• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orlando this Weekend 1/15/11 (1 Viewer)

CJF

United States
I'm Going to be in Orlando this weekend with a little time to bird. Other than Orlando Wetlands Park any other ideas?

Thanks CJF

I will have car. Hour or so drive is okay. Is Merritt Island open? Species are secondary to just getting out and birding? I'm coming from NY where another 10 inches of snow is expected so I'm just exited to walk a bit vs amusement park.

CJF

Merritt should be open - no shuttle launches pending immediately. Might try Lake Toho, and Gatorland rookery. I haven't personally tried the Disney wilderness reserve area they've recently opened, but it might be worth a look (It's about 20 minutes south of Disney property, from what I've heard).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be looking at the maps and Florida Birding trail next couple of days for options. Your ideas look good and are appreciated.

CJF

merryslug,

It is called Joe Overstreet Rd. They are usually at the very end of the road mixed in with the Sandhill Cranes.

Carlos

I won't bore everyone with my bird list but Merritt Island was outstanding ESP given my time constraints. Spent 2 1/2 hours and saw 23 species. Highly rec to see wading birds and easy access.

Second day I spent some time at Lower Wekiva River State Park and Rock Springs Run State Reserve. Both are about half hour outside of Orlando and have nice trails with some varied vegetation and decent birds.

All three places were preferable to the 15 degree weather back home.

CJF

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back