• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early and late dates... (1 Viewer)

KenM

During the 70's and 80's one of my holy grails was to find a March Swallow, thus several times a week I would visit the KGV group of reservoirs during the last week of March (NE London), scanning the sky and banks...but alas to no avail. Yesterday 26th March, myself and two colleagues arrived on site and some 800m distant whizzing round the North basin circa 3-4 hirundines....of which, not one, but two were Swallows!! a high fives all round ensued. A great start to the day, however a check on BF by the BTO this am, reveals that some 10+ species of Summer migrants (compared to the '60's) are arriving c10 days earlier as a probable result of climate change, and also that...some species are getting off an extra brood, as they are extending their Summer stay, am hoping this might extend to those species that are in decline, hopefully time will tell.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back