Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Will they survive?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 17th December 2013, 13:07   #1
Jaison

Will they survive?

I rented a house in January and there were no birds in the garden. We only have a few houses around and they are some distance away.

Over the course of several weeks we started to get visitors. They liked the food and kept coming back!

Our guests all had babies and now each day we have 40 sparrows of various types, finches, long-tailed, blue and great tits, four blackbirds and a thrush. There are also 4 hooded crows, some magpies and a jay. All come each day.

I am moving in a few weeks and I am worried about the small birds and whether they will get enough food now they have come to rely on a regular supply. I am only moving the other side of a big field, a few hundred yards away. But how do I tell them where I am going?

I am hoping to sneak back to feed them when I am able until the house is rented out again. I was wanting some advice as to whether this is a good idea or whether it is better that the food just stops. Will they go looking for another home or will they stay and try to forage for natural food.

As far as I can tell most of the birds we have are a result of multiplication and have never needed to eat anything other than what we provide for them.

Any advise/reassurance would be appreciated.

Jaison
Old Tuesday 17th December 2013, 19:55   #2
Zheljko

Just put out a birdfeeder at your new site and birds will fly over. They will certainly not starve, they are already knowing where berry bushes in the area are and visit them regularly. They will probably visit the old site as well, but there is nothing wrong with that. If there is absolutely no food there they will just fly around until they reach your new feeder. The winter just started and most birds wander around in flocks anyway.
Old Wednesday 8th January 2014, 14:49   #3
Jaison

Thanks for your reply.

It's nice to know that you think they will be alright.

Hopefully their instinct will take over and they will figure out what to eat instead. I was worried that I had looked after them so well they might not adjust very well.

I'm actually going to live 500M away so doubt they will come that far in searching. There are other houses nearer but in a different direction.

Jaison
Old Wednesday 8th January 2014, 15:12   #4
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2019

Don't worry Jaison - I'm sure they'll be OK. Tit flocks seem to do a daily circuit of quite a big lap, so they'll no doubt find your feeders pretty quickly.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie
1707 - 64

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: