• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunda Teal (1 Viewer)

Sibley and Monroe had the two lumped, and H&M still has (according to Avibase); our consensus is to make changes when there is a consensus of H&M and Clements, but if only one of them has a change, then we go by status quo.

Niels

Sibley and Monroe had the two lumped, and H&M still has (according to Avibase); our consensus is to make changes when there is a consensus of H&M and Clements, but if only one of them has a change, then we go by status quo.

Niels

Here lies my problem with Avibase. Under "Andaman Teal; Anas albogularis" it lists:
CINFO 1993:
Sarcelle des Andaman (Anas albogularis)
Clements 5th ed.:
Andaman Teal (Anas albogularis)
Clements 5th ed. (updated 2005):
Clements 6th ed. (2007):

Well, then what about "Sunda Teal; Anas gibberifrons)"? That account in Avibase lists:
Clements 4th ed.:
Sunda Teal (Anas gibberifrons)
Howard & Moore 2003:
Howard & Moore 2003 (corrigenda 7):
Sibley & Monroe 1993:
Sibley & Monroe 1996:
Indonesian Teal (Anas gibberifrons)
BUT, Clements 6e, 2007 RECOGNIZES Anas gibberifrons as Sunda Teal - just not one of its subspecies as part of that. So say we were looking at the Sunda Teal species account just like we'd look at any other species account on Avibase, looking to see taxon references - it would SEEM that Clements 6e, 2007 doesn't recognize it! It's not listed!

So my conclusion is, to assume that because H&M isn't listed under "Anas albogularis" is speculative and uncertain. I want to see what H&M say in their actual text. I just don't know if this resource (Avibase) will cut it - despite the much good it's done us.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back