• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (5 Viewers)

Hell's teeth, is it really 40 years since Kes though? We went to see it - unusually it was premiered in Leeds before London. At that age, it moved me more than any film had done before, because it showed real people with the same sort of accents, living in the same sort of area as me.

Later I read more of Hines, and I think I preferred the gamekeeper - an equally unsentimental but very accurate portrayal of life on a shooting estate. I would recommend it.

Hell's teeth, is it really 40 years since Kes though? We went to see it - unusually it was premiered in Leeds before London. At that age, it moved me more than any film had done before, because it showed real people with the same sort of accents, living in the same sort of area as me.

Later I read more of Hines, and I think I preferred the gamekeeper - an equally unsentimental but very accurate portrayal of life on a shooting estate. I would recommend it.
The Blinder was a personal favourite, Mike - being a budding footie star, and all that . . .
Oh - and there was never any trouble with the girls at school, but that's another story . . . ;)

I loved Kes - got the book and the DVD, though she's really let herself go since the film looking at that picture!

I loved Kes - got the book and the DVD, though she's really let herself go since the film looking at that picture!
I seem to recall that in the film the bird does a sex-change at one point, from female when alive to male once dead - but that could be my old memory. Anyu chance you could check the dvd Nick?

I seem to recall that in the film the bird does a sex-change at one point, from female when alive to male once dead - but that could be my old memory. Anyu chance you could check the dvd Nick?

I seem to recall that being the case, I shall do some detective work! Pretty sure the age of the bird is never consistent.

Most of the scenes - including the dead bird are of a (young ?) female, there is a young male in the flight scene where 'she' first flies to his hand outdoors.

I've seen that film so many times, that i could star in it...It was so much like the way we lived, and the teachers were the same ..they thought that you would learn a lot better with a karate chop to the throat :-O

yep, loved the film as well, made me think at an early age that Id rather be outside and enjoying the open spaces, than locked up in a class room reciting Times tables......

Most of the scenes - including the dead bird are of a (young ?) female, there is a young male in the flight scene where 'she' first flies to his hand outdoors.
That's the one Nick. Amazing to think the actual taking of the young kes from Tankersley Old Hall was real and formed part of the film!

With no apologies - this article is from my home parish newsletter 'Tankersley' - the film was mainly based there and in Hoyland Common, The author Barry Hines was my elder brother's form master at Kirk Balk school, the school where I met my future wife and mother to our children.
http://tankersleypc.org/features/52-magazine/407-kes-at-40.html

This is one of those films that I've heard about for many, many years. But I never investigated it or had the slightest idea what it was about. Now I'll make sure to see it next times it makes an appearance!

Thanks Tim,

We get TCM here and I see that the trailer is from them. So hopefully they'll reshow it soon and we can see it here. Looks very enjoyable, though it also looks like Billy didn't have the easiest time at school.

My school days were not quite that bad but I think anyone who doesn't fit in always has a bit of a hard time. I remember always going off to have my lunch at the woods across the street rather than in the classroom like everyone else. Who knows what people thought? But at least no one stopped me. I guess even then I just liked the outdoors and felt more comfortable in it.

Just received your exhibition catalogue in the post - awesome! - totally awesome! It's time you were publishing your sketchbooks - they really transport the viewer to the place. I've been soaking up the atmosphere for the past hour!

Many thanks,
Keith.

aha..catalogue in the post this morning. If what sets an individual work apart is the nature and quality of the artists response to the bird, place, moment then all the more so when it comes to a collection like this. Each pic gathers strength from the previous and next. But an especially big shout for the showery shrike and shadowy shag.

Catalogue received, well worth the wait.....All I have to do now, is get somewhere near that bar, anyway a subject well covered...

Thanks so much for the supportive words guys - really appreciate it. My first attempt at self-publishing so I'm naturally fairly nervous about the results. As usual with anything I do, I'd have done many things differently, if given a second chance (and about six times the budget ;) ).
But many thanks - seriously.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back