• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Hawfinch occurence last weekend....? (1 Viewer)

1277 over the last 10 years with 459 this year, so far
http://www.trektellen.nl/site/yeartotals/28/2017

Thanks for that rosbifs, :t: Hawfinches to one side for the moment. The Hague data has proved most illuminating!....a five fold increase on YBW between 2013 and 2014! and just 2 records of Common Nightingale in 2009 over the same period as YBW 2008-2017. From my perspective, too much of a coincidence, as I also recorded both species in Central London during the "same" years as the Hague's, the only difference being that both my records were rejected, even though I supplied images of the latter! Clearly the Dutch are more enlightened, in future I'll send my records to the Dutch...as they appear to be less "risk" averse.

Back to topic...another two Hawfinches within a flock of circa a dozen Chaffinches yesterday (didn't know that they "mixed?") heading North East.

PS has anybody else noted Hawfinch flying with other finches?

Cheers

PS has anybody else noted Hawfinch flying with other finches?

Cheers

My three lots (1, 3, 4) were all either alone (species wise) or with Skylarks in the last instance - though I think that was coincidental to a raptor reaction.

My three lots (1, 3, 4) were all either alone (species wise) or with Skylarks in the last instance - though I think that was coincidental to a raptor reaction.

Yes...all of my previous sightings have been single through the digits up to 6 (in flight), never with other finches, except when found ground feeding with other finches (Green/Chaff and Bramblings).

We are also having unprecented numbers of Hawfinches passing bythis fall..large flocks have been seen around Barcelona ,along with Siskins...both species are unusual in these numbers...

Week before last saw a flock of over 20 fly over me in southern Spain while we were sitting by a stream near farmland. Not sure how normal these are here?

Caught up with 2 to the west of London today + a possible 3 (distant in poor light) yesterday.

I checked the local maples today: no fruit at all. I would leave too if I were a Hawfinch!

I checked local (southeast Northumbs) tree seed crops today; on a scale 0-10 where 0=zero crop and 10=bumper crop:
Ash 0
Beech 2
Hornbeam 4
Lime 3
Maple 5
Yew 6

So not good amounts of seed, but enough to feed some Hawfinches for at least the first part of the winter. Yet still none around here yet.

I checked local (southeast Northumbs) tree seed crops today; on a scale 0-10 where 0=zero crop and 10=bumper crop:
Ash 0
Beech 2
Hornbeam 4
Lime 3
Maple 5
Yew 6

So not good amounts of seed, but enough to feed some Hawfinches for at least the first part of the winter. Yet still none around here yet.

Some interesting data there Nutty! Would be good to compare those figures with elsewhere.

The influx still appears to be running into high numbers (in Greater London certainly). At the weekend Saturday (circa 20+) and Sunday (c15+) as per London Wiki Birds being reported for the area. Today I had two going South at 6.50 am (taking no prisoners en-route), then one NW-SE (almost casual compared to the previous two), then one that landed in yonder Hornbeam, before being joined by a second bird, then both went East....a few images...marginally better than some of my silhouette BOPS...just!

Needless to say I'll be up at first light again tomorrow, FWIW all my sightings were between 6.52 and 9.55 am.

PS....another circa 20 sightings in total today in Greater London!

Attachments

• P1590449.jpeg  Hwfnch.3..jpg
    P1590449.jpeg Hwfnch.3..jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P1590454.jpeg  Hwfnch.6..jpeg
    P1590454.jpeg Hwfnch.6..jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 86
  • P1590464.jpeg  Hwfnch.interesting posture..jpeg
    P1590464.jpeg Hwfnch.interesting posture..jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
In Malta we've had possibly the highest ever numbers of hawfinch as well as a huge chaffinch migration. Also above average numbers of siskins and bramblings, the latter being usually very scarce. Must be a severe shortage of food in their breeding grounds.

As a conservation-related sidenote, due to the finch trapping derogation to the Birds Directive, thousands of these finches have been caught. There is supposed to be a 10-bird quota per trapper, but obviously this is widely ignored :(

In my experience and obviously fruit levels dependent, far and away the best place to look for Hawfinch is on Yew Trees, as they seem to have a real preference for the fruit.

Best get checking your local old church yards.

Circa 28 Hawfinch sightings reported in Greater London today (so far), surely this must be a peak count already for the area from 6 sites (during this current influx), North, South, East and West of the centre...It would be a challenging/impossible task? to guess-timate the numbers involved just for the G.Lndn. area let alone the (country as a whole...are we talking 3 digits or more?) :eek!:

If it's due to a shortage of their usual food sources, I suppose it's too much to hope that these notoriously fussy eaters may get the hint and realise that they are finches with massive bills that could eat pretty much anything if they were so inclined.

If I remember rightly, they're listed as eating seeds of around 90 different species of trees and shrubs :t:

That makes their particular nature even harder to understand.

It means that places with reduced woody plant diversity (Britain, and even more, Ireland) have fewer Hawfinches than places with higher woody plant diversity.

In Europe, woody plant diversity is highest in the Balkans, and Hawfinches are ridiculously common there, compared to what we are used to :t:

maple seeds... a Hawfinch staple ..... I checked the local maples today: no fruit at all. I would leave too if I were a Hawfinch!

In my experience ... far and away the best place to look for Hawfinch is on Yew Trees, as they seem to have a real preference for the fruit.

Been thinking about this a bit more:

Maple seeds contain saponins (toxic)
Yew seeds contain taxine (toxic)
Hornbeam and Beech seeds contain tannins (toxic)

So do many other tree seeds contain various toxins.

But if a Hawfinch eats a small amount of each of lots of different seeds, then it has a far better chance of avoiding a damaging dose of any one toxin. Some of the toxins may even have neutralising effects on other toxins (e.g. saponins and tannins are good at binding to other organic compounds, which is why they're toxic in the first place).

That could explain well why Hawfinches do best where tree species diversity is greatest, and also why they are such "notoriously fussy eaters".

An interesting research project for a PhD student, perhaps?

In Europe, woody plant diversity is highest in the Balkans, and Hawfinches are ridiculously common there, compared to what we are used to

That could explain well why Hawfinches do best where tree species diversity is greatest, and also why they are such "notoriously fussy eaters".

Perhaps, but I think Lithuania is characterized by a relatively low tree diversity, yet still Hawfinches are very common.

This map indicates tree diversity as low in Lithuania.

Record year here in Cornwall - previously c180 birds ever, 90+ this year so far (although many are of flyovers/vismig).

Down in France when I've been there, there have always been 1 or 2 in winter feeding on cherry stones down the drive (assumed it was the same few birds overwintering, as opposed to a changeover every friday ... )

Record year here in Cornwall - previously c180 birds ever, 90+ this year so far (although many are of flyovers/vismig).

Down in France when I've been there, there have always been 1 or 2 in winter feeding on cherry stones down the drive (assumed it was the same few birds overwintering, as opposed to a changeover every friday ... )

Are they ''U'' Turning at Lands End or going on to colonise the New World? ;)

What is the predominant compass point (if any) in Cornwall on their departure?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back