towards Aberaeron, a lovely town on the Cardiganshire (Ceredigion) coast. This acts like a central point, and if you walk North or South from here along the coast path, Choughs can be seen. A little further north along the A487 (the main road heading North), between the towns of Aberystwyth and Machynlleth, there is the RSPB Ynys-Hir reserve, which is good for oak woodlands birds and also the saltmarsh/estuary can be good. Just next door is the Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust's 'Cors Dyfi' reserve, where a pair of Ospreys breed. Ospreys are Wales' rarest breeding bird, and the project allows superb views of the birds - I'm a volunteer there so may end up seeing you there one day!

All the best, Justin

Thank you all very much.
@ David: I'm interested in all kind of corvids, especially ravens but also raptors especially the red kite.
@ Justin/andm: Thank you for the tip with Aberaeron/New Quay and the osprey, i hope i will see him.

All the Best, Chris

Last edited:
No problem Chris, I hope you enjoy your visit, Wales has so much to offer to the birder! If you like seeing Red Kites, there is another Red Kite feeding station just outside Aberystwyth on the A44 -this is about 30 minutes away from Rhayader. Personally, I think this is even better than Gigrin Farm, the Red Kite feeding station at Rhayader.

All the best, Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back