• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best binoculars? (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best average all round binoculars? Just to say I don’t know much about this subject. But just to say I’ve got a pair of Zeiss 8x42 HT binoculars.
Ian.

Hi Ian, welcome

You will get as many different opinions as members to that question.
My opinion, Zeiss, Leica, and SW make outstanding optics;
Nikon makes a wide range, from outstanding to sub par.
Many other companies make almost as good at more reasonable prices.
Best all around average size probably 8x42s, with argument for 8x32s.

All binoculars are compromises so depends on need, use, available money to spend
and most of all personal preference

For best answer to your question I would suggest
William Cook's "Binoculars: Fallacy & Fact" book

edj

Last edited:
Kamakura koki binoculars, no matter how much they try to stay hidden making oem contract binoculars for the other major companies

Ian

On the face of it your question is very reasonable until you try to define what characteristics would be needed to make a bino, or range of binos, the best. And when you try to factor-in the retail price and take value for money into account: there lies the road to madness, which by coincidence leads to Bird Forum, Binoculars Section :king:

EDJ summed it up very well.

Lee

At the top of the heap are Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica. Not everything that each makes is premium, and other OEM's, or folk like Bushnell and the occasional appearances like Zen-Ray, Maven, Tract etc. 'make' stuff that to all extents and purposes is 'almost' as good for far less money. But it's a rabbit-hole without bottom, so take the red or blue pill and join the threads of the Undead that we inhabit...:eek!:

At the top of the heap are Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica. Not everything that each makes is premium, and other OEM's, or folk like Bushnell and the occasional appearances like Zen-Ray, Maven, Tract etc. 'make' stuff that to all extents and purposes is 'almost' as good for far less money. But it's a rabbit-hole without bottom, so take the red or blue pill and join the threads of the Undead that we inhabit...:eek!:

The man with the mischievous looking dog nailed it

Watch out folks, the Gaels are coming.....in fact they are here! OMG!

Lee
:-O
I think it's hard to answer the OP's question regarding the best all-round 'average' marque. The differences between the top end binos are all miniscule to a normal person (whatever that is). Your choice, Ian, would probably depend as much on ergonomics, weight, shape etc. as on the optical qualities. Maybe moreso. If you're happy with your Zeiss HT 8x42, it's probably best to leave well enough alone, because the search for something very marginally 'better' in some area will leave you dissatisfied with a trade-off elsewhere, and could lead you on a very expensive wild goose chase, most likely ending up right back where you started (except with massive opportunity cost that could have been spent on birding holidays, or a nice scope, or a nice bicycle....alternatively, wanna buy a small dog?;))

I would not select by brand but by binocular size needed for your preferences first. Like 10x50 or 8x30 etc. Then you can compare several variants and brands and new versus used ones. One brand can build some stuff in-house but might buy entire own branded series completely from outside companies (which must not be bad at all). So brands (or high prices) alone are no fail safe indicator for quality anymore.
Having said that some pretty good bet by quality and variety and punch for the penny should be Meopta.

Last edited:
To me, the Best company making the Best average (to very good) all round Binos is Opticron.

Their Bino offer is really impressive, the quality very good, and their warranty and repair service is as good (if not better) as Swarovski.

Hello,

As per the Original Post, I have had good experiences with Nikon, Leica and Zeiss. I have had less than happy experiences with that Austrian brand's 7x50 and 7x42 Porro binoculars. Currently, I am reliant on a Zeiss 8x32 FL. In about eleven years, the only problem was jammed eyecup caused by a knock, to which Zeiss attended with speed.
Should either Zeiss or Leica introduce a state of the art 8x32, I would investigate it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best average all round binoculars? Just to say I don’t know much about this subject. But just to say I’ve got a pair of Zeiss 8x42 HT binoculars.
Ian.

You have binoculars from one of the top makers right now. An 8x42 strikes me as a fine all around design useful for many observing tasks. Are you looking to supplement them with something different? Smaller objectives and higher mag?

You have binoculars from one of the top makers right now. An 8x42 strikes me as a fine all around design useful for many observing tasks. Are you looking to supplement them with something different? Smaller objectives and higher mag?
Well with my financial situation just now, probably not. The 8x42 HT Binoculars which I’ve had for approx 3-4 years are excellent binoculars for myself.
Ian.

..........The 8x42 HT Binoculars which I’ve had for approx 3-4 years are excellent binoculars for myself.
Ian.

how do you want to improve on excellent?

if too heavy, consider the lighter 8x32s, but not as good in low light
if need higher mag for distant birds, consider 10-12x but becomes hard to hold steady
if need more light gathering in low light consider 50mm but heavier

always tradeoffs,
edj

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back