• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovision EL 10x32 or 10x42 (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

hello,what bino would you choose for general birding also in early morning and late evening when the light is not so good anymore .

I would vote for the 10x32 for the following reasons: it is WAAY lighter. After a few hours, the 42s feel as though you are carrying a cinder block around your neck, you hardly even feel the 32s; in theory the 42s should be better in the late evening or early morning, but, having owned both, that is not what I have found. I have directly compared them in poor light and did not notice much difference. If there was a slight difference, it is more than compensated for by the weight savings; the fov is wider in the 32s; the 32s are smaller and more portable (important when trying to reduce carry-on space.

Can't answer your question specifically, pimpleknees, not having tried the 10x ELs (I have tried the 8.5x EL and 8x32), but I can make a similar comparison between the 10x42 SE and 10x35 EII, which I have compared side-by-side extensively. Both glasses are "premium" in my book even if they don't cost an arm and a leg.

Unlike the ELs, there's little weight difference between the two bins - 24 oz. vs. 22 oz. - and the exit pupil in the EII is slightly bigger than the 10x32 EL; however, I would agree with our friend from USGS above that "wider is better." While the SE might take me a few minutes more into the late evening and allow me to see a bit more detail at sunrise (not an early bird myself, so not an issue for me), IMO, the trade off in FOV isn't worth the extra bit of time the 42s give you unless you are studying birds that are only active during those hours because it's easier to find birds with the wider FOV. For general use, I would chose the 10x32.

Brock

Last edited:
Pimpelmees (which is a very clever bird BTW),

You ask my opinion about a 10x racehorse.
Even though I never ever tried this type of horse I did compared extensively two 10x ninja turtles, which in my book gave me a lot of pleasure and cost a lot less.

Ninja turtles forever!!

He's back!!!

Jan

Last edited:
Welcome back Brock! :-O

Good to be back even though in a regenerated form. I'm looking forward to your review of the 8x42 SF. Be sure to start a new thread for SF reviews, otherwise it will be drowned in the sea of speculation on the present SF thread (2,000+ posts).

Now when are those 8x32 and 10x35 SFs coming out? (yes, they should increase the objective size in the 10x to give a bit more exit pupil size, just like they do in 10x compacts).

Brock

hello,what bino would you choose for general birding also in early morning and late evening when the light is not so good anymore .

I find for general use and for birding, a binocular with a 4mm exit pupil or
larger size is a preferred by most here. That helps with easy eye position and
comfortable use.

A 4mm exit pupil would include the 8x30-32, and 10x40-42.
The 10X needs the larger objective especially for your requirements
for use when the light gets dim.

I have the 8x32 EL, and it is a very nice binocular. I have experience
with 10x32 and find them not as easy to use, and not a good choice
for your request.

Jerry

Don´t know the 10x, but the 8x32 unfortunately is very prone to flare and ghosting, that would include bright sky over a dark forest. Many faster models are a better in this respect especially with closed pupil. The 8x42 SLC for example is a totally different beast and IMO has a much better image. I´ll get the 8.5x42 SV soon so I´ll check it out...

Don´t know the 10x, but the 8x32 unfortunately is very prone to flare and ghosting, that would include bright sky over a dark forest. Many faster models are a better in this respect especially with closed pupil. The 8x42 SLC for example is a totally different beast and IMO has a much better image. I´ll get the 8.5x42 SV soon so I´ll check it out...

Don't tell Dennis about this....;)

The Chicom binoculars are almost as good as the SV, and the second level in the Swaro line is much better. Quite an oddity I must say. :eek!::eek!::D:D3:)

Ever try the SLC's? Better glare control than the SV series, and [to my eye] better apparent sharpness and contrast. My 2nd favourite roof prism, really outstanding transparency.

Ever try the SLC's? Better glare control than the SV series, and [to my eye] better apparent sharpness and contrast. My 2nd favourite roof prism, really outstanding transparency.

Seconded. If edge sharpness isn't really important to you the SLC is an excellent choice.

If I were to buy a 42mm Swarovski roof I'd go for the SLC.

Hermann

Tried the 10x42 SLC-HD, and it is my 2nd favorite (spelled correctly ;)) roof prism, too. Besides the outstanding transparency and good glare control, it's virtually CA free in the centerfield and sharp almost to the edge, no need for transmission robbing field flatteners. The balance is also excellent. I will have to try the SV EL since I'm curious why some people would pay almost a $1,000 more for it, particularly now that the SLC has an open hinge design, which gives you enough room to wrap your fingers around the barrels.

Brock

My SV is one bright SOB.

The SLC has a bit higher transmission than your beloved and often referenced SOB, however, the SLC is "warmer" and much lower in the blue side of the spectrum than the EL, giving the EL better low light performance. I don't watch birds at night, so that doesn't matter to me. :smoke:

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back