• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dybowski in Dybowski’s Twinspot Euschistospiza dybowskii ? (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
There seem to be some confusion regarding the commemoration of Dybowski’s Twinspot Euschistospiza dybowskii OUSTALET 1892 … and the question is the simple, basic one (but apparently hard to answer): Who is "M. J. Dybowski"?

Thereby let´s start at the beginning!

This species was described, as "Lagonosticta Dybowskii" in: Oustalet, É. 1892. Notice sur Quelgues Espèces Nouvelles d’Oiseaux recueilles par M. J. Dybowski dans le cours de son expedition à travers la region de l’Oubangui. Le Naturaliste: Revue illustrée des Sciences Naturelles (No 134, alt: Serie 2, no 6) 14: 231-232 (Attached)

Since my knowledge of French is meager, to say the least, I can only put my hope on you guys "out there" with better understanding of French …

Does this article tell us anything, any clear dedication or hint, about after whom it is named?

If you could pin-point any certain line, or sentence, (worth a quote) that verify or explain this name I would be even happier?

Anyone feel up to it?

Or does someone already know?

That is: for sure!?

Attachments

• Oustalet 1892 - p.231.jpg
    Oustalet 1892 - p.231.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Oustalet 1892 - p.232.jpg
    Oustalet 1892 - p.232.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 89
M. J. Dybowski = Monsieur Jan Dybowski = Tadeusz Emmanuel Jan Dybowski (1856-1928) Polish/French agronomist, botanist, traveller, collector in tropical Africa 1891-1894.

Although his parents were of Polish origin, he was French and born in France, so I would probably write his name Jean Thadée Emmanuel Dybowski.

There is no express dedication to him in the paper, presumably because the intention was presumed to be evident. Clues obviously include the title:
Notice sur quelques nouvelles espèces d'oiseaux recueillies par M. J. Dubowski dans le cours de son expedition à travers la région de l'Oubagui.
= "Note about some new species of birds collected by Mr J. Dubowski during his expedition through the region of the Ubangi."
...and also this:
Tout à côté de l'Andropadus curvirostris Cass. et de l'Andropadus virens Cass. vient se placer une forme nouvelle que je dédierai à un des frères de M. Dybowski en l'appelant Andropadus Alexandri
= "Very close to the Andropadus curvirostris Cass. and the Andropadus virens Cass. comes a new form that I shall dedicate to one of Mr Dybowski's brothers by naming it Andropadus Alexandri" : this implies that J. Dybowski must have had a brother named Alexandre. And indeed:
- Jean Thadée Emmanuel Dybowski, born on 18 April 1856 at Charonne, France, from Joseph Dybowski and Camille Kosiorowska [birth certificate].
- Alexandre Antoine Dybowski, born on 3 July 1850 at Tulle, France, from Joseph Dybowski and Camille Eusébie Kosiorowski [birth certificate].

Last edited:
James and Laurent,

Thanks! You´re always reliable … Pillars of Knowledge!

I find it quite hard to argue with a Birth Certificate! Well found!

And on top of that, as a bi-product we also, at the same time, just as a Bonus, got:
● the invalid "Andropadus Alexandri" OUSTALET 1892 [not only, as Oustalet thought, "very close to ...", but (as far as I understand it) synonymous with today's (Eurillas/Pycnonotus) Andropadus curvirostris CASSIN 1860] commemorating the French (of Polish Heritage), Grande chancellerie de la légion d’honneur Alexandre Antoine Dybowski (1850-xxxx) – older brother of the equally French (of the same Polish Heritage) agronomist, botanist, traveller and collector Jean Thadée Emmanuel Dybowski (1856–1928) – the latter a k a (in his Polish Family tradition) Jan Tadeusz Emmanuel Dybowski.

Great job, well done! And impressively quick!

That will close my entry on this man ... and this "his" Twinspot.

Dybowski … over and out!

------------------------------
PS. Also see discussion link on Wikipedia (here), where one of his (today living) relatives, Monique Dybowski-Laskowska, makes her voice heard!

PPS. If you copy/paste it into Google translate it might make better sence!?

Dybowski – Part II

It´s apparently hard to leave the Dybowski 's Brothers … since there seem to be yet another one!

And he´s commemorated in Xavier's Greenbul Phyllastrephus xavieri OUSTALET 1892 a k a "Greater Icterine Greenbul".

This Bird was described as "Xenocichla Xavieri" in: Oustalet, É. 1892. Notice sur quelques espèces nouvelles dʼoiseaux recueillies par M. J. Dybowski dans le cour de son expédition à travers la région de lʼOubangui. Le Naturaliste (serie 2) Annee 14. Vol. 6 (no.133): 218 (attached)

As far as I understand (from another source) the type, a female, was collected by Jean Dybowski on the 1st of November 1891, along the river Bangui (Ubanghi River) in Belgian Congo.

But without understanding much French it´s hard to get the whole Picture; why Oustalet named it after his brother? By the type description it seem like Oustalet initially tried to coin the (unaccepted?) Generic name Dybowskia (after the collector "J. Dybowski", I guess – that being this threads leading character; Jean Dybowski), with the Generic Type "Dybowskia kemoensis" (which I think is a junior synonym to today's Red-winged Warbler (Prinia) Heliolais erythropterus JARDINE 1849 as "Drymoica erythroptera" ?) but further on there´s a second Bird, a new species:
"La seconde espèce sur laquelle jʼappellerai lʼattention est une Xenocichla qui me parait différer de toutes les espèces actuellement connues et que je proposerai dʼappeler Xenocichla Xavieri en lʼhonneur dʼun des frères de M. Dybowski."
With only limited knowledge (close to none!) of French I hope that any of Bird Forums readers feel like translating this quote for me!? If so, please as accurate as possible, as I would like to quote it myself in Swedish. And don´t hesitate to remark on any errors that I might have done transcribing it.

Anyone with better knowledge of French feel up to it?

And/or does anyone know who he was?

According to Beolens/Watkins Whose Bird? (2003):
"Xavier Dybowski was a French explorer who collected plants and animals in the Congo, between 1891 and 1892, presumably as part of a military-aided French survey mission headed by Jan [Jean-Thadée] Dybowski (1856–1928) which took place during those years. [Se also Jan Dybowski who we speculate may have been Xavier's brother or even, according to one source, the same person.] He wrote an article Tremblement de terre de Turqui observe a Adapazari, in 1894, published in La Nature."
Apparently, trusting Oustalet, he wasn´t the same person as his brother Jean, but more than that very little seem to be known of this, more or less, forgotten brother. Does anyone know anything else, just about anything, small or large, of the elusive Xavier Dybowski (xxxxxxxx)?

He might, could, quite possibly, be the same person as the almost as unknown entomologist Xavier Dybowski (xxxx-xxxx) , living in Ada bazar, in Turkey in the beginning of the 1900's – that introduced and presented the Turkish Yoghurt(!) for the French Academy of Sciences. I do not know. Not for sure. That´s pure speculation, that I haven´t been able to verify.

------------------------------------------------------------

PS. Neither of the Dybowski's, this far mentioned, in this thread, is to be confused with the Polish zoologist Professor Benedykt Tadeusz Dybowski (1833–1930) that is claimed to be the one (I haven´t checked that one!) commemorated in the Bustard subspecies Otis tarda dybowskii TACZANOWSKI 1874.

Maybe he, in his turn, was an Uncle to the Dybowski Brother's? Who knows?

Attachments

• Oustalet 1892 - p.218 .jpg
    Oustalet 1892 - p.218 .jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
"La seconde espèce sur laquelle jʼappellerai lʼattention est une Xenocichla qui me parait différer de toutes les espèces actuellement connues et que je proposerai dʼappeler Xenocichla Xavieri en lʼhonneur dʼun des frères de M. Dybowski."
"The second species on which I'll call the attention is a Xenocichla that seems to me to differ from all the currently known species and that I'll propose to call Xenocichla Xavieri in honour of one of Mr Dybowski's brothers."

He says nothing more--thus there is actually no evidence whatsoever from the description that Xavier took part to the discovery of the bird.

Sorry, I can't find a birth certificate this time. (Maybe he wasn't Grand Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur and thus, unlike his brothers, has no place on the websites of the French Ministry of Culture... ;)). But in a YahooGroup dedicated to the genealogy of Corrèze, I find this:

Xavier Louis DYBOWSKI, agricultural ingeneer, [born] on 7 July 1852 [at Tulle], son of Joseph [DYBOWSKI] & Camille KOSIOROWSKA, [married] in Paris on 19 May 1888 Sophie Savouré, painter, [born] in 1845 in Paris.

Dybowskia was preoccupied according to Richmond.

Xavier Louis DYBOWSKI, agricultural ingeneer, [born] on 7 July 1852 [at Tulle], son of Joseph [DYBOWSKI] & Camille KOSIOROWSKA, [married] in Paris on 19 May 1888 Sophie Savouré, painter, [born] in 1845 in Paris.

Small enhancement birth record here p. 392 of 515 entry 254.

Small enhancement birth record here p. 392 of 515 entry 254.
Enhanced with what? In what way? The link doesn't work (at least not for me).

Please enlighten me (alt. us, if anyone else have the same problem).

/B

The enhancement is the official birth record (not found by Laurent). The Link works for me. It is the document 2E 272/24 http://www.archives.cg19.fr/recherche/archiveenligne/ => Cliquez ici pour accepter les conditions et consulter l'état civil en ligne => Ou tapez quelques lettres qui composent le nom de la commune => Enter Tulle => Go to p. 11 of 21 => Open Link FRAD019_2E272_038 Naissances => Open p. 392 of 515.

Neverthless his date of death is still missing.

Anyway in the key as..

Xavier Louis Dybowski (fl. 1892) French engineer, collector in the Congo, brother of explorer Jan Dybowski (Phyllastrephus).

Found him as well as

Dybowski (Xavier), directeur de la Ferme du Pré-Catelan, au Bois de Boulogne, à Neully.

or

Dybowski (Xavier), au Jardin Zoologique d'acclimatation du Bois de Boulogne, à Neuilly Seine

P.S. Eponym Dictionary of birds has wrong birth year.

Last edited:
The Link works for me.
The link apparently opens a viewing session associated to the archives of Corrèze.

Anyone viewing this data set is taken to the same address (your link); the address remains the same while you browse, independently of which particular file you are actually viewing.
If you close the window and re-open it, you will be shown the last documents *you* viewed.
If someone else opens the same link without already having a session opened in his browser, no file will show at all.

It might be worth to find...

Bulletin littéraire et scientifique (Association des anciens élèves de l'Ecole polonaise) 1913/11/15 (Année 38, No 304)

I found it here

Nous apprenons que notre camarade Xavier Dybowski qui habite la Turquie d'Asie, vient de perdre sa femme décédée le 18 octobre;

Therefore I think he still lived in 1913.

Portrait de Xavier Dybowski may help. Unfortunatelly No 369 (April 1919) here is missing.

Last edited:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5566353w/f28.image
Nous apprenons avec douleur la mort tragique de notre camarade Xavier DYBOWSKI, inspecteur de la Dette publique ottomane à Constantinople, victime de la catastrophe de la Chaouia le 16 janvier 1919. L'inhumation provisoire a eu lieu à Messine. Il était dans sa 66e année.
Xavier DYBOWSKI était un de nos plus zélés sociétaires. Bien que retenu loin de nous par ses fonctions, il ne manquait jamais une occasion d'assister à nos réunions quand il se trouvait de passage à Paris et il témoigna particulièrement à notre Bulletin une sympathie effective dont nous garderons le souvenir.
Nous adressons à sa veuve, à ses enfants et à toute sa famille, en particulier à sa soeur Anna, notre membre honoraire et à son frère Jean, notre membre associé, nos biens sincères condoléances.

xavieri, Dybowskia, dybowskii, alexandri/alexandrii

Well done guys! :t:

Apparently all three of the Dybowski brothers (all Sons of Joseph Dybowski and Camille Kosiorowska) were born in France, just like we've seen (and suspected) ...

Thereby, today's Key:
xavieri
Xavier Louis Dybowski (fl. 1892) French engineer, collector in the Congo, brother of explorer Jan Dybowski (Phyllastrephus).
... ought to be possible to expand into: Xavier Louis Dybowski (1852–1919) ... older brother of Jean Dybowski* (born 1856), and younger brother of Alexandre Antoine Dybowski** (born 1850) ... and onwards. Xavier's Birth Record attached (thanks to Martin's #10).

Or?

/B
** as in "Andropadus Alexandri".

PS. James, as of now (without checking/confirming every, single bird/name) there are some inconsistencies in today's Key:

Dybowskia
(syn. Prinia Ϯ Red-winged Prinia P. erythroptera jodoptera) Tadeusz Emmanuel Jan Dybowski (1856-1928) Polish/French agronomist, botanist, traveller, collector in tropical Africa 1891-1894; ...
alexandri / alexandrii
[...]
● Alexandre Antoine Dybowski (b. 1850) brother of French botanist and collector Jean Thadée Dybowski (syn. Andropadus curvirostris).
dybowskii
[...]
Tadeusz Emmanuel Jan Dybowski (1856-1928) Polish/French agronomist, botanist, traveller, collector in tropical Africa 1891-1894 (Euschistospiza, syn. Pternistis icterorhynchus).

Attachments

• Xavier Louis Dybowski Birth record, Tulle, 1852, No. 254.jpg
    Xavier Louis Dybowski Birth record, Tulle, 1852, No. 254.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 7
James, why still "Tadeusz Emmanuel Jan Dybowski" (in the udated Key), when his name clearly (at least as far as I can tell) was Jean Thadée Emmanuel Dybowski, (birth certificate, and other French Leonore/Archives Nationales documents, see bottom of Laurent's post #3).

As an Officer/Chevalier de La Légion d'Honneur he must have been (all) French, mustn't he?

Why do you use a different sequence of given names, and/in their Polish version?

Until proven otherwise I will keep the Dybowskis as earlier shown in this thread (all three/four are mentioned in my MS) .

But don't hesitate to prove me (and us all) wrong.

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back