Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Northern Ireland Local Patch

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.91 average.
Old Saturday 26th February 2005, 20:58   #51
Roger&out
Up Down

Hi,
got down to Myroe this morning
600+ Greylag
18 Whitefronted
70 Brent
16 Red-breasted Merganser
Teal
Mallard
6 Goldeneye (Males displaying to females)
200+ Lapwing
Curlew
Redshank
2 Greenshank
MERLIN
Usual crows, gills and passers with some Mippits singing.

Hope the Kildeer hangs around for a few days as it is likely to be next weekend before I can head down to Fermanagh.

Rgds Roger
Old Sunday 27th February 2005, 06:29   #52
DEREK CHARLES

Hello Roger,nice day out yesterday,did you get close to the Geese,600 sure is an impressive number.Are they birds which have wintered on Lough Swilly or further south?Merlin is a good find nowadays,i have only seen one all winter! Did you see it sitting?
All the best
Derek
ps,i have rung my server and they said they had problems before with your server but hoped to have everything sorted by tomorrow!
Old Sunday 27th February 2005, 18:20   #53
DEREK CHARLES

Hello everyone,well i started the day trying to photograph Waxwings in Whiteabbey,i had a bush staked out where they were feeding,when a lady with a labrador came over and started asking the usual questions! She then proceeded along with rover to go over to the bush to see them as she had no glasses with her! Labradors and Waxwings do not mix! It was so funny!
I then went round to see the Snow Buntings and Twite at Dargan and was rewarded with stunning views from the car.Only one male/imm male Snow Bunting present but it was the best views of Twite i have ever had.Two Skylarks and Meadow pipits made it a lovely morning.
All the best
Derek
ps,Norma in case your interested 12Iceland and 6 Glaucous Gulls in the area!
Old Sunday 27th February 2005, 19:02   #54
Roger&out
Up Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Charles
Hello Roger,nice day out yesterday,did you get close to the Geese,
Hi Derek,
Yes quite close about 50 yards from the nearest, they were in a field across the drainage ditch, and stretched away at an angle in a fairly thin line (about 15 deep). As to whether they are local or not, it is certainly the biggest total that I have seen this winter so I suspect that the locally wintering birds have been supplemented by others from further south.

As for the Merlin, it was a female and put up the Lapwings before settling for a couple of minutes on a fence post, giving me a really good view. Its the third time I've seen one in Myroe this autumn/winter.
Old Sunday 27th February 2005, 20:27   #55
Tully

Good Weekend

Well done on the Killdeer Derek. I got to Oxfrod Island and Belfast Lough where I had all the usual suspects
Oxford Island
Coot
Tufted Duck
Grey Heron
Cormorant
Golden Eye
G Crested Grebe
Pochard
Lapwing
G Black backed Gull
Belfast Lough
Some of above plus

Redshank
Black tailed Godwit
Curlew
Teal
Shelduck
Shoveler
Widgeon
Variety of Guls including 1 Iceland, shown to me by someone who knows

But the highlight for me was the Peregrine at Scrabo pic attached I hope

I got some nice pics of the Snow Bunting, Twite and Linnet last week.

Hope the attached pic is OK as it is straight out of the camera. My PC with PS software is in Hospital!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PeregrineFl.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	17407  

Its hard to soar with Eagles, when you're working with Turkeys...
Old Monday 28th February 2005, 09:15   #56
Roger&out
Up Down

Hi Tully,

excellent shot of the peregrine, have you thought of submitting it to the gallery; it would more than hold its own.

Rgds Roger
Old Monday 28th February 2005, 13:34   #57
nepp
Norma P; Northern Ireland

Oxford Island + Lurgan Park Lakes

Hi All
Didn't make it to the Foyle after all and instead went to find the ferruginous duck that has been reported back at Lurgan. However no sight of it. The single male smew was showing very nicely.

West of Oxford Island on the road to Ardmore we spotted a field full of swans and geese. Approx 400 greylag, 2 pink footed geese, 100+ whoopers and a single Bewick swan.

On the path to the Kinnego hide we found a heap of feathers and a mangled body. ...a water rail. I couldn't believe how tiny it was.

Norma

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th February 2005, 18:41   #58
DEREK CHARLES

Hello everyone! Tully great shots of the Peregrine.I think you should send it to [email protected] for inclusion in the monthly,Northern Ireland Bird Report!
All the best
Derek
Old Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 14:31   #59
nepp

Quote:
Hello everyone! Tully great shots of the Peregrine.I think you should send it to [email protected] for inclusion in the monthly,Northern Ireland Bird Report!
All the best
Derek
Hi Derek
Is the monthly report you mention available online?

Norma

Old Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 18:00   #60
DEREK CHARLES

Hello Norma,The Northern Ireland Birdwatchers Association{NIBA},do a monthly email report of both common and rare birds in Northern Ireland.They also produce a yearly report packed full of interesting articles,reports and photos.It costs only 10 to join.All birders are very welcome,whether you are a novice,expert or in between.It is a very freindly organisation and i really recommend that everyone should join.
You can contact George Gordon at [email protected]
for details.
Iwill email you a couple of reports Norma for you to have a look at,you need acrobat reader but if you have not got it you can download it easily.
All the best
Derek
Old Thursday 3rd March 2005, 08:33   #61
nepp

Derek thanks for the info re NIBA monthly email. I've started the process.

I was at the annual awards for photographers at NIOC last night. There were 3 categories...and Tully won his category for both individual photograph and portfolio!! Well done Tully. The pictures were really excellent and obviously required lots of patience and a good eye.
Your photo of the peregrine will be in next year's portfolio I'm sure.

Norma

Old Thursday 3rd March 2005, 21:30   #62
Tully

Thanks for the comments Norma and for the newsletters Derek. My PC is in hospital at present so access to the pics is a bit of a problem. I'll put them up when I get properly on line again
Cheers for now

Old Friday 4th March 2005, 17:08   #63
DEREK CHARLES

Well done Tully many congratulations on winning the competition! Well done indeed.

All the best

Derek
Old Friday 4th March 2005, 20:10   #64
Roger&out
Up Down

Quote:
Well done Tully many congratulations on winning the competition! Well done indeed.

All the best

Derek
Here here

Roger
Old Friday 4th March 2005, 20:34   #65
DEREK CHARLES

Hi Roger.Was up at Culmore today again and got really good views of the Kumliens Gull as well as 10Iceland and 3 Glaucous.My server is still not working properly but i will send you pics as soon as i am up and running.
All the best
Derek
Old Sunday 6th March 2005, 17:05   #66
DEREK CHARLES

Hello Everyone.I had a bit of a frustrateing couple of days.Yesterday i went for the Green Winged Teal at Larne.Despite it being seen on Friday once again i did not see it.I went to Carrick to look for the Ring Billed Gull but he was on his holidays too and i saw nothing out of the ordinary at Whitehouse.
I decided for a change to try the reservoirs at Stoneyford and Leathemstown but just Great Crested Grebes and Tufted Ducks.I finished the day looking for Geese around Antrim but couldn't find a sausage there either!
This morning i set off for Newcastle because of the calm conditions but the scoters where very far off shore but at least Murlough is a beautiful setting.
We went round to the boating lake to look for the first winter Ring Billed Gull but alas he was absent to! We even had a look look for the Mandarin Ducks but you have guessed what.Yes of course no sign.So we headed for Dundrum and after a bit of searching found the Spotted Redshank,consorting with Redshank and Greenshank.We ended up with excellent views but because of the sun photos were poor.Then it was on to Killough to look for Black Redstart but no luck and round to the corner were a desperate search produced just one first winter Glaucous Gull.
We ended up at the RSPB reserve at Belfast.What a splendid place that place is.We were of course looking for the reported Yellow Legged Gull but you have guessed the answer already! One first winter Iceland Gull ,2 Ruff and fantastic views of all the other waders and ducks.Got some fantastic photos of a male Teal.{contact me privately if you want to see them}
Bought a chinease meal on the way home and they gave me the wrong meal.Sums up the weekend.Eat it anyway.It was lovely!
All the best
Derek
Old Sunday 6th March 2005, 17:06   #67
DEREK CHARLES

Forgot,photo of Spotted Redshank!
Old Sunday 6th March 2005, 17:09   #68
DEREK CHARLES

Sorry here it is now!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spotted teal 004.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	17692  
Old Sunday 6th March 2005, 20:03   #69
Tully

Seems you've had a frustrating day. I've been given the run around by a buzzard near home. He was sitting in a tree close to the road as I went to church this morning (late) so I could not stop. As I headed out this afternoon, I found him close to the same spot but he flew off before I could get the camera out.
I went down to Portmore and found
Whoopers
Tufted Duck, Ruddy duck, G C Grebes, Widgeon, Greylags, Cormorant, Snipe.
While watching the whoopers at one end of the lake, a couple got up and I stood up to get the camera, in case they flew my way. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a heron rise. He must have been right in front of the hide and all I could get is this shot as he flew away. I've been waiting for a closeup of a heron for quite a while.
PC still in doc so hope these work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Heronweb.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	17703  Click image for larger version

Name:	Whooperweb.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	17704  

Old Monday 7th March 2005, 10:50   #70
Roger&out
Up Down

Angry

Quote:
Hello Everyone.I had a bit of a frustrateing couple of days...

Derek,

I know the feeling!!!
Saturday morning I headed off to Culmore Point for an hour or so but got a puncture on the way; had just got there when I had to leave to pick up my daughter. When I got back in the afternoon both the tide and the wind were up. This meant that the gulls, a huge raft, were all on the water but the water was very choppy, and so impossible to get good views. Was able to pick out 2 Glaucous and one Iceland gulls but dipped on the Kumlien's.

Because of where the gulls were located, i drove to Culmore Point and while I was slightly closer to them, still no Kumliens and no extra Northern gulls spotted.

Culmore point did, however, turn up 4 Red Throated Divers, sheltering in the bay upstream of the point.

Roger

p.s. nice shot of the spotted red Derek

Nice shots Tully
Old Monday 7th March 2005, 11:19   #71
nepp

Quote:
Hello Everyone.I had a bit of a frustrateing couple of days.Derek
Hi all,
Sorry to hear your various sundays were frustrated. I suppose from now on we will see fewer birds about...when do they start flying out?
Tully your photos make our local species look so exotic - what with the blue skies..and the bright colours.

I went to Mount Charles and Killybegs at the weekend. As you predicted I saw 5 red throated and one great northern diver from the pier near Mount Charles. There were also small parties of Brent geese, plenty of oystercatchers and a single greenshank. The water on Sunday was like a mirror because it was so calm.
I hoped to see some northern gulls at Killybegs but they were so far away on the shore that I couldn't see much. Plenty of herring gulls and greater black backs and not many black headed gulls seemed to be the order of the day. Also saw wigeon, teal and plenty of curlews.

Norma

Last edited by nepp : Monday 7th March 2005 at 11:24.

Old Tuesday 8th March 2005, 20:00   #72
DEREK CHARLES

Hello Norma,glad you got a lovely day for Donegal.On cold windy days it can feel like the coldest place on earth! Nice to see you got some divers.On calm flat days the Black Throated Divers at Mountcharles seem to sit over near the sandbar and it takes a powerful telescope and some experience to pick them up.I have often seen Long Tailed Ducks from the pier as well.
Killybegs can be a very frustrateing place to watch gulls.The gulls often sit on roofs of the factories or in adjoining bays and can be very hard to see.The best place to see them is down at the pier when they are offloading fish from the boats.Nearby Mervagh is very good for scoters with records of both Surf and Velvet Scoters.
All the best
Derek
Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 11:14   #73
Tully

Not been able to get out in this nice weather has been annoying. Work is an unfortunate necessity. Restricted to looking at photos. Finally found my competition entries for NIOC competition. The Swan was the winner and the Goldfinch was 2nd

Whoops Goldie too big. will post later
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swan3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	17815  

Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 12:04   #74
Tully

Goldfinch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GoldieWeb.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	17818  

Old Wednesday 9th March 2005, 16:52   #75
nepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully
The Swan was the winner and the Goldfinch was 2nd
Tully your picture of the swan is really super. I've printed it out to sit on my desk. Well done

Norma

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: