• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Our Disappearing Birds (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

When I first arrived in Canada, some 64 years ago, everytime that I left the city I would see large flocks of what we called wild canaries (American Goldfinches). Flocks of 100 or more would fly it seemed above every field. Today I see flocks of perhaps a dozen. I used to get large flocks of Evening Grosbeaks at my feeders, now I rarely see even one per year. I haven't seen a Bobolink in several years. The same for Eastern Meadowlark. I wasn't here this winter to feed the birds but I did run feeders during the two winters before that. No Redpolls appeared, Pine Siskins were only around small numbers, perhaps 6-8 at a time. This spring I haven't seen Fox Sparrow nor heard a Whitethroated Sparrow. It is really sad. Three years ago I planted a bunch of Swamp Milkweed for the Monarchs but unfortunately I can't get to that area to see if it has taken.
I know some of the causes of the decline, we all do. The question is what can be done to reverse the situation. As a small landowner myself I maintain about 8 acres of untouched woodland along the river at the back of the proberty plus we reforested a couple of acres between the house and the road. There are a couple of acres that are left completely untouched to grow weeds or whatever. There are lots of pockets of uncultivated or wooded land scattered around our place. No chemicals are used. The only crop coming off of the land is hay, about 20 acres worth. I'd like to see the farmer leasing that acreage harvest it later in the summer but he has to fit cutting it in with the rest of his operation. The same goes for spreading manure on it.
I don't know what else I can do to help but I do know that our small efforts don't seem to be having any beneficial effects. I suppose that I'm writing this as a way to ease my frustration, to get it off of my chest. |8(||!|

Last edited:
Sad, and a global problem; it's just the same in Europe and elsewhere. A large part of it is due to agrochemical pollution - drift of herbicides and pesticides from the farms where they are used, to surrounding areas.

Global warming also plays a significant part, with nesting birds no longer connecting with the spring flush of insects so missing out on the opportunity to raise large broods, and the insects themselves missing out on the best times to hatch.

more than sad for me. i am concerned that pollination, fish spawning, hibernation, mammal breeding, all in the end would surely be affected if changes throw natural cycles out of synchronicity. and there is some evidence for dna and cell wall breakdown. then we have pollution, 5G and other possible problems. it may be too late.
i am, rather was, an optimist but now i am seriously worried as evidence of something is building of near catastrophic, cumulative effects. i wish i were not, i wanted to relax into retirement.

I lament the decreasing Monarch population. I can remember when the trees would be covered in them during the correct times of year at a "nearby" reserve, but these days aren't even close. :-C

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about starting a thread entitled ‘Silent Spring? following an afternoon walk along a dissused railing cutting I used to visit in North Norfolk. The cuttings I walked are approximately a mile long bordered by a fantastic shrub mix of Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Whitethorn, Buddlia imm. Willow and Ash, wildflower edges packed with flowering grasses, nettles, poppies, vetch, campion etc etc

Either side of the old railway are fields of Rape, Wheat, Barley and ploughed root vegetable fields.

On an optimum day (muggy, windless) in optimum habitat, I saw and heard only 3-4 Skylark and only two in flight song, only 1 pair of Yellowhammer, only two 2 chiffchaff, only 7 or 8 Common Whitethroat and only only 1 Lesser. No Willow warblers, only 2 Greenfinch and only 1 pair of Housemartins. Other birds seemed to be faring better this year with House Sparrow, numerous Woodpigeon, Blackcaps and Goldfinch which seems to mirror my garden ratios for those ssp.

A surprise was a Reed Bunting but also noted, a marked increase in Red Kite which now have a strong foothold in this part of Norfolk, a noted increase in Common Buzzard, (several of whom were being heavily mobbed by the Red Kite) but only 1 Kestrel and no Sparrowhawks. As far as raptors are concerned, very much a changed situation here.

It’s not just birds, even going back 5 years, this time of year, the drone of bees was a constant background noise - I counted very few bumble bees on a 1 mile track.

Butterflies and daytime moths also dissapearing in the last couple of years, in that 1 mile stretch of wildflower borders both sides of the path, Large Whites plentiful, 1 Orange Tip and one cinnabar sp but no Meadow Browns, no Brimstone, no fritillary ssp, none of the even common ssp that could be seen here (even though all the arable field had wild seed borders in full bloom)

I was only out for a couple of hours but I returned thinking how comparatively silent and devoid of insects it all was compared to only 5-10 years ago and wondered whether we’ve really moved on at all with songbirds from the scenarios described by Rachael Carson in the 60s.

It seems despite the best efforts of farmers with bird and insect strips, the rate of songbird and insect decline at this point seems an uphill battle in some areas.

A lot of shrubs and even some flowers are blooming here at the moment. Outside of my window there are both Lady's Mantle and Bleeding Heart loaded with flowers. I see an occasional Bumble Bee visiting the plants but have not yet seen a Honey Bee. Many farmers here now rent hives of bees to polinate their crops. Butterflies are around, Cabbage Whites and a small Sulpher predominate. It has been a cold, wet spring so that may have an affect on the insects. Last night the outside door was covered in June Bugs so apparently they have a healthy population.
On the other side of this discussion, some species are thriving and expanding their ranges. Turkey Vultures are now being seen here fairly regularly where they were very rare previosly. Mourning Doves 20 years ago were a rarity but now are extremely common. Cardinals and Orioles seem to be moving east. Sandhill Cranes and Great Egrets seem to be reported more frequently lately. I just bought an Oriole feeder and I will put it out tomorrow. I don't expect to get Orioles but you never know. It might attract bees so that would be interesting to see.

hi, in addition to a flowering tree of 6 metres, cherry laurel, hawthorn, azaleas have been in full blossom for weeks, now another shrub and dozens of roses are in bloom alongside of buttercups, daisies and a few remaining poppies. in weeks i have seen only a handful of honey bees, and can only count a couple of bumblebees and the odd butterfly every few days. hoverflies went before the blooms so i have no idea how pollination can take place. perhaps night feeding moths but i have only seen a few of those. if i were younger i would get a hive. i hope this is just an aberrant year and not a set pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back