• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Generation Tract Toric 10X42 Schott HT (1 Viewer)

Hawk Mountain should be good-never been myself, but it's a hotspot! Might be a little early for the colors down in Virginia though. If you were heading North into New England, it would be about the time. Around here in SE PA, it's usually October for the peak, as September is usually pretty warm still.

Though I always wanted to go back to Shenandoah National Park in the Fall-110 miles or so to drive through the park on a 2 lane road, and it is lovely. I was only there around Easter one year with a friend. We slept in my shorty 1971 Chevy van, with our bikes and good thing we were young-it wasn't too comfortable! Riding down the giant hill there (near Great Meadows I think) took at least 20 minutes or more on bike, and about an hour and a half to get back up the hill (a lot of walking!). It was pretty scary too, going downhill that fast! Almost wore the brake pads out! ; ) Ah, to be young and dumb again! ; )) At least we lived through it!

Excellent! (I assume that would be the 10X42 new version.)

Do you still have an old version, especially in the 10X42 on hand for comparison?

Yes I have the old version. I did not specify magnification, so I guess I'll find out when it gets here. :eek!:

Steve ..... I take that to mean you have the original version of the Toric 10X42. Assuming you will be getting the generation 2 for evaluation, then it should be a 10X42 because that is the only model out right now. The 8X42 will not be out till summer or fall of this year. That should make for a good apples to apples comparison. It will be interesting if there is a visual difference and if so, how much.

Steve ..... I take that to mean you have the original version of the Toric 10X42. Assuming you will be getting the generation 2 for evaluation, then it should be a 10X42 because that is the only model out right now. The 8X42 will not be out till summer or fall of this year. That should make for a good apples to apples comparison. It will be interesting if there is a visual difference and if so, how much.

The Toric I have is the 8x. If I get the 10x that is fine with me. I'll call them Monday again. Yes it is the new Generation HT.

Wow, 4 pages of wondering! Between the new Torics here, and the new Opticron Discovery 7x42's, there's not a lot of answers out there. It makes one wonder if there are problems with the new introductions, or they don't want info on them to spoil the surprise until they reveal them at some big show that is up and coming?

Glad I'm not waiting to hear about either to buy!

I was in the market for a new pair of binoculars and after reading reviews and creeping around on this forum, I went ahead and ordered the new Toric 10x42. I have been using them for a few weeks now and love them. I don't have the older version to compare them to....but they seem excellent and are definetily a step up from my Bushnell elites. I have compared them to a friends Viper HD's and they where way better in my opinion.

Glad you got a pair and are enjoying them. I took advantage of the Memorial Day sale and picked up a pair of the old model on closeout with the additional discount. I'm sure the new ones are better but the old ones have gotten so many good reviews i think they'll be much better than what I've been using. Would have liked the locking diopter and upgraded glass for sure but it wasn't in my budget this time. Thanks for the report

What I would really like to know, from those in the know, is if the Zeiss Conquest and the Tract Toric HT were the same price, which would you choose? How do they compare optically?

What I would really like to know, from those in the know, is if the Zeiss Conquest and the Tract Toric HT were the same price, which would you choose? How do they compare optically?

I'd take the Toric. I took them to Namibia a couple of years ago, and another hunter in camp had the Conquests. We compared them for over a week. The Toric was slightly sharper, slightly brighter, and every bit as well built as the Zeiss. Also, the Conquest's eyecups flat out sucked.....too short, terrible profile. Everyone in camp agreed BTWl The new Schott HT's are a slight improvment.

I’ve owned both and prefer the Toric for a few reasons. The obvious one is they are about $300 less to buy than the Conquest. I also prefer the focus speed of the Toric. It is quite fast but not hyper fast like the Conquest. Much easier for me to keep in focus. While they have identical depth of field to my eyes the Toric has a better depth of view.

Depth of Field - The degree to which prisms flatten out or clearly separate elements of the viewed image. The offset design of Porro prisms provides a greater depth of field and a more three-dimensional image that is perceived as more "life-like."

Depth of View - Depth of view relates to how much you can see without needing to re-focus your optics. If you focus for a sharply defined specific image and can readily observe and identify images about eight feet closer than and beyond that point, you would have a reasonable depth of view. A significant depth of view is of benefit, for example, for a bird watcher when conducting an-all day bird count or observing a grouping of water birds. Constant re-focusing would be necessary with a shallow field of view and both tedious and tiring. Among numerous other examples, a farmer/rancher, law enforcement officer, etc, surveilling a scene would need good depth of field to observe activity taking place within a range of distance.

Read more from original site: https://www.opticsreviewer.com/binocular-glossary.html#ixzz5QuPG3HWj

We had a lot of discussion about this and many here believe there cannot be a difference in depth of view (in addition to depth of field) for the same size optics. All I can tell you was to my eyes there was a marked difference and the Toric is deeper. I convinced my self of that by getting objects in perfect focus with Conquest and then looking at objects Both in front and behind. Very little depth of view to my eyes. I don’t have that problem with the Toric. Others here don’t notice or even believe it’s possible but it was very clear to me and that’s a big reason why I own the Torics and no longer own the Conquest. I also feel like the eyecups on the Toric are much more comfortable. The Conquests are amazingly stable in their positions though and I would give them the edge in that regard. You can also get longer eyecups from Zeiss if you need them.

Having said all this you might like the Conquest better. The only way to know is buy both, compare them, and return the one you decide against. Tract has a 30 day trial period and most online dealers also have good return policys so it’s easy to do. They are both a substantial investment so you should compare yourself and decide which you like. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I don't know. I never had those two in the same magnification. Both are nice binoculars! Both are probably very similar optically too. At $524 the closeout Toric UHD is certainly the bargain of the two. IF they were the same price...I have to admit I'd probably go Conquest HD...

I would take the Tract Toric HD's over the Conquest HD for the same reason jgraider says. One other difference is the Tract IMO had better contrast than the Conquest and that is a big thing for me. I feel that is one area the Conquest is weak in contrast. Also, it depends on what you prefer but the Zeiss has a much colder color balance with the Tract being warmer. Also, as jgraider says the Conquest's eye cups are very poor. Probably the worst adjusting eye cups I have seen on any binoculars. If you need to adjust your eye cups often forget it. They are extremely tight and very rough in movement. When I first tried to adjust them I thought I had them all the way out but I didn't realize how HARD you have to twist them to get them to their fullest extension. Once you do get them all the way out they are too short for the eye relief. I called Zeiss for the longer set of eye cups and they said I would get them but I never received them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back