• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

N E Poland (1 Viewer)

cranleighcrake

I am hoping to make a trip to NE Poland in the second half of May. I have read the Crossbill book but wondered if anyone has any recent / current specific sites for the following species -

Great snipe
Grey headed, white backed and three toed woodpeckers
Pygmy and tengmalms owls

Are the Wild Poland guides ( pdf versions) updated each year?

Should I go into the Bialowieza "strict reserve" - can anyone suggest a good guide to book?
Or would I be better employing a local guide for ALL of these tricky birds in both Biebrza and Bialowieza? If so, can anyone please recommend a name or two who might cover both areas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Last edited:
I'm going 7-11 May so need similar info regards the peckers and also Nutcracker and Hazel Grouse. I have purchased the excellent guide book but realise that nests vary each year.

I will report back to you .

The difficulty with 'pecker' info is that altho I will feed back when I return on the 11th, the most wanted 2 will have fledged young and well may have left nest sites.

Currently on my last night. White-backed Woody seen well with guide, and also without by Nareka Bridge, by Wyki Bagno. But you will need a guide to find three toed. Highly recommend Tomascz at Wildpoland.com. Had great vviews of these two species. Only glimpsed grey headed inflight tho. Most will have connected with Grey headed but right now they are very very quiet.

Also jammed in on a White backed by the main pools, also lesser spotted in the park where there are also a few middle spotted around the NW corner. Black Woody at zebra zubra and bison reserve . Woodies only call and drum 5-8am and to a lesser degree 6-7pm.

Failed to find nutcracker or hazel grouse despite lots of searching at KosyMost.
By the main bridge by palace park very noisy thrush nightingale also savis and gropper there. Not seen or heard and rose finch or river warblers, due here any time.
Good luck

Last edited:
Returned on 11th, I did have a couple of calling Nutcrackers very briefly in flight from Narewka Bridge (By Wysokie Bagno) late on the evening of the 10th.

If anyone does a tour with Wild-Poland guides they have since found active WB, TT, GH, LS and MS Woody nest holes, of course that situation changes once the young have fledged.

Hazel Grouse seem thin on the ground but a matter of pure luck.

Incredible 8 days in Poland from 16-24th
9 species of Woodpecker (We missed Green!!!) and 171 species of bird in total including 5 Red-Footed Falcon, Terek Sandpiper and 3 Broad-Billed Sandpiper.
No Great Snipe, Nutcracker or Greater Spotted Eagle so plenty of reasons to revisit.
Truly superb country. Video trip report coming soon.

Incredible 8 days in Poland from 16-24th
9 species of Woodpecker (We missed Green!!!) and 171 species of bird in total including 5 Red-Footed Falcon, Terek Sandpiper and 3 Broad-Billed Sandpiper.
No Great Snipe, Nutcracker or Greater Spotted Eagle so plenty of reasons to revisit.
Truly superb country. Video trip report coming soon.

Sounds great, look forward to viewing your report:t:

Video by Kieran of our recent trip to Poland with a nice mix of species can be found here. Trip report will most likely appear on cloudbirders at some point.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back