• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crows (1 Viewer)

Hey y'all! i just LOVE crows.. i was wondering if anybody in the states know this.. if you have to own a Permit, or wildlife sancuary in order to own on.. because i plan on doing those both, the permit once i turn 18, for a Least Weasel for Educational purposes. and thought since i love Crows why not spread the love of these really smart beautiful birds.. LOL.. everytime i see a Crow doesnt matter where i am, i stop what im doing just to watch it. or them if theres a group. thanks y'all in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Amanda,

From all the BirdForum Moderators and Administration, Welcome!

We are glad to have you join us in our appreciation of nature, especially wild birds.

We hope you find this site enjoyable and rewarding.

I believe you will find out that it is illegal to keep wild animals unless you obtain a special permit which is issued to scientific communities. It may be difficult for you to obtain one of these permits unless you are part of an institution doing scientific research.

Larry Lade said:
Hi Amanda,

From all the BirdForum Moderators and Administration, Welcome!

We are glad to have you join us in our appreciation of nature, especially wild birds.

We hope you find this site enjoyable and rewarding.

I believe you will find out that it is illegal to keep wild animals unless you obtain a special permit which is issued to scientific communities. It may be difficult for you to obtain one of these permits unless you are part of an institution doing scientific research.

Thankyou.
yeah i was looking at my DNR site, and they say you can get a permit for Educational purposes, and some other ones. and i figure since my mom works for an elementry school that i could go there and teach the kids about that and i'll probably have some other animals, to talk to the kids about.. or team up with some other wild santuary. they said you could do the Least Weasel and i was just wondering if i could with Crows also. since Crows have a bad rep here in Minnesota

Rather than trying to subject more birds to captivity, why don't you work with your local schools and arrange to lead field trips to local zoos or, even better, bird rehabilitators? At least the birds in these facilities are ones that have to be there for one reason or another (injured, can't be re-released into the wild, etc.). :t:

Katy Penland said:
Rather than trying to subject more birds to captivity, why don't you work with your local schools and arrange to lead field trips to local zoos or, even better, bird rehabilitators? At least the birds in these facilities are ones that have to be there for one reason or another (injured, can't be re-released into the wild, etc.). :t:

im still only 17, i plan to do this when im 18. i was just gonna go to like grades 1-5, and talk to them about it. get them to change their minds on Crows.

Hi Amanda, I also had the same idea once. I liked hawks so much I wanted to have one. But wild birds don't want to be imprisoned in a cage or a barn, they need to fly and it would have been very selfish of me to take that away from them.

Last edited:
As a 17 year old you can join many youth organizations. I happen to be a scout leader so I know what they have to offer but Campfire is also a great organization. It isn't too late. You can join independently instead of joining a troop if you want. The Girl Scout councils in Minnesota are found here: http://www.girlscouts.org/councilfinder/results.asp?STATE=MN

Girl scouting has a birding badge and they should be willing to help you learn and share your knowledge with younger girls. They lead supervised projects that benefit the outdoors, promote outdoor education and will help you learn about the service oportunities in your community.

I know 17 may seem too old to begin in these organizations but the door is always open even through your college years and then as an adult leader. Think about sharing your love of birds with Brownies (girls grades 1-3) as a teen outdoor birding assistant. My girls love teaching skills to younger girls and sometimes they even teach skills to other leaders. Each council keeps a list of older scouts and adults that have knowledge in some special area for use of their younger scout troops.

Crows are great bird with an interesting social structure. Their teenagers are sent out as the scouts exploring new places before the rest of the flock arrives.

Last edited:
yeah once i move.. (my boyfriend and i are planning on moving to a farm) i'm gonna build this HUGE inclousor (Sp) for the crow. trust me.. i have 9 pets, and they are all spoiled even the fish. LOL.. so no pets here arent spoiled. LOL..
girl scouts arent really my thing. LOL i gotta have my cell with me at all times.. (im a teenage girl. LOL, plus my boyfriend is at basic training i dont want to miss his call. LOL) but thankyou for the information! :) i'll try to find like a sancturay to volenteer at.

Amanda, you need to check into the laws surrounding the keeping of wild birds. You cannot build an enclosure and capture and keep just any bird you like. It is against the law, and all but a very few wild birds are federally protected in the US -- including crows. You need to read the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and contact your local DNR for information before you do something that could get you into trouble.

hi Amanda
i understand that you spoil all your pets but no amount of spoiling is going to substitute freedom for a bird of any kind.
Please dont go down that road - just enjoy watching birds for what they are - and educate kids into watching them in the wild - one more captive bird is one too many
Nigel

*~Amanda~* said:
Hey y'all! i just LOVE crows.. i was wondering if anybody in the states know this.. if you have to own a Permit, or wildlife sancuary in order to own on.. because i plan on doing those both, the permit once i turn 18, for a Least Weasel for Educational purposes. and thought since i love Crows why not spread the love of these really smart beautiful birds.. LOL.. everytime i see a Crow doesnt matter where i am, i stop what im doing just to watch it. or them if theres a group. thanks y'all in advance!
Hi Amanda ye crows have always been a fav of mine to the way they are so cheeky , I like rook the most
Im not up in the USA law so dont know
Be nice though

no im not gonna trap one that is out in the wild.. i know better than that. i'm gonna partner up with a person from a Sanuary and one of the crows that can't be released back into the wild i'll care for, adn use as education purposes. i've never cought a wild pet and kept it as a pet, frogs and thats it. but i ended up letting them go anyways. im talking about the Crows that got injured somehow and can't be released back into the wid

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back