• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

I use an 8GB Class 4 SDHC card. That will give me over 400 shots shooting in RAW or over 1000 in Large Fine JPEG. It will also handle video without any problems.

Mike

A Class 4 is no where near fast enough for the V1 frame rate. It wants at least a Class 10 to maximize performance, especially if you use the HD video.

Digiscoping with the 30-110mm

It seems that since Neil's early experiments there has been little mention of the 30-110mm lens for use in digiscoping. I'd say that if it's physically compatible with your adapter system then it's definitely worth trying when you'd like longer reach. At distance, in fairly decent light, I've found that it is capable of producing images which show more detail than when using the 11-27.5mm (though that's an excellent digiscoping lens as well).

Here's a Common Snipe at c70m.
Nikon V1
30-110mm lens at 69mm (186mm efl)
Kowa 823 with 32x ep
Kowa DA1A adapter
ISO 200
1/320 sec
Cropped and lightly processed in CS5

David

Attachments

• Snipe3Snape27Mar13.jpg
    Snipe3Snape27Mar13.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 457
A great shot, David. The image is well-exposed and shows good detail. What is the balance on the scope like with the 30-110 compared to the smaller zoom?

Mike

A great shot, David. The image is well-exposed and shows good detail. What is the balance on the scope like with the 30-110 compared to the smaller zoom?

Mike

Thanks Mike, this was on taken on a beanbag, so there were no balance problems. Using it on a tripod, I've found it not much more difficult than with the 11-27.5mm, even on the not particularly robust Manfrotto 128RC head. Mine is an angled scope though, and I suspect that a straight one might be more prone to imbalance.

David

Good question - would also like to know what the 18.5mm pancake lens is like, largely due to its faster aperture.

Although it is rather thin the 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 is not as thin as a pancake. It is 1.3 stops faster than the f2.8 aperture of almost all pancake lenses.

Thanks - my bad.

Has anybody used this lens in combination with the Swaro DCBII?

The 18.5 mm is a good lens but has to be carefully setup on the DCB 11 to eliminate vignetting. If you look carefully at this full frame image you can see a little "shadowing" in the bottom corners.
I prefer to use a zoom lens as it gives you better framing options.
Neil.

Attachments

• curlew sands breed V1 18.5mm stx95 DSC_4933_edited-1.jpg
    curlew sands breed V1 18.5mm stx95 DSC_4933_edited-1.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 302
Help!
I've recently (8 hours ago!!) acquired a Nikon V1 with 10-30 with the intention of using it in part for digiscoping with a Swaro ATS HD 65+25-50. I'm hoping to use it in anger over the next 10 days and would appreciate any advice on settings which may maximise chances of getting record-quality images or better whilst hand-holding.

Medium term, any advice on best mount/adapter and remote release?

And long-term - is it work connecting it to a a Nikkor lens in the 200-300 mm range.

And finally any idea roughly how many shots per battery charge.

TIA
Russ

Short term, run A mode with the aperture set wide open.

Medium term, I customized my 10-30 for use with over the eyepiece adapters, but the universal adapter will work.

Long term, the FT1 adapter makes snapping on and using long Nikkors a snap.

Battery life is uh ... Really really good.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back