• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kent Orchids (1 Viewer)

I was at one of the Late Spider sites last tuesday and they appeared at their peak in full flower, there were however some young ones still appearing. They should be alright still but a friend of mine hade visited a site the previous day and he said they had started going over.

Unfortunately you will be a bit early for Lizard Orchid I think. Last year I didnt see them until 25th june and they still appeared quite young

Only managed one Late Spider in flower, the other plants had gone over or been eaten. ( I expected them to have hats on!) As a bonus there were several Lizzies in good flower alongside the various Broomrapes at the coast.

Dave

Could you PM me with which site you went to for LSO please? Depending on which site it is, this could mean a disastrous year for them. Last year was the best ever for numbers.

Cheers

Sean

Hi I'm heading down to Kent late April/early May 2009 can anyone tell me how Early spider Orchids are doing in Kent and am I likely to see any at Samphire Ho then. Also what other orchids, such as Lady Orchid, will be in flower.

cheers Nick

Hi Nick - ESO are doing very well at Samphire - late April to Early May is best, but the numbers are so large you will get early and late plants at this site - I recommend early May when some of the rare variants may be in flower. Awesome site!

Have a look at my website here and PM me if you have any queries

http://www.freewebs.com/jameshunter2/index.htm

Good Hunting,

James

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back