• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Contacting guides in China (1 Viewer)

We are visiting China in March on a cruise stopping at Tianjin [Xingang] 10th/11th March; Shanghai 14th/15th March and then Hong Kong 18th - 21st March. We would like to contact some local guides to help us birding while at these places.
Help with names and contact details much appreciated.

Graham and Penny Lower [UK]

Graham,

Most of the good birding spots in Shanghai are reachable on a combination of metro + a quick taxi ride. Also, Thirudevaram, McMadd, and Frogfish are all birdforum members living in Shanghai. I'm not sure whether they'll be free on a weekday to join you, but if they're available, they know all the hotspots. If you do require a professional guide, MCaribou offers that service.

MKinHK used to guide in Hong Kong. He doesn't anymore, but I'm sure he can put you in touch with someone who does. You might also want to check out the HK Birdwatching Society Webpage. If they have an outing that weekend, you'd be welcome to join them. You might even find someone on the outing who speaks English!

Can't help you on Tianjin. Never been. But it's a quick 40 minute train ride to/from Beijing. Jesper Hornskov, who's based out of Beijing, guides in that area. His email is goodbirdmail(at)gmail.com or goodbirdmail(at)126.com. If he can't get to you, he can probably hook you up.

Hi Graham,

I think Dev and McMadd both have to work midweek and unfortuantely although I prefer to bird midweek I will have left for a sojourn in NZ the day before you arrive.

For Shanghai you could contact Zhang Lin who is an excellent guide from all accounts : http://www.shanghaibirdingtour.com/index.htm

or maybe find someone on this list who could help out too :
http://www.birdingpal.org/China.htm

Migration time so should be good.

Good luck !

Cheers
Kevin

Many thanks,HKBWS suggested Kwok Jai Chan,and frogfish Zhang Lin for Shanghai.

HKBWS
Graham,

Most of the good birding spots in Shanghai are reachable on a combination of metro + a quick taxi ride. Also, Thirudevaram, McMadd, and Frogfish are all birdforum members living in Shanghai. I'm not sure whether they'll be free on a weekday to join you, but if they're available, they know all the hotspots. If you do require a professional guide, MCaribou offers that service.

MKinHK used to guide in Hong Kong. He doesn't anymore, but I'm sure he can put you in touch with someone who does. You might also want to check out the HK Birdwatching Society Webpage. If they have an outing that weekend, you'd be welcome to join them. You might even find someone on the outing who speaks English!

Can't help you on Tianjin. Never been. But it's a quick 40 minute train ride to/from Beijing. Jesper Hornskov, who's based out of Beijing, guides in that area. His email is goodbirdmail(at)gmail.com or goodbirdmail(at)126.com. If he can't get to you, he can probably hook you up.

Many thanks, Bonnie Chan from the HKBWS suggested Kwok Jai Cheung and we have arranged two days with him. Frogfish suggested Zhang Lin and we have arranged two days with him. Beijing we will try to get to the Summer Palace on our own! Graham Lower

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back