• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatching, Cornwall. (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Looking ot the weather forecast for tomorrow (Thurs 25th August) a spell of seawatching off Cornwall is mighty tempting. At the moment I'm thinking Pendeen first light; with the strong westerlies looking likely to contain a slight northerly component I've been told this is the ideal site (with Porthgwarra better when there's an element of south in the westerlies). Anyone with more experience and/or site knowledge out there who can comment on this?

Cheers

James

JWN Andrewes said:
Looking ot the weather forecast for tomorrow (Thurs 25th August) a spell of seawatching off Cornwall is mighty tempting. At the moment I'm thinking Pendeen first light; with the strong westerlies looking likely to contain a slight northerly component I've been told this is the ideal site (with Porthgwarra better when there's an element of south in the westerlies). Anyone with more experience and/or site knowledge out there who can comment on this?

Cheers

James

Pendeen should be good tomorrow - the local forecasts are all giving the wind as NW

DArrell

Well, the winds weren't as strong as I'd expected, and the car decided Cornwall was the perfect place to demand a new aternator (in the bottleneck queue at Indian Queens to be precise) but I still came away from the day well satisfied. Cory's were passing, though they were distant, as was the breeding plumage Sabine's Gull (don't know if you ever read this Mark, but if you do - thanks again, good spot). There were plenty of Manx good and close though, with a handful of Sootys and Balearics with them. Also a couple each of Storm Petrels and Bonxies and half a dozen or so Arctic Skuas. Not a classic sea watch perhaps, but definitely well worth it.

Thanks again.

James

JWN Andrewes said:
Well, the winds weren't as strong as I'd expected, and the car decided Cornwall was the perfect place to demand a new aternator (in the bottleneck queue at Indian Queens to be precise) but I still came away from the day well satisfied. Cory's were passing, though they were distant, as was the breeding plumage Sabine's Gull (don't know if you ever read this Mark, but if you do - thanks again, good spot). There were plenty of Manx good and close though, with a handful of Sootys and Balearics with them. Also a couple each of Storm Petrels and Bonxies and half a dozen or so Arctic Skuas. Not a classic sea watch perhaps, but definitely well worth it.

Thanks again.

James

Small world James - they were my jump leads!!!!

Darrell

Outstanding!!!! Well, what can I say, many, many thanks for your help and I hope you had a good seawatch! Did you get any of the Greats passing through? I was so relieved just to get home I'm not remotely miffed I missed them!!

Carry on spotting!!

James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back