• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help in identifying my friend's Owl (1 Viewer)

--santi--

Hi guys, I'm santi from the Philippines. I would like to ask for your help in identifying my friend's owl. We are concerned that it might be an endangered specie. (If it is, we will surrender it to our local wildlife authority)

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• owl1.jpg
    owl1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 83
  • owl2.jpg
    owl2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 72
  • owl3.jpg
    owl3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 73
  • owl4.jpg
    owl4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 73
I think you should take it to your local wildlife authority as soon as you can! I do not know what the laws concerning the keeping of wildfowl are in the Philippines, but here in the United States it is illegal.

I believe that it is a Philippine Scops Owl, Otus megalotis.

I think you should take it to your local wildlife authority as soon as you can! I do not know what the laws concerning the keeping of wildfowl are in the Philippines, but here in the United States it is illegal.

I believe that it is a Philippine Scops Owl, Otus megalotis.

Thanks for the quick reply. We're planning to bring it to the wildlife center soon.

I have search it in google, http://www.owlpages.com/image.php?image=species-Otus-megalotis-1

The body/feather features are similar but the eyes are different from my attached pictures to the one in Manila Zoo (Link above)

All the photos have "red eye", a common problem with flash photography. The effect is too pronounced on the zoo photos to tell what the original eye color was. Your friend's owl--see in particular photo 1--appears to be yellow-eyed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back