• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new EL 12x50, Plus and Minus (1 Viewer)

Pitter

Well I've had my new 12x50 for several weeks now. To my great relief the focusing is smooth and not sticky like that of the Leica 12x50 that I've had for years and will put up for sale. The image of course is exquisite as expected. I do have a couple of niggles. The thumb indents on the barrels, while thoughtful additions aren't quite right for my hands especially on the right where I'm using my index finger to focus the knob. The indent there is too far down the barrel for comfort. I wish they had just left the barrels smooth as it's annoying to try to fit my grip to their indents when I'm in a hurry to focus. Another are the big knobs where the neck strap connects to the barrel. On the left ok but on the right where my focusing finger is the knob sort of rubs against the skin between thumb and forefinger while holding and focusing the binocular. All of that is completely out of the way on the Leica. Also connecting those knobs to install the neck strap was a real pain in the neck, a completely unnecessarily complicated and fussy design. So if I were to rate this binocular on a scale of one to ten the optics would rate a ten and the ergonomics about a three. The positioning of knobs and thumb indents surely work for some but they don't work for me so why add fussy details to an optic that are not universal...all of that said I must now try to accustome myself to those awkward details.

...all of that said I must now try to accustome myself to those awkward details.

Pitter,

The EL 12X50 SV is an optically phenomenal powerhouse!! :eek!:

Glad to see you are giving them more time in accommodating their special ergonomics. Enjoy the view and maybe, you'll find favor in their attributes! :t:

Ted

12x intrigues me from time to time, but I never liked the EL design, either the flat thumb dents or the open bridge. I'd be much more comfortable with the Leica myself. So remind us why you're switching? Could Leica have fixed your focusing problem?

... Also connecting those knobs to install the neck strap was a real pain in the neck, a completely unnecessarily complicated and fussy design. ....

That was my first thought when I first saw the new mounting system for the strap. Why do engineers and manufacturers always try to reenvent the wheel?

Why not stick to what is foolproof and has proven itself throughout decades of bino production. Look at he first Trinovids from Leitz, now Leica. The same bullsh...t like with the new ELs.

A torn neck strap with this kind of mounting device will create problems where are actually none - with other manufacturer's products.

As well as with the new mounting device coming with EL-binos of the FieldPro type.

What normally can be fixed with just a piece of paracord or even a piece of packthread will lead you straight away into an operation even McGiver would make surrender unconditionally.

Attachments

• Leitz Leica binocular Trinovid alt.JPG
    Leitz Leica binocular Trinovid alt.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Leitz Leica binocular Trinovid strap alt.JPG
    Leitz Leica binocular Trinovid strap alt.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 34
That was also my first thought when I got my new ELs a couple of days ago. First off one of the buttons wouldn't come out easily so then I thought "this is an unnecessary repair waiting to happen. The whole thing is completely unnecessary IMO. I'm afraid to switch out the harness back and forth with the neck strap for fear I won't be able to get the pin in or out and I'll have to send them in. However everything else was just right. Overthinking at it's best. The neck strap is very comfortable. Best I've ever used.

I always put a high quality set of zipper pulls I buy at REI on a new set first thing. I have high quality locking clips on my harness and straps so I can interchange them quickly. Works great

Zipper pulls are Gear Aid Ergo. Clips are Nite Ize S-biner slidelock. Set you back about $12 for a set of each.

In nearly two years of use I`v had zero issues with the FP attachment system, frankly its genius, it takes literally seconds to take the strap on and off, I don`t need to leave the rain guard dangling all the time, 15 seconds I`v popped out the pin, put the strap end through the keeper on the rain guard, snapped the pin back in the hole and reattached the neck strap without taking the binocular off my neck.

Massive fan.

As long as it always does that if you don't remember to turn it fully in it can pop out and your bin take a swing. That happened the first time I tried it. I seem to have that worked out now. I'll rarely take them off a harness so hopefully never a problem. You have a good point about the rain guard though. Eventually after the newness wears off I'll likely do what you are doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back