• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New blog idea (1 Viewer)

Maffong

I've had this idea for a new blog on blogspot that I'd like to call something like "Enigmatic species" with as many authors as possible
The idea consists in telling the stories of enigmatic (bird) species and subspecies that are mostly unknown to the world, be it because of their very secretive behaviour, because their range/life traits are unknown or because they are presumed extinct or whatever.
Some examples I was thinking about would be e.g. in no particular order
Andalusian Hemipode
Helmeted Guineafowl ssp sabyi
Bachman's Warbler
Nechisar Nightjar
Turquoise-throated Puffleg
White-eyed River-Martin
Saola (mammal)

I would like to include information on taxonomy, range, identification features, threats/extinction, probability of survival and such

I'd like to know,
A) what you think of that idea,
B) if you have a better and more appealing idea for the blog name,
C) if anybody would like to help me write posts
D) suggestions for (sub)species to be included (I'll attach a file where I'll add your suggestions)

Greets
Maffong

I've had this idea for a new blog on blogspot that I'd like to call something like "Enigmatic species" with as many authors as possible
The idea consists in telling the stories of enigmatic (bird) species and subspecies that are mostly unknown to the world, be it because of their very secretive behaviour, because their range/life traits are unknown or because they are presumed extinct or whatever.
Some examples I was thinking about would be e.g. in no particular order
Andalusian Hemipode
Helmeted Guineafowl ssp sabyi
Bachman's Warbler
Nechisar Nightjar
Turquoise-throated Puffleg
White-eyed River-Martin
Saola (mammal)

I would like to include information on taxonomy, range, identification features, threats/extinction, probability of survival and such

I'd like to know,
A) what you think of that idea,
B) if you have a better and more appealing idea for the blog name,
C) if anybody would like to help me write posts
D) suggestions for (sub)species to be included (I'll attach a file where I'll add your suggestions)

Greets
Maffong

"Enigmatica Zoologica"

David

This thread didn't receive much attention so far, but now I've started my blog and maybe thus get you a bit more interested.
The first bird I described has many names, but still lacks an official description. It's called San Pedro Tanager, Manu Road Tanager or even Kill Bill Tanager. Have a look why...
www.faunaenigmatica.blogspot.com

Maffong

This thread didn't receive much attention so far, but now I've started my blog and maybe thus get you a bit more interested.
The first bird I described has many names, but still lacks an official description. It's called San Pedro Tanager, Manu Road Tanager or even Kill Bill Tanager. Have a look why...
www.faunaenigmatica.blogspot.com Maffong

There are also species that remain enigmatic because of their relative isolation, particularly if they are thinly widespread, such as Groundpecker [Hume’s Ground-Jay, or Ground-Tit] Pseudopodoces humilis (or Parus humilis), and also the true Podoces genus. Then there are birds that live at high altitude - the Snowcock genus Tetraogallus. Lastly, the relict species such as Noisy Scrub-bird Atrichornis clamosus of southernmost Western Australia.

Another enigmatic aspect of bird taxonomy is the relatedness of taxa, much being learnt from molecular techniques, which increasingly offer explanations of the complexity of evolution. In a way, it's like an onion - every layer peeled of reveals another layer! An apposite comparison might be expressed rather like Churchill's view of 1930s Russia: "It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key.";)
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back