Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Meopta MeoPro HD 8x42 vs Vortex Viper HD 8x42 (2018)

Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 10:48   #1
kesi

Meopta MeoPro HD 8x42 vs Vortex Viper HD 8x42 (2018)

Hello, I decide between Meopro HD and Viper HD, both have good reviews. Vortex has a wider field of view, but I can't decide.

Please help!
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 14:24   #2
jgraider

Quality control of the Vortex Chinese binos has gone downhill since moving production from Japan to China. A sad reality, but proven to me by the last samples of Viper HD's and Razor HD's I looked through at my buddy's gun gun shop. Poor eyecups that wouldn't stay put, flimsy hinges, overall poor effort in spite of the very good Razor glass, and good Viper HD glass.

I'd take a Meopta any day of the week over anything Vortex makes. My only dislike of the Meopro HD is the super fast focus, but many birders like that feature.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 15:31   #3
kesi

I was afraid of that :-(

Meopro
- distinct coma
- weak sharpness on the edge of the field of view

Edit: please suggest better design 8x42, maybe Meopta B1 8x42 non HD. Unfortunately, enough money has a color defect in the middle of the field and significant on the edge. I don't want to spend more than $ 1000
I had excellent Meopta HD 10x42, unfortunately I need 8x
Sorry, I used Google translators

Last edited by kesi : Thursday 25th April 2019 at 15:52.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 15:48   #4
[email protected]

I had them both at one time and I thought the edges on the Meopro HD were quite a bit softer than the Vortex HD and I don't like soft edges. I thought the Vortex was the better binocular IMO but try them both if you can. The Vortex HD in a 10x42 is ranked quite a bit higher than the Meopro HD in 10x42 on Allbinos.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ra...ing-10x42.html
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 18:46   #5
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesi View Post
Hello, I decide between Meopro HD and Viper HD, both have good reviews. Vortex has a wider field of view, but I can't decide.

Please help!
IMO this is a no-brainer. The Meopta Meopro HD 8X42 is IMO a much better binocular optically and mechanically. I really like the Meopro HD. In back to back use of both binoculars it's actually pretty easy to tell which has a better image. Focus adjustment is much lighter and smoother on the Meopro HD as well. The overall perception of quality is much more apparent with the Meopro HD too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	693211  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 18:51   #6
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I had them both at one time and I thought the edges on the Meopro HD were quite a bit softer than the Vortex HD and I don't like soft edges. I thought the Vortex was the better binocular IMO but try them both if you can. The Vortex HD in a 10x42 is ranked quite a bit higher than the Meopro HD in 10x42 on Allbinos.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ra...ing-10x42.html
This review is NOT of the current Vortex Viper HD. That review was from November 2011 when this binocular was made in Japan. Current models are MIC.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 20:04   #7
[email protected]

I had some MIC Vortex's and some Japanese built ones as well. I didn't notice a huge difference in quality. Before Vortex ships any binoculars out they check them over. Also, with their Unconditional Lifetime Warranty if you get a lemon they will send you a new one no questions asked. Hunter's love Vortex's. They can drop them off the Grand Canyon and Vortex will send you a new one.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 20:40   #8
jgraider

Vortex has a great warranty because you'll very likely need it. You need to quit while you're behind on this one Dennis.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 23:49   #9
mskb

I haven't handled the Vipers. I see you already have experience with the MeoproHD 10x. The MeoproHD 8x I used for a short time had good smooth and quick focus, which I really like! Similar to a ConquestHD in that regard. Resolution wise, about the same as a MonarchHG in my checks, although I did hear from more experienced people it can be better than that. CA control wise, I found it to be stunning. I only noticed glare when the eye placement wasn't right. You will have to decide on the color profile, ergonomics, edge characteristics and the FoV as those can be pretty subjective. Your past experience with the 10x might help here. I personally was never bothered by the edge characteristics, but the colors, eye placement ergo and FoV were so-so/ok for me.

It is best always to try and decide in an optics fair; if that isn't possible, we might have to just cut our losses in purchasing a decently rated one first, understand what we like and don't like and move on from there before spending a lot of money. Given that you already have had a 10x Meopro HD, just wondering here -- to add some variety, why not try a *used* Vortex Viper HD / a used Monarch 7 8x42? Just a thought. Cheers, and good luck with your search!

Last edited by mskb : Friday 26th April 2019 at 13:49.
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 03:20   #10
marcsantacurz

Quote:
I was afraid of that :-(

Meopro
- distinct coma
- weak sharpness on the edge of the field of view

Edit: please suggest better design 8x42, maybe Meopta B1 8x42 non HD. Unfortunately, enough money has a color defect in the middle of the field and significant on the edge. I don't want to spend more than $ 1000
I had excellent Meopta HD 10x42, unfortunately I need 8x
For $1000 USD you can do the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 (about $880 new). I also liked the view in the Minox 8x44 BL HD v.2 (I've used it in the 8x33, not the x44) and it's about $525. Or maybe some used Kowa Genesis 8.5x44.

Someone over in the classifieds has the older Swaro 8.5x42 for 700 Euro.

Marc
Old Friday 26th April 2019, 18:17   #11
bartd

I used a buddies MeoPro 10x42's last fall and it wasn't until I looked up the price that I was amazed. A lot of quality for a great price. I don't think you will be disappointed in your purchase. My friend lives in Maine and his bino's are on his boat or at his camp with him. They have definitely been subjected to awful weather conditions and still impressive. I think I will be owning a pair in the very near future.
Old Monday 29th April 2019, 23:07   #12
justabirdwatcher

I wish I could recommend the MeoPro, but they just have WAY too much distortion for me.

I bought two pairs (8x42 and 10x42) last year and had them both in hand side-by-side against my wife's Bushnell Legend M's and my Zeiss Conquest HD's.

The Meopro's went back in the box and were returned (1 pair) or sold (the other pair) the same day.

The form factor is superb. Great size and balance and function. But the optics just stunk for my eyes.

I'd take a Viper HD over a MeoPro any day. And I like the Meostars.
Old Monday 29th April 2019, 23:09   #13
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
IMO this is a no-brainer. The Meopta Meopro HD 8X42 is IMO a much better binocular optically and mechanically. I really like the Meopro HD. In back to back use of both binoculars it's actually pretty easy to tell which has a better image. Focus adjustment is much lighter and smoother on the Meopro HD as well. The overall perception of quality is much more apparent with the Meopro HD too.
It's so funny how each person's eyes are different. I would have said the exact opposite with regard to optical quality.
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 13:46   #14
kesi

Yes, Meopro has more distortion. Thank you for all the reactions and recommendations. I really appreciate it! :-)
Finally I ordered Maven C1 8x42
- have a small field of view
+ brightness and sharpness almost at Razor ...
Unfortunately, I have to add tax in Europe to the price. Crazy World.
I want to buy B1 or B2 next year :-)))

Edit: i'm sorry, I used Google translators.

Last edited by kesi : Saturday 8th June 2019 at 14:08.
Old Saturday 8th June 2019, 21:23   #15
NDhunter

With that budget I would go with the Zeiss Conquest HD or the Nikon Monarch HG.
I have both in 10x42, and I really like them both.

If thinking Meopta, you could go with the Meostar HD 8x42, this series is well regarded.

I agree with the others, don't go for the Vortex as there are many better choices.

Jerry
Old Sunday 9th June 2019, 12:50   #16
kesi

Thanks, Meostar 8x42 HD it's a new series that I can't buy in Europe. They're not B1. I'd like to see them side by side but I don't have possibility. I decided to save money and later I buy a better binocular, maybe just from Maven. I like their design and I read praise.
My first better binocular was Nikon HG L DCF 8x32 - Very good in almost every direction. Then I bought an Excellent Meopta B1 10x42 HD. I found that I couldn't keep calm image and got more such as mirage.

I look forward to C1 8x42, I like new things, now I own only Tento 7x50 Soviet binoculars Made in USSR :-D

Last edited by kesi : Sunday 9th June 2019 at 13:59.
Old Thursday 13th June 2019, 16:20   #17
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
With that budget I would go with the Zeiss Conquest HD or the Nikon Monarch HG.
I have both in 10x42, and I really like them both.

If thinking Meopta, you could go with the Meostar HD 8x42, this series is well regarded.

I agree with the others, don't go for the Vortex as there are many better choices.

Jerry
This
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 13:39   #18
kesi

Maven C1 8x42 - eyecups hold in place. Focusing goes smoothly, just a little stiff. Narrow FOV, but very very nice glass :)

Last edited by kesi : Monday 17th June 2019 at 13:49.
Old Sunday 23rd June 2019, 12:21   #19
kesi

Mini review on Amazon,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews...r&pageNumber=1

kesi
Old Thursday 27th June 2019, 03:27   #20
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Maven C1 8x42 - eyecups hold in place. Focusing goes smoothly, just a little stiff. Narrow FOV, but very very nice glass :)

Interesting. I returned a pair of C1's specifically because the eyecups wouldn't hold their position and the narrow FOV. I agree the image was quite good though.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: