• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Good' Friday:Kingfishers, Willow Warblers and Skylarks (1 Viewer)

Fozzybear

Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
'Good' Friday: Kingfishers, Willow Warblers and Skylarks

Pretty much copied from my blog, apologies if it's a bit wordy!

Good Friday was a very appropriate name for the day and I had a rather enjoyable walk! The day started warm with patchy sunshine and so I took my usual Manor Farm/River Chelmer walk into Chelmsford. At the new reservoir I could see a number of Tufted Ducks, some Canada Geese, Coots, Mallards, two Greylag Geese (first time I've seen those here) and a pair of Great Crested Grebes - which I haven't seen for a long time so they were most welcome!

Walking on along the track to the smaller old reservoir next to the farm buildings I could hear Skylarks overhead and as I followed the path around the edge of the reservoir I saw a Cormorant circling low overhead, losing it behind the trees as it headed westwards. Pausing where the path turns away from the water's edge I saw a Kingfisher dart across and as I stood hoping for another glimpse a call behind took my attention and I turned to find a Willow Warbler in a bush nearby, the first I've seen this year.

On along the path, a Pheasant calling off to the north and the trees full of Wrens, Great Tits and Blue Tits, I came to the cottages at the end of Sandford Mill Road. Exploring here a little I could hear Chiffchaffs and Chaffinches in the willows but could spot neither (my hearing and observation skills being pretty poor I often struggle to spot small birds in trees or pin down where their calls are coming from). On across the river I could hear another Chiffchaff but this time, yes!, I managed to spot the little thing high in a willow, fluttering about and pecking at the small twigs. Just past here I paused at a little clearing where sometimes rabbits can be seen. No rabbits today but high above a Sparrowhawk circled and disappeared with a lazy flap of it's wings.

Turning left past Sandford Mill I flushed a Blackbird from a tree where it was taking berries from the ivy, also scaring to the air a Mistle Thrush that flew to the river and perched in a willow there, always a good bird to see. Over the bridge and on along the river's edge with the sun's warmth gaining strength, Dunnocks singing from the trees, Moorhens on the water and a Pheasant calling from the trees in the distance. On along the towpath, butterflies and insects buzzing around me, a Magpie keeping station on the path ahead and the calls of Green Woodpeckers heard now and again.

As I passed a couple with their dog I spotted a Jay flying east, then from across the river some small birds flew past me and into a bramble patch, then a glimpse and, yes - Reed Buntings! Three males, just in view for a few seconds but unmistakable, lovely little birds and great to see here. A little further on a Skylark in the distance, snatches of song heard on the breeze and then nearby a Green Woodpecker yaffling. Watching the grass of the horse paddocks I spotted him, a low flapping flight across the grass and then down onto a fence, quickly hopping to cling to a vertical post - the preferred perch for these lovely green and red birds. A pause, a look around followed by a circling of the post and a climb to the top. Then another low flight away out of sight.

At Barnes Mill I sat at the lock for a moment then I walked on along the river, a Great Spotted Woodpecker tapping at a tree behind the mill. From there an uneventful stroll across the Baddow Meads into Chelmsford and back to the busy modern world.

A good walk - I feel much better for it!

Attachments

• P1020466 LR BF.jpg
    P1020466 LR BF.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 67
Sounds like a great walk, I'm so envious of everyone who gets to see Kingfishers... here they're rare and really difficult to see. Lovely little birds! :)

Thanks Enji - getting to see Kingfishers occasionally has been a great source of pleasure, it's always a bit magical when you see that little turquoise blur just above the water! Chelmsford seems a pretty good place to see them as in the last year I've had quite a lot of sightings here and I don't go to the right places 'that' often, so they must be showing themselves pretty regularly here. I've even seen them right in the centre of town, and in the heart of Ipswich too - they're regularly seen along the river there by my brother, fishing alongside the Little Grebes.

Edit: have attached a pic of the Kingfisher I saw over Christmas on the park lake right in the middle of town here.

Attachments

• kingfisher.jpg
    kingfisher.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Was out at Manor Farm and along the river again on Friday:

Last week was unseasonably warm and sunny for April so on Friday lunchtime I took a roundabout walk into Chelmsford via my usual Manor Farm route, thinking that if my bad ankle (still a little weak after a recent sprain) held up I might venture out to Little Baddow instead of the town. I decided not to push it and took the shorter walk but that was a good decision, both from a wildlife perspective and also because I'd forgotten my hat and the sunburn I picked up would have been rather worse had I lengthened the walk!

It was very quiet as I walked the track around Manor Farm, very few Swans out on the west field and only one or two brief snatches of Skylark song heard, but the Great Crested Grebe was looking particularly fine and eight Greylag Geese had joined the small number of Tufted Ducks on the water. The wind was blustery and the sky rather cloudy as I walked towards the smaller reservoir but I could see a Whitethroat up on the wires ahead and took a few photographs as it sung there, before dropping into the cover of the reeds in the nearby ditch. As I approached I could hear it singing still and seaching with my binoculars I could see it moving around in the undergrowth, moving off to the north along the ditch. As I followed it the bird flew off to a bush further along, then off into the cover of the crops in the next field. I could see a male Reed Bunting perched in the bush so I slowly approached, moving carefully to try to avoid spooking him, pausing to take a few shots as I got nearer. Then the bunting flew off into the stems in the bordering field, so I retraced my steps and walked on.

The usual Chiffchaffs, Wrens, Great Tits, Blue Tits and Chaffinches were to be seen and heard around the smaller reservoir, Orange Tip butterflies fluttering around. At the path to the river I watched a pair of Robins, one resting on a post with a caterpillar in it's beak before flitting away into the willows. On the north side of the river I followed a rough beaten track through the nettles and discovered a World War 2 pillbox I'd not known was here, one of many such fortifications in the area but now seemingly a place frequented by the local youngsters. I picked my way back to the main path and then up to Sandford lock, sitting here for a minute in the sunshine then walking west along the river.

Whitethroats were singing from the trees and bushes as I ambled along the towpath and I heard one calling, a very strange sound that I didn't recognise and spent some time trying to spot the bird hidden in some dense vegetation, but fortunately it put me out of my misery by flying up to a clear perch. One Whitethroat singing from a bush flew up into a willow as I passed, hopping around and singing in the branches. I took some distant and rather obscured photographs before it flew off into some low brambles, leaving me resigned to those being the best shots I'd get... but then it flew into another willow and posed boldly on a hanging branch not ten metres from where I stood, so I quickly fired off a number of shots, some of which (though the bird was small in the frame with my 300mm lens) came out rather well - hurrah!

I stopped by the horse paddocks at Barnes Mill to watch the horses grazing there and then walked on past the mill and over the inlet channel to the Baddow Meads, a large floodplain used for grazing. A large herd of horses had been turned out onto the Meads and were charging about, rushing towards me as I left the style behind - which alarmed me somewhat! They had a foal amongst them so I was concerned they may be rather protective and see me as a threat, and indeed the large males did stand between me and the others so I backed off towards the style again and they drifted off towards the edge of the meadow and began to feed. I waited a moment and as they seemed to have lost interest in me I walked on across the Meads, casting a glance back every now and then. I'm sure I was fine with them, I just get a little nervous around large animals in situations like that. It was worth pressing on though as when I neared the river I saw a Common Tern flying along above the river, every so often banking over hard and diving into the river with a loud 'plop!' before climbing back up to continue on it's way downstream. I've seen these birds a number of times on the river in town and at Central Park but not for a while, so was really very pleased to see this one.

That was the last of the entertainment for the walk, I crossed under the road bridge that leads from the Army and Navy roundabout to Chelmer Village and on into town for some shopping and a bus ride home.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back