• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Another environmental impact happened this week - this time a natural one. We were ravaged by terrific storms for several days. This week about 100 grey phalaropes have been blown to Orkney - amazing sight!
This unfortunate bird was found having damaged itself on fence-wire. It had completely lost a wing and was humanely dispatched on site and delivered to me.
I made a coupe of studies this evening - watercolour 12"x10".

Attachments

• phal.jpg
    phal.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 93
Another environmental impact happened this week - this time a natural one. We were ravaged by terrific storms for several days. This week about 100 grey phalaropes have been blown to Orkney - amazing sight!
This unfortunate bird was found having damaged itself on fence-wire. It had completely lost a wing and was humanely dispatched on site and delivered to me.
I made a coupe of studies this evening - watercolour 12"x10".

Tim,
Yet another great study. Strange I always thought they only had one wing and leg anyway, must be some reason they go round in circles.;)
You might want to check your calender on the mainland it was 30th October.

Congratulations on breaking the 2000, excellent thread, long may it continue.

Such a delicate little thing, sensitively drawn as always.

Most casualties round here are 'three yard hedgehogs' so not much opportunity for post-mortem studies!

Mike

Ha - well spotted Paul, many thanks! It would have caused some confusion in years to come, I'm sure.
Three-yard hedgehogs Mike? Is that the type that's been converted from spikey balls into welcome mats by use of a vehicle?

Just been messing about with charcoal this morning.
On paper - 24"x20"

Attachments

• eiderdrawing8.jpg
    eiderdrawing8.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Wonderful technique. Not sure how you managed to get a mass of squiggles and lines into this stunning portrait of a drake eider. Great action and caught the moment superbly.
Steve

Now that catches a moment in a dramatic and original way without freezing it in the least little bit. Outstanding messing about.

Mike

I can't refuse a shag or two :)t:) and this is an attempt to keep the detail in the birds to a minimum. They are, after all, the loveliest shapes, so I'm trying to let that come through.
Also - curious that the charcoal-thing is being flagged up. My very first posts on this near-ancient thread were in that very medium (crap drawings, though).

Attachments

• shags.jpg
    shags.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 84
Hi Tim,

Lovely charcoal work, both are excellent, though have a preference for the Eider personally due to the sense of energy in the piece. Great to see these, love black and white work an as regards charcoal I like the medium enormously and intrigued to see how others use it. (I am much more of a smudger and often go back in with white chalk to add highlights.) The cleaner lines here are great though and add a great deal of freshness and energy, thanks for posting....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back