• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Titchwell May 13th

Today's highlights

Black tern - 4 on fresh marsh, 5 west offshore
Temminck's stint - 1 on fresh marsh although elusive
Pied flycatcher - female in carpark
Common sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on brackish marsh
Black tailed godwit - 25 on fresh marsh

Lets hope we get a bit of rain and the place will be crawling with birds!

Paul

I think its a good thing they leave information on the RBA free map for 24 hours. I find it interesting to look and see what has turned up during the day even though its very unlikely that i will even go and see it. Just because a bird has not been seen for several hours does not mean its not still there. Its up the the birdwatchers to go out and find it if they want to see it instead of releying on a bird information service to point it out for them. Be thankful at least you had a hint that the bee eaters were there and may still be in the area.

I like to read the weather , select the habitat and hope to find the bird I was hoping to see. If i see a collection of birdwatchers gathered togeather I walk the other way rather than join the rat pack. If I miss some waife or stray so what , there is always another day.

Last edited:
Tide Times - next few days

In case anyone might be off down Blakeney Point, East Hills, Scolt Head or other remote bits of the North Norfolk coast in the next few days (can't think why?! ;)), these are the tide times:

High tide:
Thurs 10:03
Fri 10:41
Sat 11:27
Sun 12:23

It varies between a 4.5 and 5.8 metre tide, so a lowish high tide if you see what I mean.

I only managed to get 45mins birding in today between surveys- amazingly managed to get 42 black Terns and 68 Arctic Terns in that time. The blacks past in one flock which was quite a sight, just as I thought I may have missed the passage!
I think its going to be a case of trying to find a sheltered spot on the coast tomorrow and wait and see what happens. Could be a great fall day....I hope so!

What an amazing day. I think the gods were smiling on me today. Started off at cley at 6.45am and saw the citrine wagtail around 7ish, I thought that was my luck for the day as with clear skies surely it would be long gone. Late morning had good views of the wagtail along with c40 black terns and 2 temminck's. Then after lunch while strolling up east bank a Hoopoe flew past parallel to the bank inland over the reed bed !! It disappeared into the wood on the south side of the coast road. Luckily mark golley re-found it and I think a few people saw it near the hangs. After getting over the shock of that I carried on up east bank and round to the back side of Arnold's marsh to look at the terns and maybe kick something out of the vegetation. While sitting down out of the wind, pretty close on Arnold's a plover caught my attention, initially it looked like a young ringed as it was standing close to an adult. But something was not right, its early may, ringed plovers are only on eggs !! Close scrutiny revealed a Kentish plover in a weird looking 1st year plumage. Mark Golley appeared again and helped me confirm the ID as a 1st summer female kentish. what a day !!

Black Terns etc

Had 38+ Black Terns east past East Runton during a late morning seawatch. Only ever seen autumn birds moving through the patch before, so to see these was very satisfying.

Also had the first Sanderlings, Common Sand and Common Terns for the patch this year.

Also a couple of recent photos from the patch attached of a stunning male Black Redstart and a Whinchat.

Simon

Attachments

• Black Redstart7.jpg
    Black Redstart7.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Whinchat16.jpg
    Whinchat16.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 68
AWESOME DAY!

Titchwell RSPB

Met up with my father who was involved in the Moth session along with Paul Eele etc at 9.30am. Was then going to have breakfast (didn't have time this morning, still tired from yesterday!) when news came through of 2 black terns on the fresh marsh, so bought a cereal bar and flew up the main path to watch two stunning Black Terns flying round (10.30am). I then continued up to the platform by the sea - the winds were ferocious to say the least, I was the only one here and I had to climb over a bank of sand that completely blocked the path at the end and the area behind the seat on platform was completely filled with sand:eek!: I had a real job to stand here with sand gusting violently across me, if I had let go of my scope it would have whipped away like a hankerchief! I managed to stand long enough to see 3 Black Terns going east (trying to!) 10.40am and 2 going west 10.50am - I just couldn't stand there any longer! Walked back to centre and had cheese and onion toasties:eat: and a cup of coffee. Walked round the Fen Trail and pshhed out a crisp male blackcap who was 'tacking' away and 1 chiffchaff. Lots of LBJ's frustratingly that magically disappeared! I was hoping for a pied fly or spot fly, but no luck. Someone had had a lesser redpoll on the feeders at 10am (still have not seen one this year in Norfolk!) Had a look round the bushes in carpark, but found nothing exciting apart from usual robins and there were no birds on the ploughed field. (later on someone had a pied fly in the carpark!!!)

I was then going to Holme as have not been for a while when the pager bleeped up Blythes Reed Warbler at Gun Hill and another message not long after Hoopoe at Cley - hmmmmmm which is it to be, hoopoes have a notorious knack of disappearing and I didn't really want to travel too far today, so opted for the Blythe's which would have been a lifer! So off I go on exactly the same route as Monday! - parked on the layby on main road and walked down Bone's Drift. I realised when I met up with Richard M (who had found the bird) that I was only the 2nd person out there followed very closely behind by 3 other local birders. Richard very kindly told me exactly where he had seen the bird and I proceeded to the area of bushes seaward side of Gun Hill. A whitethroat messing about in the bottom of a bush got us all excited and there were a few linnets dotted about. After what seemed like hours of psshing and squeaking etc etc I got fed up with looking in bushes, especially when Cley had a Hoopoe and now on my pager a fem. Kentish Plover!!!!!!!!!! So at 4pm I went back to the car. While driving along the coast road I overtook a car that was poodling along and got the one finger sign so I returned the same back - SOME PEOPLE!!!

Anyway arrived in Cley Beach Carpark (lots of cars here;)) and bumped into Mark Golley on the way - some other birders returning back from North Hide said the Kentish p had flown:eek!: - Mark very kindly phoned a friend in the hide who said it had returned (thanks);) so off I went. I don't normally like to just tick a bird but I didn't spend long in the hide as it was like sardines, scope legs crossing each other, you know what I mean! Saw the Kentish Plover sitting with a dunlin and ringed plover on the end of spit at 5.45pm. The sight of so many black terns flying round the pools was incredible, I have never witnessed anything like this before, it was awesome - I notice on RBA that someone counted 37 I think at one point. The numbers of Black Tern seen along the Norfolk coast today must amount to hundreds at least I guess.

Walsey Hills NOA

Decided to have a look round Walsey Hills (always good for a pied fly) but found nothing apart from a chiffchaff in the bottom Willow eating a green caterpillar, willow warbler singing and great tits and robins bounding about. Walked miles up around fields and woods up round The Hangs - massive of bluebells in 'Fallen Wood' (I think its called) and walked back along bottom path through Walsey. I could see several small birds landing in the wood next to Walsey as I left - looked like they had just come in:t: As I was about to pass Old Woman's Lane I had a quick chat with Jamie M. who had been up B. Point today (not alot there apart from Black Terns) who said there he had heard there was a nice male Pied Fly at Kelling Quags!!! (I wish I had known that earlier!!!) pity it didn't get on the pager, never mind - another day tomorrow!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

P.S. Steve Gantlett has some fab pictures on Cley birds today on:
http://www.cleybirds.com/Cley 2009.1.htm

Last edited:
Was lucky enough to have a quick look on Rush Hill Scrape at Hickling yesterday whilst out with volunteers maintaining the hides. In my five minute scan, saw 1-2 corking Curlew Sands, 1 Little Stint, 3 Barwits, c30 Turnstone, 8 Greenshank, 2 Sanderling, c30 Ringed Plover, 6 Dunlin, 1 LRP, etc. Waders were dropping in as we watched, which made it very exciting. I wish I could have stayed all day, but sadly was working...
A few Arctic Terns were seen over the Broad earlier too and 3+ Hobbies.
Cheers
Jono

Titchwell May 14th

Today's highlights

Black tern - 6 on fresh marsh
Kittiwake - adult on fresh marsh
Med gull - 2 adults on fresh marsh
Little gull - 3 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on frsh marsh
Turtle dove - 4 west
Pied flycatcher - female in carpark although very elusive
Redstart - 1 on Meadow Trail briefly
Whinchat - 2 in grazing marsh field

Paul

Holme Reserves

Searched NWT Forestry area thoroughly and only managed a lesser and common whitethroat, few meadow pipits, hedgesparrows and lots of hirundines whirling everywhere. Found a dodgy Sedge Warbler acting strange in bush! near the pay hut and searched along the back paddocks. Had lunch on NOA carpark and then after a quick scan round back of pines, took Connor to Stiffkey Fen so I could see the Little Stint and also view the Black Terns.

Stiffkey Fen - 4.30pm

Stunning sight of 15 Black Terns:t: 1 Little Stint, 2 Temmincks Stints, 1 Little Gull, 1 Greenshank and 5 Common Sandpipers were the specialities amongst other waders.

Cley NWT

Went for a repeat of yesterday and had much better views of the Kentish Plover from Daukes' Hide amongst lots of ringed plovers, 2 Temmincks Stints and lots of general waders. I did not pick up on the brief view of the Citrine again but others did. Black Terns floating around to add to the scene! A Yellow Wag also feeding along the back edge of pool.

Here's hoping to raining birds!!!!!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl::gn:

Last edited:
Last night at Whitlingham new bit: Whimbrel, Ringed Plover, 14 Common Sands.
This morning: 2 Black Terns and a Mandarin.
Cheers

Hi all,
I'm off to cley 2moz and wondered if I'm rite in saying that the Citrine Wag and the Kentish Plover have been seen from Daukes Hide most of the time also does anyone now any more on the Icterine Warbler 2day at Cley.

The last news on the Kentish / Citrine double act was no sign of either.

Icterine was singing from Church Lane, 50m from village hall by entrance to allotments....but there's been a no sign message on that as well!

Titchwell May 15th

Today's highlights

Black tern - 11 on fresh marsh
Grasshopper warbler - 1 singing on grazing meadow
Spoonbill - 1 west over reserve @ 11:30 then on fresh marsh all afternoon
Hobby - 1 west

Paul

Cley

Hi all,
I'm off to cley 2moz and wondered if I'm rite in saying that the Citrine Wag and the Kentish Plover have been seen from Daukes Hide most of the time also does anyone now any more on the Icterine Warbler 2day at Cley.

Just got in from an hour at Cley and saw neither. Only highlight was a spoonbill right in front of Daukes

Tip of the Day

To see great birds....

Wait until I get home then go to the place i've just been, or somewhere close.. something will always turn up.... you cant fail !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back