• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what price Swift Audubon HR/5 8.5x44 (1 Viewer)

bentleyg

Grahame
Have a pair of Swift Audubon HR/5 8.5x44s, serial number 881195, bought new, presumably in 1988, and now in well used but fully functional condition. Case and strap as new. Did sterling service for me at first but not used for some years as more modern bins now better suit my eyes, and neck! Anybody any idea of an asking price? May as well leave them in the cuboard for emergencies if it's only going to be a few tens of pounds.

bentleyg said:
Have a pair of Swift Audubon HR/5 8.5x44s, serial number 881195, bought new, presumably in 1988, and now in well used but fully functional condition. Case and strap as new. Did sterling service for me at first but not used for some years as more modern bins now better suit my eyes, and neck! Anybody any idea of an asking price? May as well leave them in the cuboard for emergencies if it's only going to be a few tens of pounds.

They are fetching £60 - £100 depending on the condition on E-bay. If "well used" is a euphamism for tatty you might be looking at £50.

HTH
Chris

bentleyg said:

I agree with Chris. A very clean Type 4b(1) — marked "Multi-coated Optics"? — might sell for $125-150 on eBay. Dings and dents will detract greatly from the price. Type 4b(2) — marked "Fully Multi-coated," should fetch a bit more in excellent condition, but still less than $200.

I'm curious whether your coatings are distinctly light green, or have a blue-green cast like the earlier Type 4a (804R)?

Of course, I wouldn't recommend that anyone sell one of these classics, but, then, if you're not using them...

Ed

HR5s have made £127.50 and £155 on ebay in the last 6 months its mk 2 that can be picked up more cheaply over here but in my opinion they are not as good

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back