Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Prime focus - why the need for an extension tube?

Old Friday 11th January 2019, 22:46   #1
wilfredsdad

Prime focus - why the need for an extension tube?

Hello, I am just setting up to try prime focus digiscoping (Acuter 20-60x80 scope, Canon eos760D). I intend to use a 2x (possibly 3x) Barlow. Whilst looking at the equipment used for some of the prime focused, digiscoped pics shown in various user galleries here I see that most have included an extension tube (often 2"). I am assuming that this is placed between the Barlow and the camera. Can anyone clue me up on the following:-
A)What is the purpose of the tube?
B)How do I know which length of tube I require?
C)How are tubes - particularly the end fittings - specified? Do most tubes come with a T thread at each end to screw into the Barlow and T ring on the camera?
D)How do I check out that the tube is working optimally to do what it should do?
Any other advice and suggestions relating to prime focus digiscoping with a Barlow and a DSLR would be most gratefully received, thank you in advance, Pete
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: