Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fingeringhoe Wick, Essex

Old Wednesday 10th September 2003, 19:15   #1
Trevor Lee

Fingeringhoe Wick, Essex

Hi, Had a days birdwatching at Fingeringhoe today.

Really pleasant, few people and so quiet!!

Sat for the first 1/2 hour watching the usual greenfinches, great and blue tits, etc on the hangers from the visitor centre window.

Had a lovely view of a female kestrel hunting (succesfully) becuase I was higher than the Kestrel it was possible to view her from above and watched her for quite a while.

Shortly after, she was mobbed and driven away by 3 or 4 magpies.

Then wandered over to the hides on the estuary and sat there for a couplre of hours.

Birds seen were Black tailed Godwit, Grey plover, Little Egrets(2) curlew (masses of them) turnstones, Avocets, Shelduck, Oystercatchers some smaller birds (am not brilliant at identification!!)

Masses of Wrens, it must be a really good breeding year for them.

Later strolled over the lake hide, watched Gadwall, Tufted, and one Pochard. Usual species seen Moorhen, Coot, Little Grebe, etc.

Nothing spectacular seen though was hoping to see a Marsh Harrier, (saw one there about 6 weeks ago) but didn't put in an appearance.

Didn't want to go home it was so peaceful and quiet.

Regards to you all

Trevor
Old Thursday 11th September 2003, 03:31   #2
cuddy
Brian Robson

Location: On a hill overlooking the little village of Newcastle
Its not all about rarities as your report shows Trevor, a nice enjoyable day with a varied mix of species and some peace and quite that is a rare commodity and something to be savoured.

Your Avocets and Little Egrets would be special birds around here.
Old Thursday 11th September 2003, 10:37   #3
James Armstrong
Flowerpot Man

Hi Trevor,

On a pedantic note - it's Fingringhoe Wick! Visited it over the summer and had a nice afternoon there. Want to go back and see the bits I missed. Like Oare Marshes in Kent, you need to get there a couple of hours before high tide to see the waders close up. The views over the River Colne Estuary are fantastic aren't they! For those who don't know , it's owned by Essex Wildlife Trust and is described as their flagship reserve and is where they have their HQ. See www.essexwt.org.uk. Not as good as another 'flagship reserve' I know (Minsmere) but very good none the less. For anybody interested in Essex Birding can I recommend 'Wild Essex' by Tony Gunton - 'a guide to the nature reserves and country parks of Essex and east London' ISBN 0-9530362-2-7. This book is brilliant!

james

There'll be blue birds over...

Old Thursday 11th September 2003, 10:44   #4
Trevor Lee

Thanks James, yeah I knew I had spelt it right but to be honest didn't think people would mind too much.

Only recently joined essex wildlife trust and have visited Fingrinhoe twice.

Wiil be trying to get to Abberton very soon to see what it is like there. Some PM's by all accounts including Osprey.

High on my tick list though is one of the divers not fussy about which one but have since being a kid I have always wanted to see one.

Were quite lucky in this part of esses that we have such good places to bird quite close by.

Cheers

Trevor
Old Thursday 11th September 2003, 11:34   #5
James Armstrong
Flowerpot Man

Hi Trevor,

Sorry mate, used to be a teacher! (Aaaaaaaargggggghhhhh!) Glad you've stuck more details in the County by County bit because Ian was thinking of closing it down! I've copied out extracts from the Essex Wildlife Trust's book 'Wild Essex' for Fingringhoe plus a few comments of my own. Really recommend this book - see you're a member so you probably have it. Got it in the Wick Visitor Centre.
I've spent many years in Essex, in fact my Mother still lives in Upminster, so I often go birding there. Abberton is good as is Hanningfield Reservoir. In fact I prefer Hanningfield - great nature trail and more hides also fewer people!

There'll be blue birds over...

Old Thursday 11th September 2003, 11:47   #6
Trevor Lee

Hi James, thanks for reply.

Havent been to Abberton but plan on going next week before I return to work.

There are some really nice, small but interesting sites around here which people should know about.

One of my favourites is the Wivenhoe trail which follows the bank on the opposite side of the Wick.

I have seen Marsh Harrier, and Short Eared Owl along there. it is quite secluded.

It follows a disused railway in parts and through woodland.

It is possible to walk to Brightlingsea form Colchester and is an interesting day out with lots of birds and insects.

Give it a go sometime!

Cheers

Trevor

P.S I will be watching my spelling now!!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: