• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover ID - Northern California, USA (1 Viewer)

hga

This picture was taken on September 27, 2011 at Baylands, Palo Alto, California. Having seen my first black-bellied plover last week at a different location, I can't tell whether this is another one, or one of the golden plovers.

Attachments

• IMG_2688pcw.jpg
    IMG_2688pcw.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 134
Black-bellied and Grey Plover are the same bird. Furthermore, I believe the species is monotypic (no recognized subspecies) so no splits for the time being.

Carlos

Phil, you prefer Black-bellied Plover? Isn't that heretical on your side of the pond?

I guess it is a matter of preference -- do you name the bird after its breeding plumage or after the nonbreeding plumage? I think the breeding plumaged birds are more memorable.

Carlos

Phil, you prefer Black-bellied Plover? Isn't that heretical on your side of the pond?

I guess it is a matter of preference -- do you name the bird after its breeding plumage or after the nonbreeding plumage? I think the breeding plumaged birds are more memorable.

Carlos

Exactly!:t: We often only get them when they have black wing-pits..

Gray= "The Blues..." :-C

My, my, different names for the same bird on the 2 sides of the Atlantic & spelling differences too! How shocking!

American grey/black-bellied plover look a lot more 'golden' in my limited experience! At least in non-breeding plumage. Not sure what the taxonomic situation is though! Maybe one to watch in the future?

American grey/black-bellied plover look a lot more 'golden' in my limited experience! At least in non-breeding plumage. Not sure what the taxonomic situation is though! Maybe one to watch in the future?

Maybe so, but see post #6, this thread.

Check again: Black-bellied and Grey Plover are the same bird. Furthermore, I believe the species is monotypic (no recognized subspecies) so no splits for the time being.

Have to keep all these splitters away with a bat, they're so thick in here. ;)

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back