• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

A "Black Helicopter" going low and slow over Douglas County, Kansas. Always enough to set off the conspiracy crowd. Actually it was the Kansas National Guard taking the Governor on a site seeing tour of the area just raked by a major tornado.

Attachments

• NT4A0643.jpg
    NT4A0643.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 11
I regularly think that the "Osprey" would make a fine aircraft to make the Penzance (or Land’s End) to Scilly run, with its larger passenger accommodation and vertical take off.

I regularly think that the "Osprey" would make a fine aircraft to make the Penzance (or Land’s End) to Scilly run, with its larger passenger accommodation and vertical take off.

It's quick as well, it would show a clean pair of heels to an Islander or a Twin Otter effortlessly - and you could land on the beach of the right island, too! :t:

John

Out in the west of Scotland we occasionally see C-130 Hercules flying in pairs at very, very low altitude, well below hilltops and following the line of the glen or coast. For some reason you don't get much of an advance warning from engine noise, they suddenly appear and very soon disappear behind the terrain. They are usually in normal cammo colours but last year the pair we saw in October had one in desert cammo.

Lee

For some reason you don't get much of an advance warning from engine noise, they suddenly appear and very soon disappear.

Lee

A high percentage now have the latest quieter engines coupled with different profile and higher number of rotor blades to increase efficiency whilst reducing "air chopping" especially amongst the Special Ops. and Search and Rescue units. As you said much quieter when they come over.

No replies to my request Andy, sorry. I'm sure if you heard the sound of a Merlin or Griffin engine this morning it was most likely from one of the many Spitfires flying this week.

Pat

No replies to my request Andy, sorry. I'm sure if you heard the sound of a Merlin or Griffin engine this morning it was most likely from one of the many Spitfires flying this week.

Pat

Thanks Pat,
an umistakable sound to our gen and you mean Griffon as I'm sure you know.

Last edited:
Caught over Johnson County, Kansas on June 1st. Deployed for landing at New Century Airport, Gardner, KS. Appropriately enough originally Olathe Naval Air Station.

Attachments

• NT4A0921.jpg
    NT4A0921.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 15
Initial training on the Osprey did indeed have a few fatal incidents including Marines but this appears to be in the past and the few problems now appear to be mechanically-related and not human error. The USMC relationship with the Harrier had horrendous statistics on coincidentally the same tilting power source but whilst we have sold them to all and sundry, scrapping ours in the process, the Marines still have theirs:t:

Instead we build aircraft carriers without any jets and end up buying an overweight F for Fattie 35 from guess who:-O

Laurie:t:

Dunsfold yesterday - last Wings and Wheels, as the airfield is going for housing, just like everywhere else. The damn politicians haven't an idea in their heads except growth fuelled by more and more people, its ludicrous.

Anyway, in the meantime, D-Day striped (unlike any current RAF aircraft but like everyone else's air forces for the commemoration last week, dunno why our lot are so completely clueless and useless these days unless they really are the Royal Accountant Force) P51D Mustang landing at Dunsfold Wings and Wheels with a gusty crosswind and having a bit of a moment that instant reactions and top skills ensured ended happily. Give that man a beer.

John

Attachments

• Dunsfold Mustang Landing (3).JPG
    Dunsfold Mustang Landing (3).JPG
    247 KB · Views: 26
  • Dunsfold Mustang Landing (4).JPG
    Dunsfold Mustang Landing (4).JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back