• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (4 Viewers)

S'Albufera today. Sa Roca - Purple Gallinule 2, Cattle Egret 3, Little Egret 25, Glossy Ibis 10, Black Winged Stilt 3, LRP 10, Kentish Plover 1, Osprey 1, Marsh Harrier 1, Purple Heron 2, Red Knobbed Coot 2+2y, Coot 2, Moorhen 2, Night Heron 3, Great Reed Warbler 3 singing males. Es Cibollar - Kentish Plover 45+3 chicks, Black Winged Stilt 2+1chick, Black Headed Gull 5, Elenora's Falcon 1, Purple Heron 1, Avocet 2, Night Heron 1, Shelduck 1, Cormorant 1, Common Tern 4 +3 juveniles, Fan Tailed Warbler c30. Heronry - Little Egret c200, Cattle Egret c50.

Last edited:
Hi Mike

I used to get them calling when I was moth trapping on the dunes of Es Comu. It's been a couple of years since I've done that at the right time of year but I imagine they are still there. Any of the wooded areas between the hotels opposite s'Albufera and the roundabout at Can Picafort might be worth a search - bearing in mind to enter only from either end and not as the tourists do (off the main road!).

No news about Nightjars in the surroundings of Pollença or Port de Pollença, sorry.

Cristina.

It seems that the shark species seen off Cabrera was probably a Mako shark, not Great White. Apparently, Mako is even rarer.
There is another video doing the rounds today but I believe it is of a Basking shark, the dorsal is wrong for Great White. Still impressive though, these records are unusual so something is going on.
I have been seawatching almost every evening recently but seen nothing rare, just a lovely adult Mediterranean Gull flying close by and quite a few Dolphin sightings. I always live in hope. Mike

No, it’s now a Porbeagle shark. I didn’t think shark identification would be so difficult. The other shark was a Basking shark.
Thanks Martin, dragonflies are sometimes numerous here, it will be nice to know more and that is probably the most comprehensive guide I’ve ever seen, some amazing photography.
Mike

Last edited:
I've written up some notes on my visit in June.

Stew

Attachments

• Mallorca June 2018.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Thanks Stew, agree with you on Son Real, such a great place. Perhaps the singing Wren in Boquer was the same I had one or two weeks later. Needed to be cheered up after that disappointing loss in the WC :)

620 Scopoli’s shearwaters seen tonight from my usual seawatch at Porto Petro. Only one lonely Mediterranean shearwater seen which just shows how the seawatching scene changes over the summer.
Absolutely nothing else out there, just a few local Audouin’s gulls, a couple of Pallid Swift and some Rock doves nearby.
The salt pans have been quiet too, just waiting now for some return migration.
Mike

Hi Mike
Don't know what happened but I replied to this yesterday - but it had disappeared by this morning!
It's Scopula imitaria, the Small Blood-vein.
Martin

An unseasonal Honey Buzzard was seen yesterday at Cabrera. The autumn migration begins early August, usually starting with Black Kite, I first saw them coming through last year around the 9th. Also, young Rollers can be seen around this time.
I have seen most of my Golden orioles in August too as have some birding friends. Most people believe they come through much later but August is a good month. Mike

This one obligingly flew in through the window a few minutes ago.
If anyone is getting fed up with the moth posts, please say so and I will send direct.
I am very much enjoying the experience though and I know some others do too, so I hope it’s ok.
Besides, it’s awful quiet at the moment bird wise.
Mike

Last edited:
I photographed this Booted Eagle a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post it.
I’m assuming it’s a very young bird with a tail that has not yet fully grown.
Any comments would be useful.
Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Damselfly

While we're on a non-birding kick...

I can't believe that this one got past me (I plead first-day overload). I took this shot at Ca'n Cuarassa on 4th June - sadly it's the only shot I have, and I've only just reviewed it. Those of you who know the site will know that the only nearby fresh water is the two screened pools. I don't think that there's any flowing water there.

I reckon that this is a coenagrion, but when I did my literature search recently I found no recent coenagrion records. I'm struggling with the ID - can anyone help please?

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_9535 (2).jpg
    IMG_9535 (2).jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 76
Hi Stew
The only two Coenagrion species recorded from the Balearics are: Coenagrion caerulescens (Fonscolombe 1838) and Coenagrium scitulum [the last was determined from larvae by one of our TAIB team]. The first is only recorded from Menorca but the second is from both Mallorca and Menorca, as new records (by García-Aviles, J., Puig, Mariàngels, Soler, A. & Ferreras-Romero, M. 1995. Odonatologica 24(3) : 269-282). Clearly neither are your specimens.
I'll now show my ignorance of all things odonatalogical, isn't it I. elegans?
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back