Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Double Crested Cormorant in Forest City

Old Sunday 13th March 2016, 01:45   #1
David in NC

Double Crested Cormorant in Forest City

My wife and I visited the campus of Isothermal Community College for about an hour today. There are always ducks/geese/waterbirds on the large pond there but today we also noted a double crested cormorant swimming (and diving) by itself. We both observed it for quite some time and both verified it in field guides.

Also noted were Canadians, Muscovy Ducks, some black gull-like birds (?) and a Great Blue Heron. Actually got to see the heron take a fish and eat it.
Old Tuesday 15th March 2016, 11:57   #2
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in NC View Post
My wife and I visited the campus of Isothermal Community College for about an hour today. There are always ducks/geese/waterbirds on the large pond there but today we also noted a double crested cormorant swimming (and diving) by itself. We both observed it for quite some time and both verified it in field guides.

Also noted were Canadians, Muscovy Ducks, some black gull-like birds (?) and a Great Blue Heron. Actually got to see the heron take a fish and eat it.
Any plumage specifics for the Canadians?

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th March 2016, 13:56   #3
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Yeah - Tilley hats, down vests, khaki pants? May have been specimens of Homo canadensis aviphilus, the Northern Birdwatcher. I understand they commonly winter in S.C. and Florida, but may well be passing through your state on migration by now.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th March 2016, 15:37   #4
David in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
Yeah - Tilley hats, down vests, khaki pants? May have been specimens of Homo canadensis aviphilus, the Northern Birdwatcher. I understand they commonly winter in S.C. and Florida, but may well be passing through your state on migration by now.

Now THAT was funny!

Ironically, I HAVE a couple of Tilleys (but don't wear any hat for the most part) but almost always am wearing my khaki vest and khaki cargo pants! This is not just birding either-that's my daily wear. I have four identical lightweight khaki vests. Makes a good "concealment" garment and I love all the pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
I have to admit that since Canadians (GEESE) are everywhere I have been in the past week (even a marshy pond nearby) I didn't spend any time even looking at those.
Old Tuesday 15th March 2016, 18:44   #5
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

Canadians are people; the geese are "Canadas." (like Snows, Greylags, White-fronteds, etc.)

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: