• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Reed Warbler (1 Viewer)

Blue Kangaroo

The African Reed Warbler is on the WP List. But it is unlikely to be ID in the field on plumage nor song. Has anyone got any ideas how to see this bird and feel that you have seen it ?

The African Reed Warbler is on the WP List. But it is unlikely to be ID in the field on plumage nor song. Has anyone got any ideas how to see this bird and feel that you have seen it ?

Yes, simple. Go to somewhere in Africa where you'd feel as comfortable ticking it, as you would be comfortable ticking Reed Warbler at a point on the globe where Reed Warbler would be the expected of the two species. I'm pretty sure I didn't worry about African Reed Warbler being an issue, when I got my first 'dodgy range tick' Reed Warbler at Frensham Ponds in Surrey in the 70's ;) :t:

Last edited:
Yes, simple. Go to somewhere in Africa where you'd feel as comfortable ticking it, as you would be comfortable ticking Reed Warbler at a point on the globe where Reed Warbler would be the expected of the two species ;) :t:
Go somewhere in southern Spain in June (so all migrants have long passed by): http://www.magornitho.org/2016/12/phylogeny-eurasian-african-reed-warbler-complex/
Lumping makes more sense of course, but if you suggest something like that people get very upset...

Yes, simple. Go to somewhere in Africa where you'd feel as comfortable ticking it, as you would be comfortable ticking Reed Warbler at a point on the globe where Reed Warbler would be the expected of the two species. I'm pretty sure I didn't worry about African Reed Warbler being an issue, when I got my first 'dodgy range tick' Reed Warbler at Frensham Ponds in Surrey in the 70's ;) :t:

Frensham Reed Warbler was relumped in 1980.....

Thanks Larry
But i would like to see the African Reed Warbler in the WP Area. Also i would like to be confident that, that is the bird seen. I can tick a Reed Warbler as i know its song. As for ticking various Warblers in the UK its no more than a lottery for me when the bird has not called nor sung, Olivaceous Warblers turn into Booted Warblers then they become the UK's first Olive Tree Warbler, Booted Warblers turn into Skyes Warbler depending on who needs to tick what and Melodious Warblers turn into Icterine Warblers.

That was my point. You've ticked Reed Warbler on Range.

I have Larry. Now i want to add African Reed Warbler but as no one can ID this bird via sight nor call i need some help. The same as others do. To be able to say that they have at least seen the bird or feel confident that the bird seen was in all probabilty an African Reed Warbler.

It's a short-distance migrant and can (apparently) be distinguished by its shorter wings.
Try Oued Massa in Morocco (not all that far from Agadir).

It's a short-distance migrant and can (apparently) be distinguished by its shorter wings.
That would apply to nominate Acrocephalus baeticatus baeticatus and other sspp resident in tropical Africa, but probably won't apply to migratory Iberian / NW African A. b. ambiguus?

That was my point. You've ticked Reed Warbler on Range.

Yes i have Larry. Now i get what it is you are trying to tell me. Ive ticked Reed Warbler at Severnside UK in the summer time in a reed bed singing the Reed Warblers song. No eyebrows raised to that tick, but if i have decided its an African Reed Warbler at that location above, then i think a few eyebrows might be raised.

Its only seems possible to say you have seen both or either or any of the 2 Reed Warblers based on location and time of year.
For me if i see a Reed Warbler in Spain during say November. Then its going to be ticked as an African Reed Warbler.

The easiest method to be certain would be to hang around a Spanish reedbed until you see one taking a dump. Collect a sample and buy a DNA testing kit from Ancestry.co.uk (£79+shipping)...

Why in June ? Will there not be European Reed Warbler there ?

Europeans will have moved through by then to breed further North, leaving just the Africans behind to breed there. I cheated a little and didn't quite wait till June; saw a couple seemingly on territory at La Rabida on 29th May.

That would apply to nominate Acrocephalus baeticatus baeticatus and other sspp resident in tropical Africa, but probably won't apply to migratory Iberian / NW African A. b. ambiguus?

A.. ambiguus does have a shorter primaries and a more rounded wings than A scirpaceus although good views and photos would be needed to confirm.

The key question is whether ambiguus is a ssp of baeticatus or of scirpaceus . Historically it has been regarded as a ssp of scirpaceus but in the last few years IOC has moved it to baeticatus. This has broken the concept that scirpaceus was the migrating species and baeticatus was resident in sub-saharan Africa.

The recent handbook of Western Palearctic birds effectively ducks the issue by saying that baeticatus and scirpaceus are one and the same species (probably) and (therefore) shows ambiguus as a ssp of scirpaceus.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back