• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (48 Viewers)

Hi all,

I'm thinking of paying a visit to Norfolk in order to try for the Radde's Warbler at Holkham and I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on how easy it might be actually to see it. RBA reports are only being sent out a few times a day and are saying that it's generally rather elusive. I was just wondering if it is generally about but hard to see or is there generally no sign of it and it's just showing a few times a day?

Also, is the location fairly straight-forward to find? i.e. if I walk about 250 yards west of the cross roads will it be obvious when I've got to the spot?

TIA

Adam

OK, I went down today to try for it today so I'm going to answer my own question in case anyone else might be interested. The location "250 yards" west of the crossroads" is fairly easy to find and consists of a stretch of about 30 or 40 yards of reeds by the side of the path. Viewing is very tricky here as the reeds are rather tall. We had no luck when we were down there from about 7:30 until 11 a.m. but I later spoke to someone who saw it the previous day and he said that the main area to watch is at the east end (the end that you come to first from the crossroads). There is an indent here right next to some Sallows and the reeds are thinner. He did say that it he saw it for all of 3 seconds out of 6 hours of waiting which gives a good idea of how hard it is to see.

Just to add further confusion, today on RBA it was instead reported 100 yards east of the crossroads in reeds - whether this is just someone mis-reporting the location or the bird has actually moved I don't know.

Plenty of Yellow-browed Warblers about and I heard one which sounded a bit more like a Pallas' but who knows. Got nice views of the Great Grey Shrike in the Burham Overy dunes and a brief view of the Olive-backed Pipit at Wells by way of compensation for the lack of Radde's.

Hope this is of some use to someone.

Adam

Titchwell October 12th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 2 around the Meadow Trail today
Jack snipe - 2 showing well but distant on the grazing meadow pool
Red kite - 1 west
Curlew sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - adult on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Thanks for the report. Years ago when my coastal birding was restricted to where I could go by public transport I remember standing at Holkham, probably close to this spot, waiting for a Radde's Warbler for about 4hours. It occasionally called to give us hope, but didn't show.

OK, I went down today to try for it today so I'm going to answer my own question in case anyone else might be interested. The location "250 yards" west of the crossroads" is fairly easy to find and consists of a stretch of about 30 or 40 yards of reeds by the side of the path. Viewing is very tricky here as the reeds are rather tall. We had no luck when we were down there from about 7:30 until 11 a.m. but I later spoke to someone who saw it the previous day and he said that the main area to watch is at the east end (the end that you come to first from the crossroads). There is an indent here right next to some Sallows and the reeds are thinner. He did say that it he saw it for all of 3 seconds out of 6 hours of waiting which gives a good idea of how hard it is to see.

Just to add further confusion, today on RBA it was instead reported 100 yards east of the crossroads in reeds - whether this is just someone mis-reporting the location or the bird has actually moved I don't know.

Plenty of Yellow-browed Warblers about and I heard one which sounded a bit more like a Pallas' but who knows. Got nice views of the Great Grey Shrike in the Burham Overy dunes and a brief view of the Olive-backed Pipit at Wells by way of compensation for the lack of Radde's.

Hope this is of some use to someone.

Adam

Titchwell October 13th

Today's highlights

Glaucous gull - adult reported on fresh marsh @ 07:45 then flew west
Yellow browed warbler - 2 still on reserve
Lapland bunting - 2 at Thornham Point but mobile
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Conservation bodies like the RSPB, NT and the Norfolk WT need money in order to fulfill their key purpose.
I first visited Cley Marshes in 1974 when Billy Bishop reigned supreme. Most visitors were "proper" birdwatchers but lets be honest the facilities were minimal. To get to the East bank from the information hut required walking on the main road, imagine doing that today with the vastly increased traffic.
Today a significant number of visitors (not all birdwatchers) contribute to NWT coffers by purchasing refreshments and fluffy toys etc. Who are we to criticise, if it makes financial sense? All the main conservation bodies are having to exploit the commercial side of their sites and frankly this does not normally interfere with the prime purpose.
The perception of regular birdwatcher visitors is influenced by the quality of the birdwatching not the range of products in the well stocked shop. Confession last year I purchased a wooden model of an Oystercatcher which now resides on the windowsill of my recently decorated study.
To quote the recent Nobel Prize winner for literature "Times they are a changing".

Popped out to see the Radde's Warbler at Warham yesterday afternoon.
Parking was semi-sensible and the bird well observed by those present.
Great to finally see a Radde's so well.
Topped off a fine couple of days birding.

Attachments

• DSCF8138.jpg
    DSCF8138.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 148
Conservation bodies like the RSPB, NT and the Norfolk WT need money in order to fulfill their key purpose.
I first visited Cley Marshes in 1974 when Billy Bishop reigned supreme. Most visitors were "proper" birdwatchers but lets be honest the facilities were minimal. To get to the East bank from the information hut required walking on the main road, imagine doing that today with the vastly increased traffic.
Today a significant number of visitors (not all birdwatchers) contribute to NWT coffers by purchasing refreshments and fluffy toys etc. Who are we to criticise, if it makes financial sense? All the main conservation bodies are having to exploit the commercial side of their sites and frankly this does not normally interfere with the prime purpose.
The perception of regular birdwatcher visitors is influenced by the quality of the birdwatching not the range of products in the well stocked shop. Confession last year I purchased a wooden model of an Oystercatcher which now resides on the windowsill of my recently decorated study.
To quote the recent Nobel Prize winner for literature "Times they are a changing".
Excellent analysis. I know many birders wouldn't be fussed if there weren't even toilets as long as the birding was good and I do understand that perspective. However nothing stays the same and if it's a case of requiring some gentrification to protect the habitat from my point of view it's a price worth paying

Titchwell October 17th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - at least one still present
Spotted redshank - 10 on fresh marsh
Jack snipe - 2 on fresh marsh by Island Hide
Spoonbill - 4 on fresh marsh
Ring ouzel - 1 on East Trail from gate, 1 near visitor centre briefly
Great Northern diver - 1 reported offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Swallow - 2 west
House martin - 3 west

Advance warning - we will be cutting encroaching vegetation from the edges of the fresh marsh this Wednesday morning. This work will cause disturbance to the lagoon but we will aim to stop by 10am

Paul

Titchwell October 19th

Today's highlights

Great white egret - 1 on Thornham saltmarsh over high tide this morning
Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh this morning
Long tailed duck - drake on fresh marsh this afternoon then flew east
Velvet scoter - 2 drakes offshore
Red necked grebe - 2 offshore
Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 79 on fresh marsh
White fronted goose - 1 in maize field by access road
Short eared owl - 1 roosting on saltmarsh this morning

Paul

Titchwell October 20th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 still on Meadow Trail but elusive
Velvet scoter - 2 drakes offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore
Yellow legged gull - 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh
Jack snipe - 1 on grazing meadow pool
Red kite - 1 over East Trail

Paul

Titchwell October 21st

Today's highlights

Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Whooper swan - 2 south over reserve mid morning, 2 west early afternoon
Spotted redshank - 1 on tidal pool
Jack snipe - 1 on grazing meadow pool

Paul

Hi

Has anyone got any further info on the RF Bluetail seen today at East Hills at Wells today. I have no idea where East Hills is - any info gratefully received. Hopefully will still be there tomorrow.

Many thanks

John

East Hills is an area north of Wells with a hazardous walk across the saltmarsh and tidal creaks to get there. Given that, unless you know someone who has gone out there before (which from your post I assume you don't) then it wouldn't be safe to attempt to visit I'm afraid.

Hi

Has anyone got any further info on the RF Bluetail seen today at East Hills at Wells today. I have no idea where East Hills is - any info gratefully received. Hopefully will still be there tomorrow.

Many thanks

John

Titchwell October 22nd

Today's highlights

Shorelark - 1 on beach early morning but mobile and no sign after 11am
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow browed warbler - 1 on Meadow Trail
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on tidal pool
Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh near Island Hide
Yellow legged gull - 2 adults on fresh marsh late afternoon
Velvet scoter - drake offshore
Swallow - 1 over East Trail

Paul

If anyone is thinking of coming to Overy to see the Isabelline Wheatear could they please park sensibly. There was ill feeling today due to the narrow road being almost blocked in places and as a consequence people started to park on the farmer's fields without permission. I must sound like a stuck record in these instances but it is doing the birding community no good what so ever. If there is no parking alongside the A149 remember there is a free car park in Overy Staithe.
Cheers Andy, Warden at Holkham

Best to park on the quay at Burnham Overy Staithe. It is easier walking along the seawall too (with bird-filled bushes alongside), so no real benefit in verge parking on the busy A149. Better still, park at Lady Anne's Drive and enjoy birding the dunes plus pines to the max; great day out! With more NE winds tomorrow, north Norfolk has to be holding far more Megas. There's a Siberian Accentor here somewhere

East Hills is an area north of Wells with a hazardous walk across the saltmarsh and tidal creaks to get there. Given that, unless you know someone who has gone out there before (which from your post I assume you don't) then it wouldn't be safe to attempt to visit I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info James. Once I heard news of the Issy Wheatear that sorted where I was heading this morning!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back