• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding advice, near Oban. (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

I am on holiday near Oban next week, and although I’m fairly booked up I’m hoping to get at least a day of birding in. I have already arranged a trip to Lunga to see the puffins and other sea birds, & hopefully Sea Eagles if lucky!

But are there any other marks close by that people could recommend? I would especially like to see Short-eared Owl if that is around as I’ve never seen one, and if not, I could do with practising divers and grebes.

I’m also walking Ben Nevis, so any advice on what to look out for there would also be great.

Many thanks,

Tom

Hi Thomas,
I stayed in Oban a few years ago, but it was before I really took up birding. If I was to go back with birding in mind, I believe I would take the short ferry trip out to Mull. Certainly Sea and Golden Eagles would be on the menu.

If you do that, there is an informative section in Gordon Hamlett's book, Best Birdwatching Sites - Highlands, that will be worth your while taking a look at.

Thanks for the advice, and I’ve heard a lot of positives about Mull so far, so I might try for an extra day. Unfortunately I’m leaving tomorrow morning so I won’t get the chance to buy the book.

Hi Thomas

You'll get loads of information and website links, including for Mull Birds, in The Opus article for Mull.

When I stayed in Oban a few years ago, CalMac did some wildlife tour trips, which were good value for money, especially as you didn't need to take the car. I've not checked their website this year to see if they're still doing them.

You might pick up the owls in Glen More (on the way to Fionnphort) or the moorland between Dervaig and Tobermory.

On the mainland, I just don't know I'm afraid.

Hi Delia,

Yes I had already arranged a trip through CalMac and Turus Mara to the Treshnish Isles, which was an amazing experience I will never forget. Managed my first White-tailed Sea Eagle, Black Guillemot, & Great Skua on the trip.

Unfortunately I didn't see a Golden Eagle, or Short-eared Owl! But nonetheless it was a great holiday and didn't want to leave.

Another highlight being a Pine Marten coming to the kitchen door at 1am whilst drunk & playing cards!

Many thanks,

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back