• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feels good to share! (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

It's fun to share!
Without trying to blow my own trumpet, if you take photo's of your wildlife days out, it's brilliant to know that some of them are useful to wildlife groups and educational bodies.
I keep a lot of mine on flickr as 'free for use' for wildlife groups and educational bodies, and it's surprising just how many requests you get,from all over the world, for some of your photo's to be published,either in organisations magazines and newsletters, schools and colleges around the globe and even scientists for publishing in some of their scientific papers.
It's not always the photo's that you expect either, so absolutely anything is worth sharing in this way.
A few examples of my photo's that have been published are:
Female Marsh Harrier - now on the visitor centre notice board of two Bird reserves.
Male Marsh Harrier - Information/entrance board at two wildlife trust reserves.
Conehead Cricket - Wildlife trust quarterly magazine (if you are a member of that trust, and get the magazine, look in the September 2010 issue, the Nature's Calendar feature, and you may spot it! :-O)
European Amber Snail - New Scientific publication about European Gastropod's, published in three languages.
Marsh Harrier and Dragonfly video's - used by students at an inner city comprehensive to make a 'virtual tour' of one of their local reserves.
Marsh Harrier Mayfly Catching - Information, and video stills used by two Raptor Ecology Groups, Scotland and the Netherlands in their Bird of Prey 'reports and yearbooks'.
Red Kite photo's and information - to be published in the revised/upadated Red Kite Monograph.
It certainly gives you the 'feel good factor' when you know that you are helping promote learning and awareness with regard to our fantastic wildlife. Especially within the younger generation,our future!
I recommend anybody to share their stuff, you never know what is useful and needed by these organisations. More so due to their,often,very limited, budgets.

Last edited:
Interesting you should mention this. Something similar has been spurring me on to take photos.

The National Trust property where I volunteer is hoping to set up a birdwatching area for children in part of the grounds. I was asked if I had any photos of common birds and I realised that I didn't.

I'm going to let them have some. free of charge. If it gets more people interested in birds, that will be brilliant.

Pat

Super stuff Pat!
Go for it! It's surprising just how you can contribute,albeit in a small way, but it all counts!
In this selfsih world we live in,too many people are out for gain, and I think that has had an effect on the amount of free matarial available to wildlife trusts.

I think that sharing is great and I would have loved to join in about 40 yrs ago but, it is

way above my capabilities now.I can't even master posting photo's taken with my "ancient" S.L.R.'s They were not auto focus but they were quick on the trigger for fast action pics.It seems to me that most of todays pics.are "stills"but far better quality but
I think that a manual focus gave a greater thrill when you got a good un.
Keep spreading the news but don't blow one of those flamin' football trumpets

maurice

Thankee Kindly Maurice!
I cut my bird photography teeth with an SLR! An ancient Zenit (remember them?!!) and a ,similarly Russian, 500mm tele lens that weighed a tonne!
Expensive old job too! Pay to develop all those rolls of film, with a less than 1% success rate!
I'm still at a less than 1% success rate, but it's much more economical now! delete delete delete etc etc! :-O

Good for you, Joe!

I was once contacted by a magazine who had seen a pic of Bristol of mine on Flickr, but I refused permission to use it as I felt they made enough money to offer me a tenner for it! :D

I agree that digital is brilliant in that you can edit photos so easily and I too get rid of an awful lot!

Good for you, Joe!

I was once contacted by a magazine who had seen a pic of Bristol of mine on Flickr, but I refused permission to use it as I felt they made enough money to offer me a tenner for it! :D

Exactly Kits! I reckon,given the value of our money these days, £50 is the minimum that should be offered by corporate magazines/newspapers etc. As you say, they are not short of a bob or two!

Good for you, Joe!

I agree that digital is brilliant in that you can edit photos so easily and I too get rid of an awful lot!

At least they did ask, Kits, I know of someone who was trying to become a proffessional photographer & someone just took one of his photo's to use, without asking him, now that is not on.:C

Digital is brilliant for ditching dreadful pics.:t:

Exactly Kits! I reckon,given the value of our money these days, £50 is the minimum that should be offered by corporate magazines/newspapers etc. As you say, they are not short of a bob or two!

I'm glad for you, Joe, that you have had photo's accepted for publication.
I would actually feel quite flattered if anyone wanted to 'steal' any of my photo's. Though to be paid for one would be very good.

I used two second hand RICOH KR10 super l.s.r's with numerous lenses ,multipliers and macro's.It was a great day when I got a s/hand motoriized winder adding more weight.
Out jn the "field",Iwas the happiest man around, One cam, for slides and tother for prints. Aaaaah.Heaven
My bin was full of rejects too.

maurice

Congratulations Joe: having seen the quality of your pics, it doesn't surprise me.

Well done to you also Pat. I think your reason for donating your pics is admirable.

Baz.

How lovely, Joe! Well done you on being so charitable and well done you with your ability to take such super images of which you selflessly share with others!:t:
More power to your elbow.:clap:

I agree with Baz that Pat also deserves a mention on her donating her pics to such a worthy venture! Well done, Pat!:t:

A few weeks ago I decided to help "UKmoths" with some of my pics. You can already see one of my pics with "The Geometrician" on the site and soon I'll have another one there with Cynaeda dentalis.

Thanks Baz and Pam!
It's about time that some of your super lepidotera photo's got used Cristian! Well done!
Val, thanks. It is flattering when your images find a use, but it's also a bit of a double edged sword, that sometimes leaves me with mixed feelings. A whole load of subtlety is required! Some of the organisations get very 'enthusiastic' with regards to requests and it can become time consuming to the point of becoming a chore! And that's not a good thing. It's mostly my own fault though,because all of my photo's are stored on a zillion assorted CD's with no catalogueing or order, so it takes a week to find one! :-O :-O

Last edited:
Takes me ages to 'find' a pic too, Joe. I have tried to catalogue them properly on PB, but in my p.c. they are a right jumble & on the external storage thingy, forget it.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back