• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with hatching eggs? (1 Viewer)

ashli888

I have a few questions, the first one is identifying the eggs. They are blue, and seem to have speckles on them. At this point, I've assumed that they are Robin eggs, just because we have a lot of them around our house (that and Sparrows).

The second is, I need some information about hatching the eggs. I know that you arn't suppose to take the eggs, but both me and my parents are postive that my cat must have gotten to the parents and I can't stand letting them die without a chance. Right now I have them covered by hamster fluff... which is basically like cotton and straw, and a light right over top. I'm not sure if this is enough. About how long does it take for eggs to hatch?

I'd really like some suggestions, I've taken care of a few baby birds before (we are trying to stop our cat from getting into nests, but it seems a little hopeless at this point) and many of them have lifed a long while but I've never hatched an egg before. Any words of advice would be helpful, thank you!

I cannot answer your question as such, except to say that what you try to do may not even be legal where you live. Contact your local department of natural resources, they may have some advice as to who to contact (rehabilitation centre or something).

The second part of the advice would be to have a bell tied to the collar on the cat; it will soon learn not to move abrubtly so at to not generate the noice, but most cats are ineffective hunters while wearing a bell (AFAIK).

Niels

If desperate, you need to incubate. The eggs need certain temperature to hatch, and they get that from their parents during that period. Cannot help anyfurther, just know that from hatching chickens....:)))) I think its all the same for all birds. On the side note, if too much heat you may cook them, not nice to say, but it can happen.

Any words of advice would be helpful, thank you!

Leave the eggs where they are - in the nest. Don't attempt to hatch them yourself. Apart from the fact that you're almost certainly breaking the law, if you do manage to hatch them (which you won't without an incubator) you'll be left having to rear a brood of birds that you can't release, as they'll be imprinted on you.

Better to spend your time trying to stop your cat killing birds.

Jonathan

It is Illegal to keep Wild birds in Ontario

The centre that I volunteer for has a website that can tell you more about Wildlife Rehabilitation, it sound like you may want to volunteer at a centre someday. http://www.sandypineswildlife.org/

In Canada: It is not legal to try to hatch the eggs. It is also illegal to remove the egg from nests. Even if your eggs hatch, there are now many problems facing you: imprinting, improper diet and much more, these birds would not be able to be released into the wild, because they would not survive and because they are wild by nature, would be very unhappy in captivity! If you have found a baby bird, you need to contact a licensed Rehabilitator to help you try and decide if it even needs your help. It may not, young birds are normally on the ground for a few days after leaving the nest. Their parents are nearby, even if you cannot see them. You are bigger than you cat, please try and keep it indoors at this time of year when baby birds are around.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back