• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roundhay Park Bird News (1 Viewer)

usual suspects there this morning plus pair of jays carrying nesting material across Park Avenue near Oakhampton Court. Also jays - maybe same pair - on lhs Wetherby Road coming back towards Oakwood.

Long time since adding anything here but I had a fly over greenshank around lunchtime today as I was walking around Waterloo Lake, bird had a look see but didn't stop - called a couple of times and then kept on going South

Keith - not been posting for a while. Blimey Greenshank is a gripper - my best ever bird has been Little Gull (2). Not much doing for me there over the summer - I have been away for work a lot. I did have Common Tern on 2 separate dates - do you happen to know where the closest breeders are ? Best for now. Also is anyone interested in the records from here or will they automatically be picked uo from here by the Yorks bird recorder (not that there's arguably much to pick up) !

I whack all my stuff into Birdtrack so the County Recorder gets the info. The Leeds Bird Club used to be interested in records from within the Leeds Boundary but that folded a few years ago.
Common Tern breed at both Rodley Nature Reserve and Swillington Ings

Male lesser spotted woodpecker at the Roundhay Lido car park this morning. Seen while we were having a post-class cuppa.

Sorry - didn't post this - I was in Ram Wood and had male bird drumming on Thursday 12th. This is actually the earliest I've had any drumming at any location.
At least two great spotted woodpeckers drumming at top of upper lake this morning.

Sunday last - had 2 willow tits in the gorge area, part of a feeding flock of tits and finches. Worth grilling any flocks moving through the area

A comparatively confiding woodpecker on a low tree between Park Ave and the main lake, couple of hundred yards before the Lakeside cafe, on Friday - thought at first it might be a lesser spotted, but probably a juvenile GSW

There has been lesser pecker seen near the old lido area of the park. There is a heck of a size difference between Gt and Ls peckers. Lessers are not much bigger than spuggies whilst even a juvenile Greater will be the size of a song thrush or bigger

will try again tomorrow with camera, weather permitting. Had the impression it was bigger than sparrow size, smaller than song thrush. Size is hard to judge, though, with single bird. Red cap, couldn't see if there were white patches on body.

Walk around the Park this morning/lunchtime -
Gadwall pair on Upper Lake along with single male on Waterloo
In the region of 60 tufted ducks spread across both lakes
Mallards numbers low less than 30 birds
1 male and 2 female goosander on Waterloo
2 mute swans courting with rest by boathouse.
Couldn't locate any grebes at all, neither great crested nor little.
Still good numbers of coot about but moorhens were scarce, only found 3.
A handful of common gulls on Waterloo and probably 150 black-headed gulls on both lakes
Very little in the way of passerines - calling nuthatch in 3 locations and mixed feeding party of tits and finches close to Lakeside Cafe was all, nothing unexpected in the flock.

Last edited:
very noisy and quite showy nuthatch in the driveway trees at Parc Mont in Park avenue today... re the woodpecker I saw the other day, pretty sure it was the lesser spotted. Doubt there'll be many juvenile greats about at this time, for one thing. Haven't seen it since, of course.

Sunday last 19th March - a stroll around Waterloo Lake and Upper Lake mid day
Drumming great spot in 2 locations - Northern end of Waterloo lake up in the woods to the East and Ram Wood by Upper Lake. Sure on the id as the drumming was short duration and finished quite abruptly. Lessers go on for longer and sort of fade out.
2 male goosander on Waterloo Lake
No grebes at all, neither little nor gt crested.
Still a decent head of tufted duck - approx 40 birds
First chiffchaff of the year close to the Boathouse.

Couple of treecreepers showing well in the last few days round the back of the upper lake, on the path to the castle folly.

5 swallows yesterday over Waterloo Lake, and drumming greater spotted woodpecker seen drumming in garden south of Tropical World. Had a ringed singing chiffchaff a couple of weeks back.

another possible sighting of lesser spotted woodie in Roundhay Park today, in tree next to bus stop between entrance gate and Lido car park. Looked good size-wise but couldn't get close enough look, or a pic. Looked as if it flew into garden over road.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back