Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swaro PCT tripod vs Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Serie 3

Old Monday 13th May 2019, 09:47   #1
yves0071

Swaro PCT tripod vs Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Serie 3

Hi,
Swaro PCT carbon vs Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Serie 3 :
I guess it is the same tripods, right?
(as Gitzo is manufacturing tripod & heads for Swaroski)
Thanks in advance,
Yves
Old Monday 13th May 2019, 20:18   #2
johnf3f
johnf3f

If you are sure they are the same then go for the cheapest. I haven't played (yet) with the Swaro tripod so I cannot be certain.

However if you can find a decent (used) Gitzo GT3530LS - I found, that to be a better (?) option. It is lighter and more rigid, yes you do loose the centre column - but that is why it is lighter and more rigid.

Glad to see that you are looking at "proper" tripods for you scope - more important than the scope in my opinion.
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 06:03   #3
yves0071

Thanks John for your advice but I need a center column as I use tripod only with a scope and I need a quick height adjustment solution.
Swaro tripod & head (Gitzo) are beautiful but I do not need that level for my telescope :)
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 12:28   #4
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves0071 View Post
Thanks John for your advice but I need a center column as I use tripod only with a scope and I need a quick height adjustment solution.
Swaro tripod & head (Gitzo) are beautiful but I do not need that level for my telescope :)
You should be able to add a leveling base or center column to the GT3530LS (and most other Gitzo tripods) as an optional accessory.

--AP
Old Tuesday 14th May 2019, 22:41   #5
johnf3f
johnf3f

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves0071 View Post
Whether you prefer a centre column or not is a personal choice, personally I have gone off centre columns for all uses - but that is me not you!

As to what level of tripod you need? Just my opinion - I am primarily a photographer but I do use scopes as well. Even though I use the longest lenses I can get (currently a Canon 800 F5.6 L IS) I find my old Kowa Prominar to be more demanding on my Gitzo tripods than my lenses ever are.

You are looking at top quality tripods (quite right too!) so try a couple out before you decide. Have fun choosing.
Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 06:22   #6
yves0071

Hi,
I do not need very tall tripods.
In deed, using the central column, you may loose a bit of stability.
Yves
Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 14:48   #7
bioscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf3f View Post
Whether you prefer a centre column or not is a personal choice, personally I have gone off centre columns for all uses - but that is me not you!

As to what level of tripod you need? Just my opinion - I am primarily a photographer but I do use scopes as well. Even though I use the longest lenses I can get (currently a Canon 800 F5.6 L IS) I find my old Kowa Prominar to be more demanding on my Gitzo tripods than my lenses ever are.

You are looking at top quality tripods (quite right too!) so try a couple out before you decide. Have fun choosing.
Your longest lens is a 800mm () - but calculate the focal length of your scope with 20x, 30x, 50x (depends with the focal lenght of the scope). You can reach 2500mm just by twisting your zoom-eyepiece.

So, if your Gitzo come the the limit, try a Berlebach…

strong stands
Manfred
Old Wednesday 15th May 2019, 21:12   #8
johnf3f
johnf3f

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioscope View Post
Your longest lens is a 800mm () - but calculate the focal length of your scope with 20x, 30x, 50x (depends with the focal lenght of the scope). You can reach 2500mm just by twisting your zoom-eyepiece.

So, if your Gitzo come the the limit, try a Berlebach…

strong stands
Manfred
The effective focal length of scopes can be quite long and they have to be held steady for viewing - not a fraction of a second for a photograph as with a camera (though cameras do need very stable tripods at the longer focal lengths). Hence my suggestion to aim for very rigid tripods.

I am not familiar with the Berlebach tripods so I had a quick look, interesting. However they do seem a bit heavy for my uses, I am carrying far too much already!

As to my 800mm? Well it was simply the longest lens I could get + I was lucky on the price.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: