• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American robin in the UK? (1 Viewer)

digi-birder said:
Size-wise it sounds like American Robin. I guess we'll never know, unless it turns up somewhere.

Size-wise it sounds like brambling (size of a chaffinch!!).

0beron said:
.............One thing that does make me a little dubious is that the report this morning said that American robins are about the size of a blackbird, whereas ours is more like the size of a chaffinch........

But this was why I initially suggested Brambling

Well, it's contradictory, then. Which is correct? Is it "much larger than any other Robin" or is it the "size of a Chaffinch"? A Chaffinch is not much larger than a Robin, in anyone's language.

Another thing that struck me, was the fact that an American Robin is so unlike a European Robin, that an inexperienced person is more likely to report a "funny looking thrush" than a Robin?

digi-birder said:
Well, it's contradictory, then. Which is correct? Is it "much larger than any other Robin" or is it the "size of a Chaffinch"? A Chaffinch is not much larger than a Robin, in anyone's language.

I think it's a matter of trying to fit a brambling up as an american robin, cause that's what i want it to be ;-)

jeff said:
I think it's a matter of trying to fit a brambling up as an american robin, cause that's what i want it to be ;-)

Well, I suppose with a bit of imagination, not to mention a tincture or two..... ;)

digi-birder said:
Well, I suppose with a bit of imagination, not to mention a tincture or two..... ;)

This is a bit like the Elvis effect. A rare bird hits the national press and all of a sudden everyones had them in the garden. We had a local example a few years ago when a farmer reported a Great Bustard it hit the local rag and all of a sudden there were reports of flocks of them everywhere. American Robin looks nothing like a proper (European) Robin. If you asked a 100 non-birders/people with a passing interest I'm sure that 90% of answers (excluding "well it's a bird innit") would say funny looking Blackbird/Thrush none would say funny looking Robin.
It's called a Robin because homesick emigrants longing for blighty seized on the presence of a red breast. American Robin bears as much resemblance to Robin as American Comedy does to Comedy.
But for goodness sake don't divulge the location in Bedfordshire or there'll be discarded tuna cans with jagged edges all over the place!

I was only going on the initial description of the size of it. Having then read the first post again and seen the other size description, it's obvious that it's never going to be identified on that basis.

Even the example Robin photo posted by 0beron is misleading, as there is no way of showing the size of the bird, unless you know the size of American Robin, so I suppose it could be mistaken for a Brambling, to the uninitiated.

None of us will ever know.

digi-birder said:
I was only going on the initial description of the size of it. Having then read the first post again and seen the other size description, it's obvious that it's never going to be identified on that basis.

Even the example Robin photo posted by 0beron is misleading, as there is no way of showing the size of the bird, unless you know the size of American Robin, so I suppose it could be mistaken for a Brambling, to the uninitiated.

None of us will ever know.

Seriously , I would be surprised if anyone who hadn't seen an American Robin or knew what one looked like would link it with Robin. Apologies to our American friends , the comment about comedy was a personal viewpoint. I appreciate some Brits enjoy your shows.
Serious about not divulging the address though. No one who respects their privacy, property, and relations with their neighbours would want a twitch on their premises (and I include myself as one of the undesirables who might turn up!). There are so many stories too of broken fences and bad parking and set-tos with residents as well as actions that harm the birds like chucking a stone into a bush, tin cans (an example I read only recently and freshest in my mind although obviously the AR won't take tuna!), flushing exhausted birds etc.

Mike Cross said:
Seriously , I would be surprised if anyone who hadn't seen an American Robin or knew what one looked like would link it with Robin.

I don't know how you can assume that, Mike. If you're new to birding and you see a photo in a paper or on the web of American Robin without ever having seen one in the flesh, all you may notice is the red breast and, not knowing the precise size of the bird (and so be unable to say it's a strange thrush), it could quite easily be mistaken for something the size of a Robin or a Brambling that you have seen briefly in your garden. If you get my drift!!

Let's put it another way, i'm a novice birder (that's me by the way), i see a bird in my garden i'd not seen before, it had an orange breast, black head with white eyering, not too sure what it is, then read about the American Robin in the press with nice photo (black head, white eyering, orange breast), it's a picture so i dont know the size of the bird, but the colour match my bird.

Bingo - American Robin in my garden what a turn up for the books :) Only trouble is it's the size of a chaffinch :-(

It took me ages to find a jack snipe once, I looked at the pictures, they looked pretty similar, would i ever spot it, when i eventually did see it, it was a tiny clockwork bird that was nothing like the common snipe, but i'd only seen a picture and the pictures were the same size and looked similar :)

digi-birder said:
I don't know how you can assume that, Mike. If you're new to birding and you see a photo in a paper or on the web of American Robin without ever having seen one in the flesh, all you may notice is the red breast and, not knowing the precise size of the bird (and so be unable to say it's a strange thrush), it could quite easily be mistaken for something the size of a Robin or a Brambling that you have seen briefly in your garden. If you get my drift!!

On paper I agree you can't tell the size. But I would be extremely surprised if someone seeing it in the flesh would desribe it as a funny Robin given the size difference, bill shape, head shape, the extent of the red "breast", jizz etc.

Mike Cross said:
On paper I agree you can't tell the size. But I would be extremely surprised if someone seeing it in the flesh would desribe it as a funny Robin given the size difference, bill shape, head shape, the extent of the red "breast", jizz etc.

That's why the concensus is now that it's a Brambling!!

We're forgetting this:
0beron said:
Thanks for the reply, Simon. But are bramblings tame? This bird practically eats out of the hand, he is so brazen.

Which makes me think it's an aberrant European Robin

Mike Cross said:

Mike,

But does a novice birder like myself take in all these points?
I'd say not, colour and size are as good as it get's in the early stages. I've now been swayed by what i've read in the paper, the robin matches my colours, the picture had no size, jizz etc, so could still be my bird, I now think my bird is a robin, so i'll call it a strange robin, cause it's not like the little critter i've seen before nicking worms as i've been turning the soil over and before long my little brambling has become a mega american robin.
What a garden tick, i'll tell a few friends ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back