• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jelly Fungus (1 Viewer)

Lorne

A couple of years ago when I started to photograph fungi I thought the simple thing would be to just post all the pics on this forum! but the truth is that we should at the very least try to ID them ourselves. Since then I have got a few books inc. Phillips and we have worked hard to ID nearly everything we find. Today we were walking through dogsh*t ally at Lodmoor looking for the Grey Fal, when Sheila realized that most of the stuff on the ground was green! We have tried to ID it but no luck so does anyone have any idea? it appears to be a jelly type?
Regards Lorne

Attachments

• D-S-Fungus_opt.jpg
    D-S-Fungus_opt.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 68
It's not a fungus. There was an article some while ago in Field Mycology as this stuff appeared all over the place one year, and lots of people did not know what to make of it. I have seen it a few times. Anyway, I think it is an algae. I cannot recall what species they suggested. It seems to appear in damp areas. Maybe a Google of algae and a few other words will get you a hit!

Hi Leif, thanks for that, I did send the photo to a friend who is suggesting Bladderwort or Liverwort as a possibility so I will need to start looking outside of the fungi box then.
Lorne

Hi Leif, thanks for that, I did send the photo to a friend who is suggesting Bladderwort or Liverwort as a possibility so I will need to start looking outside of the fungi box then.
Lorne

I did a Google and turned up Nostoc, which is more commonly seen as one of the partners in some 'species' of Lichen. (I use the term 'species' loosely here given that it is a pairing of a fungus and an algae.) Apparently Nostoc is a cyanobacteria. If you do like me an Google Nostoc, you will learn that some species are cultivated and eaten in parts of Asia, and that it has no nutritional value, and might even be poisonous.

I have done the Google on Nostoc, and it sounds pretty wierd, the descriptions mostly seem like strings of cells. This from Wikepedia;
"When on the ground, a Nostoc colony is ordinarily not seen; but after rain it swells up into a conspicuous jellylike mass, which was once thought to have fallen from the sky, whence the popular names, fallen star and star jelly.
It is also called witches' butter (not to be confused with the fungus Tremella
mesenterica)
There is also a very interesting description here;
http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-nos1.htm
Also when the world runs out of petrol this algae may be our savior;
"Nostoc Bacteria May Produce Hydrogen for Vehicles"!!
Lorne

I can't add any information but I encountered it last week in Dumfries and Galloway. It was on a wet and shady path and I assumed it must be some sort of algae. It completely covered the path where it occurred making walking quite hazardous. You have turned up some interesting information on it in this thread.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back