• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG - where are you? (1 Viewer)

Nikon will repair or replace any Nikon bin under it's No Fault Policy for 10 bucks, regardless if you are the original owner. Of course, the "replace" part obviously has limits with discontinued models.

http://www.nikondownload.com/nofault.asp

Oops, looks like JG just beat me to it! This has been mentioned so many times on the forums, I am surprised that some people (and species of birds) still don't know about it.

Brock

Last edited:
Call Nikon and ask them...I have. The piece you referenced was a modification of Nikon's official policy, which says nothing about ownership.
I've had repairs performed by Nikon and they can, and do, ask for a valid warranty registration.

From the warranty card...
"You must present the attached warranty form with proof-of-purchase and proof-of-purchase date to obtain warranty service".

Read http://www.nikondownload.com/nofault.asp carefully.
"If your Nikon Binocular, Spotting Scope or Fieldscope requires service or repair not covered by our 25 Year Limited Warranty..." implies you better have an original warranty.

Did you know scope eyepieces aren't usually covered?

Believe what you want and either buy the bin or not. This is silly. Nikon is a great company with excellent service. I suggest you call them for an official answer to your question. 1-800-645-6687

PS
Nikon knows all about their serial numbers. They just don't want you to know.

Two things about this post would have me questioning a potential Nikon product. One, that a second owner is apparently not covered by warranty, big negative there.

And, two, that Nikon has product info. of use to a potential buyer [important enough to make or break a purchase] but is withholding this.

All in all, not very postive for Nikon I must say.....

Two things about this post would have me questioning a potential Nikon product. One, that a second owner is apparently not covered by warranty, big negative there.

And, two, that Nikon has product info. of use to a potential buyer [important enough to make or break a purchase] but is withholding this.

Don't they all! (Vortex excepted in #1) Nikon will charge you 10 bucks.

Bob

Last edited:

James,

Don't let the woodpecker mislead you. Nikon has one of the best warranty policies in the industry. Either he doesn't have his facts straight or the customer rep he talked to at Nikon did not.

There are two different Nikon warranties and two different Nikon repair centers.

If you bought your Nikon new and sent in your 25-year warranty card, then yes, you need to have the card and proof of purchase to be covered under that plan. You ship bins covered under the 25-year warranty to Nikon's repair facility in Mellville, NY.

If you bought your Nikon "pre-owned," you are still covered under Nikon's No Fault Policy, but you need to call Nikon to get a reference number and then send the bins (per their instructions, no caps, no accessories) to their El Segundo, California repair facility.

Here is the policy again:

"If any Nikon Scope is found to have defects in workmanship or materials, Nikon will, at their option, repair or replace it at no charge, even if you are not the original owner. No time limit applies and no warranty card is required."

http://www.4scopes.com/nikon_warranty.htm

The same applies to Nikon "pre-owned" bins. Mike Freiberg confirmed this on this forum within the past month, so this is not outdated information.

And as far as Bob's comment about Nikon charging $10, before Leica started its "Goodwill Policy" if you had a Leica bin that was not under warranty, you could end up paying more than you paid for the bin to get it repaired! Hence, the chief reason why I never bought a pre-owned Leica even when I saw some great deals.

Nikon has had its No Fault Policy for years, Leica just recently implemented theirs and I'm not sure if it covers all models (someone could chime in here if you know).

$10? "I'd call that a bargain. The best I ever had. The best I ever haaaad ..."

Brock

Last edited:
I hear the Who?

I just tuned in here as I am considering upgrading to one of the high end models. I am wondering about the speed of the focus mechanism. Would the speed (number of turns) on the EDG be comparable to the Monarchs? I have borrowed a pair of Monarchs in the past and found them much faster than my old Pentax? Then - a question, did any of you move to a "fast focus" bin from a "slow focus" bin - and how hard was it to accustom yourself to the faster focus?

On being reasonable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Thanks Mike. Here's a couple for you to check out. Nikon EDG 10x42 serial # 500344, and serial #500060 of same configuration.

Please give me the date of manufacture, and if these two have the improved/fixed/modified diopter ring that doesn't "free wheel", or has little to no resistance. I appreciate your help. Please do not respond to tell me to send them to Nikon for evaluation. Thanks again.
JG

Any word yet Mike? Anxiously awaiting.
JG

I asked Mike a very simple question, as a matter of fact I asked it twice over a week ago.... after he imformed me they were early production models and that's all Nikon would/could say about a manufacture date. As you may remember I am/concerned about the diopter problems on the first run of EDG I binos.

I then asked him if they were defective, if they would be fixed free of charge to me, not the original owner. Once again, I asked him twice over a week ago. I haven't heard anything, zero, nada, not even a "I'll try to find out" answer.

I ask you guys on the forum.......Don't you think, when we are asked to spend $1500-$2000 on binoculars, we deserve better service than this? This is a very, very simple question.

jgraider,

With all due respect, I think you're throwing MikeF under the bus on this. You're expecting him to be your personal gopher. Just imagine yourself sitting in his chair for a minute. Do you really think he has time to answer every little nit question that comes up on a (global) message board about a specific pair of binoculars from every hypothetical owner? Come on - you're over the top. A reasonable person should understand that yours is actually NOT a very simple question.

There is a well-oiled repair process waiting for you to use it. By all accounts it's really cheap or maybe even free. Now, should you decide to buy the binoculars (I'll be surprised if you do because you're letting minutiae get in the way) for a rather large discount AND you should discover there is an actual problem it seems EXTREMELY unlikely that Nikon will not fix it to your satisfaction.

So, since you asked - NO!! I don't think you deserve "better service than this". Grouse all you want about Nikon the company, but go thru the proper channels for service/warranty issues if and when you discover you have a real problem. It's not MikeF's job to hold your hand thru that process and not reasonable for you to expect him to.

I truly hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
I've posted this twice elsewhere in the Nikon thread but mine seems to be one of the few actual cases of a Nikon No-fault Warranty operating with a second-hand product (not a factory refurbished product). In November 2010, my second hand Nikon Venturer 10x42LX (part number 7346) was replaced by Nikon USA with a factory refurbished Nikon Premier 10x42 (part number 7536R) and a silver dot refurbished identification on the focussing wheel faceplate). I had the original warranty for the 10x42LX and the invoice for a previous No-fault Warranty repair. Only the latter was sent to Nikon.

jsmorytko, you need to learn how to read.......HE OFFERED to help, it was HIS idea. IF he didn't have time, he shouldn't have offered. BTW, I'm done with the Nikon prospect....I bought a NIB SLC HD for $1490 delivered. Tired of screwing with Nikon.

Well, it looks like you guys can't untrack from biccering long enough to answer questions.

Ain't it the truth? There's not another forum quite like it on the Internet. They act like old married couples.

I, for one, HATE fast focus and consequently dislike many recent/current bins. The Nikon 8x32 LX/HG is high on my sh#* list because of its fast focus, but some people love that feature. For me the 8x32 Zeiss FL is also too fast. I have 8x32 Swarovski EL, and its focus is slower than some others in its class. Still I think it is too fast, and I slowed it slightly by stretching three lengths of bicycle inner tube over the focus wheel, increasing its radius. It's a small difference, but it actually helped.

There is no way to tell from manufacturer specs what focus speed is like, so you have to try them for yourself. I don't know a current roof-prism bin that has that slow, fine focus that was on some older porro-prism bins, which allowed you to tune a fine focus on your subject. The Nikon 8x32 SE is perfect for that, in part because of the large diameter of the focus wheel. It is still fast enough to change focus to another subject quickly.

I hear the Who?

I just tuned in here as I am considering upgrading to one of the high end models. I am wondering about the speed of the focus mechanism. Would the speed (number of turns) on the EDG be comparable to the Monarchs? I have borrowed a pair of Monarchs in the past and found them much faster than my old Pentax? Then - a question, did any of you move to a "fast focus" bin from a "slow focus" bin - and how hard was it to accustom yourself to the faster focus?

Argon:

I will pipe in here as one who owns the EDG, 2 models, and have had the Monarch, until I gave mine to my son for Christmas.

What I can say is that the Nikon EDG has a speed of focus that is very nice. I am
thinking it is similar to the Monarch. I do not know about the Pentax,
but I do know that the Nikon EDG focuser "is" the smoothest focuser available in
any binocular. ;) I own, or have tried many of the others. You will not find anyone
that will contradict that statement.

I think you would really like it. From my experience, the depth of field is very good
in the Nikon EDG, and the focuser and speed will be much to your liking.

I hope this helps. By the way, forget the bickering, Nikon is very good with any
warranty issues, if you would have any.

Jerry

I hear the Who?

I can't tell you about the Monarchs but the speed of the LX L, now known as the Premium, is quite fast. Many people do not like it for that reason. It doesn't bother me but I don't use it much anymore since I got an EDG. The focusing speed on that binocular is significantly slower. The focus wheel on my 10 x 32 LX L went from a dead stop closeup to dead stop past infinity in a 195 degree turn. It takes a 420 degree turn to do that on my 10 x 32 EDG. Both focus wheels are remarkably smooth. It is probably the smoothest in the industry and there is no back lash or looseness in the wheel either.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I teach a Beginner's Birdwatching class at the local Tech school. I get all types in there - shaded towards the older set. Seems to attract a lot of MD's. It is basic but fun and a lot of class members have really gotten into Birding after starting out only being able to id Cardinals, Robins and Blue Jays. My glass I bought in the late 90's was one of the first DCF WP Pentax models - it was in my budget at the time. I actually broke the screw (messing around) that held the focusing knob out of pure ignorance. I had to send the binocs off and was coming up on fall class date having no glass. I recommend the Monarchs to the class as a good entry level binoc. Most class members show up with opera glasses or old Sears porros or Ruby coated $50 knock offs. I had never used the Monarchs, however, and one of the former class members loaned me hers to conduct the class. Right off the difference in focus speed had me off kilter a bit. I handled it ok but definitely kept overshooting. Anyway...I can now afford the better glass and don't want to rule anything out. I am just not sure I would like the faster focus. I have been fine for years with the slower variety. I have a Swaro scope but don't want to automatically go for EL's. Biggest issue is there is no place within driving distance to check out bins.

Argon:

I think you would really like it. From my experience, the depth of field is very good
in the Nikon EDG, and the focuser and speed will be much to your liking.

Jerry

I agree. My 8x32 EDG has a smooth and precise focuser. For warblers, the speed is about perfect. For long-range viewing, I'd like it to be a little bit slower. But, overall, I think Nikon found a good balance between speed and fine-tunability. The depth of field is indeed very good. So good, that I often forget to refocus when I move from one object to another. Does anyone else have this problem?

I agree. My 8x32 EDG has a smooth and precise focuser. For warblers, the speed is about perfect. For long-range viewing, I'd like it to be a little bit slower. But, overall, I think Nikon found a good balance between speed and fine-tunability. The depth of field is indeed very good. So good, that I often forget to refocus when I move from one object to another. Does anyone else have this problem?

Spacepilot:

Now that is a good thing to hear, a satisfied user who does not have to constantly
move the focus. ;)

Problem, no it is a blessing, as in many optics like this it is a problem.
I think the depth of field in the Nikon EDG is one of its strong points. The 8x32 EDG, is size wise a bit larger, than many of the other alpha's, but does things very well, the focuser is best in class, speed and smoothness, and right now, until Swaro.
brings something forward, the balance of HD glass and great edges does bring
this model to the top. The only 8x32 to counter this superior view is the Nikon 8x32 SE, and in my opinion, which does many things very well, but the EDG, is better all around.

Jerry

The Eagle Optics site has specs listed - are these specs correct for the redesigned glass? The one item that I am speaking about would be the close focus at almost 10 feet.......Rob

Spacepilot:

Now that is a good thing to hear, a satisfied user who does not have to constantly
move the focus. ;)

Jerry

Or he has very good focus accommodation. ;)

One reason I traded my 8x32 LX to Steve (mooreorless) for his 8x32 SE is that I had to continually focus with the LX but not with the SE. I also had to reset the diopter on the LX for various distances the way I do on higher magnification bins.

So in my case, it was a combination mediocre focus accommodation and the LX's ultra fast focuser (0-60 in less than 1/2 turn).

From what I've read, the focusing speed on the 8x32 EDG is slower than the 8x32 LX, which is a welcomed change. The length of the EDG is also longer (5.6" vs. 5.1" for the LX). I'm not sure if that plays a part in the better depth perception that users seem to experience with the EDG vs. the LX or if it's mainly the slower focuser speed. IOW, is the FL longer (wouldn't that necessitate an EP redesign? I doubt Nikon would absorb that cost) or if the housing is just longer and the objectives more recessed?

The EDG is also about an ounce lighter than the LXL, which is about an ounce lighter than the Venturer LX, so they've managed to drop 2 oz. off the weight (the specs on Nikon's Website are for the double bridge EDG I, if the midsized roofs follow the pattern of the larger EDG models, there might be an additional ounce lost.)

The 25.2 oz. 8x32 LX was heavier than most of its competitors, the Leupold 8x32 GR excepted, which was the new heavy weight champ @ 27 oz.! (about an ounce less than a full sized EDG!)

The rest of the specs are the same:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/Binoculars/Premier/index.page

Brock

There's a new 8x42 EDG on UK eBay currently, the first I've ever seen for sale here, with 3 days to go. I'm more than happy with my HG and SE, but it will be interesting to follow this auction to its conclusion, just out of curiosity. No feedback provenance though...
P.S. Just noticed Nikon are due to officially launch the EDG Series this time next week, on 12th March, according to a newsflash...
P.P.S. Wrong! After reading the newsflash again, it was 12th March 2010 ! No wonder we ask, "EDG, where are you?" a year later...

Last edited:
Or he has very good focus accommodation. ;)

One reason I traded my 8x32 LX to Steve (mooreorless) for his 8x32 SE is that I had to continually focus with the LX but not with the SE. I also had to reset the diopter on the LX for various distances the way I do on higher magnification bins.

So in my case, it was a combination mediocre focus accommodation and the LX's ultra fast focuser (0-60 in less than 1/2 turn).

From what I've read, the focusing speed on the 8x32 EDG is slower than the 8x32 LX, which is a welcomed change. The length of the EDG is also longer (5.6" vs. 5.1" for the LX). I'm not sure if that plays a part in the better depth perception that users seem to experience with the EDG vs. the LX or if it's mainly the slower focuser speed. IOW, is the FL longer (wouldn't that necessitate an EP redesign? I doubt Nikon would absorb that cost) or if the housing is just longer and the objectives more recessed?

The EDG is also about an ounce lighter than the LXL, which is about an ounce lighter than the Venturer LX, so they've managed to drop 2 oz. off the weight (the specs on Nikon's Website are for the double bridge EDG I, if the midsized roofs follow the pattern of the larger EDG models, there might be an additional ounce lost.)

The 25.2 oz. 8x32 LX was heavier than most of its competitors, the Leupold 8x32 GR excepted, which was the new heavy weight champ @ 27 oz.! (about an ounce less than a full sized EDG!)

The rest of the specs are the same:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/Binoculars/Premier/index.page

Brock

I had none of the problems Brock talks about with Nikon 8x32LX. Just thought I was chime in, in case some people might think there was a problem with this sample LX. No trouble with diopter control, focuser speed, the focuser was a dream in this binocular. It just shows some people have problems and others don't I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back