• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turnstone with metal ring (1 Viewer)

MTem

Just been going through some of today's photos and one turnstone that came really close I now see has a metal ring on its right tarsus.

I got enough photos of enough quality to read at least the last 5 digits of the ring number. Indeed that might be the full number as I cannot see any sign of a number before the first one, but I never got a photo of the full circumference.

So the best I can get is from top to bottom:

79072 (I can see that 2 is the last digit, but cannot be sure there isn't at least one more before the first 7)
EUM(or N)B38
row of smaller letters of which only AMR is readable.

Ferring Beach, West Sussex, S. England. 20 October 2014.

Any advice on how to report this? Is there any convention on the number of digits?….. and do I have them all! Is there enough info to be of use do you think?

Mick

Mick,

Are you able to post the pics? It isn't a BTO ring, which are now placed above the joint although older rings could be on the tarsus. As the address is below the number, it will be from one of the continental schemes. There is probably enough information in your post for someone to work out which. Most schemes use either 7 or 8 character serials, so you are lacking the first 2 or 3. It is not reportable at this stage, but if someone can work out which scheme it is, they may well be able to track it down if you send it in on www.ring.ac

Phil

These are the photos I've gleaned the info from. They are a bit clearer in the processed RAW image, but you have to reduce the file size to post and a little resolution seems to get lost along the way. I'm new to image processing so there might be other tricks I could use. I am using Canon DPP.

I have already reported it via the route you give and have passed the images on the Mark Grantham at the BTO. He says it's not one of theirs, so as you say likely a European scheme.

Any other thoughts or advice?

Attachments

• IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    957.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    894.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    802.9 KB · Views: 128
Mark Grantham should be along within the day to weigh in on this thread. I reckon it's traceable. Ringed on the tarsus I notice, rather than the tibia like some schemes do, that might help figure out whose it is.

Mick,

It is just possible that the photos show more than one bird with a ring, but even allowing for this I can't match the address to any of the continental schemes' rings that I am familiar with, although Mark may well be able to help. The most likely places for a Turnstone to be ringed are covered by the Canadian and Danish schemes (Arctic N America, Greenland, the Faeroes) and it doesn't seem to be one of those. Nor does it look (to me) like any of the Scandinavian, Baltic, near continental or even African schemes addresses...

Turnstones are quite site faithful in winter, so there is a chance that it might stick around where you first saw it. If so and you have the time, some more pics could help!

Phil

It is just possible that the photos show more than one bird with a ring

Nope, all the same bird. The three photos are from 5 I took one after the other of a bird just 5m away. The other two don't show the ring fully as the bird had its feet in seaweed.

Ferring is 30 miles away so not possible to just 'pop back', but I go there regularly and always look for ringed birds, mainly gulls to be fair but this chap just came so close it was begging to have its photo taken!

Mick

After a long gap, I've had another go at trying to track this ring down.
At first I could not match the address with a ringing scheme, but I
now think that the upper line may read (MUS)EUM BOX (5)32(0) with
(REYK)JAVI(K) below. If Islandic, it should have 7 (rather than 8)
digits so only the first 2 letters are missing.

I've asked the Icelandic Ringing Centre if they can confirm it is one
of theirs and whether they can work out which individual it is.

Phil

Quick response from the Icelandic Ringing Centre. It is one of theirs, details as below:

Ring no. Reykjavík 779072
Species Turnstone Arenaria interpres
Sex Unknown ( - )
Age Full-grown (3. yr+)
Ringing date 16.05.2014
Ringing place
Kollafjörður, Strand.
Fannakrókur
Coordinates 65°35´00´´ N 21°27´00´´V
------------------------------------------
Recovery date 20.10.2014
Recovery place
Ferring Beach, West Sussex, UK
Coordinates 50°48´00´´ N 0°27´00´´ V
Recovery details Sight record, metal ring read
Remarks Part of the ring (79072) read from several pictures
Distance 2031 km Direction 134° Duration 157 d

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back